HybridZ

Lighten up!

John Scott

John,

I'm glad you spoke up on this.

My only real gripe comes from those that are too lazy to try to write so that others can easily read their info. Or ones that like to be cute, and use street slang that many don't get. I personally don't believe I should have to try to decipher intentional street slang. In fact, it offends me when someone thinks I should do so.

You are getting to another issue that I have strong feelings about. The US has ALWAYS had immigrants that came here only knowing a language other than English. Many that felt the need learned English and almost always encouraged their offspring to learn it. Today, I see a PC trend that says Americans should bend over backwards and provide forms, signs, etc. etc. in other languages. I say BS. The official language is English. Learn it, or be left behind. I should NOT have to learn the language of an immigrant because THEY choose to not learn the one that the wide majority of people BORN in the US already speak and write - English.

(My ancenstors arrived here 100 years ago, speaking Ukrainian and German. They learned English, to better get along, better access services, and to try to "melt in".)

What I'm saying is I feel the US should RESIST what you are observing - that this country is changing in language. To me that is only due to either the laziness of immigrants or their feeling that the US should change IT'S language for them. Both of which I feel are ridiculous for someone coming into this country asking for all of the benefits it provides.

I realize this is a political statement, but at some point we will all have to deal with this issue on the forums we enter. Therefore, I feel it is apropos to the discussion.

But that said, I don't think that this site or any other should berate someone who does not have English as a first language about their grammar or spelling. That was never the intention of Rule #9. Rule #9 was to keep the street slang out, and to ask people to present their question and info in as clear a form (of English) as they can. What we have going on lately is laziness and "the cool factor" of using street slang, text messaging short cuts, etc. This is what we want to stop. Not posts by those that don't have a native command of English - we have always said we'd give them slack.

I think if you look at the cases where we've asked people to tighten up their writing, it is always the case that the person was being cute with street slang or text messaging shortcuts, or just being lazy about breaking up 10 thoughts into something that had 10 periods and Capital letters in it.

This site has standards - the clear exchange of technical info about these cars. It's management cares not to deal with the cutesy BS that many forums allow. We are here to communicate effectively so as to allow the most people as possible (that read English) to access the info, not to have a cute forum for people to practice their street slang and text messaging skills.

Of course, when someone is unable to write English clearly because of their background and language skills, we should never put them down.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think will weigh in to this one, I did add a reply to a thread that was written in “Text Speak†with the following:

“If you want an intelligent answer, from knowledgeable members please "Learnd hou 2 speech propper" and you may just obtain the answers to your questions. This is not a text message board!!â€

Trying to decipher some posts just makes my brain hurt.:bonk:

I used to be a member of an exceptional electronics type forum, and the standards were reasonably high as you would expect, then several threads were started regarding slightly illegal/pirating practices, and the majority of posts were degrading into slanging matches about who was better that others and the language degenerated to “Street Lingo†.

This board was quickly reduced to several morons insulting each other to the point that a lot of long term posters just gave up! And now the board is almost dead. So beware this is a great board and it should be held to OUR collective standards, and remember if you let a little go over a long time, it WILL be reduced to its lowest common denominator!

The standards on this board are very good, my hats is off to the moderators, most things are accepted by the majority with very few complaints/problems.

This board has a great mix from many non English speaking countries including the UK? (I am an Expatriate “POM†who now calls Australia Home).

Spelling mistakes are just that mistakes, but deliberate use of slang just lowers the standard.

Just my 2 cents worth, (AU$0.0271390) I will stop rambling on as I tend to do from time to time

I treat others as I want to be treated!

Interesting read, this post is! I, for one, look at these poorly written posts and just assume that the people who write them just have a very limited education! I tend to just pass these sort of posts over....no responce. What else is there to do, when you can't even decipher their code!!? Logic may imply that, if one is not capable of writing a comprehensive question, then likewise they are incapable of understanding a comprehensive answer!!! The old computer saying (GIGO) still holds true.....garbage in, garbage out.

No offense, but what about us original americans of the brown skin persuasion?! It's all the same pot folks, but here at least speed rules!

Well, Dr_Hunt, those guys that came over on boats way before my ancestors kind of screwed it up for you guys, no? Now you have to speak English to converse with all of us transplants! Definitely doesn't seem fair, does it. Unfortunately, in many things the majority rule is best. Never said it was ultimately fair!

We can distinguish two separate cultural trends here. Unfortunately it’s difficult to comment on either, without running afoul of our anti-politics dictates.

The first is what some might regard as the recalcitrance of immigrants or foreigners in not bothering to make sincere effort to learn English; and similarly, the perceived excessive accommodation of this recalcitrance by the mainstream society.

The second is shorter lag between youth generating a new slang, and the acceptance of that slang in the mainstream culture. That is, every generation had its rebels and its slang, but it seems that in the present generation the slang doesn’t pass through a stage of derisive dismissal, on its way to eventual acceptance.

The common theme is that newcomers haven’t taken their lumps; they insist on society conforming to their demands, instead of vice versa.

As a first-generation immigrant myself – whose native language is not English – I find myself torn between competing viewpoints. On the one hand, I take pride in having achieved a modicum of mastery in English, and find rather disappointing the dearth of comparable effort on the part of some of my peers. On the other hand, there is something distasteful in the rabid criticism of the new and the foreign, in a society whose very existence is predicated on affinity for change and rapid absorption of outside influences. Perhaps the compromise, as previous posters have noticed, is to censure (1) the obviously careless posters, and (2) those who contemptuously flaunt a membership in the latest clique with the latest colloquialism, who expect everyone else to realign their standards of discourse.

Now would some one please explain to me, regarding the newfangled concatenated/phonetic typing (“u r†instead of “you areâ€, “becuz†instead of “becauseâ€, and so forth) – to what extent are these and related trends due to:

(1) text messaging, instant messaging, etc.

(2) video games

(3) the latest urban slang, for example on the West Coast

(4) pop/rap music

(1) text messaging' date=' instant messaging, etc.

(2) video games

(3) the latest urban slang, for example on the West Coast

(4) pop/rap music[/quote']

I think it's mostly text and instant messaging. I honestly do not understand why anyone would bother with a text message. They are so hard to type out that it is just ridiculous. I can type an email at ~100 wpm. I bet if I text message I can probably get out 15 wpm. Explains why everything gets shortened though.

Rap has been doing the slang/ebonics thing for years, but it's the generation Y'ers that are really pushing this thing because of the text messaging as far as I can tell.

What I'm saying is I feel the US should RESIST what you are observing - that this country is changing in language. To me that is only due to either the laziness of immigrants or their feeling that the US should change IT'S language for them. Both of which I feel are ridiculous for someone coming into this country asking for all of the benefits it provides.

:2thumbs: Mad props yo!!!

Is this english grammer 101? I thought it was the most awesome hybrid z car site. Who the hell cares if someone does not use the proper punctuation, or spelling. What is really important here, the continued improvement/performance of the glorious Z car or somebody's rant about high school english skills? Geez people, why can't we all be friends? I just want the dopest, hip, legit, tight, kickin', hype, rad, so on, so forth, etc. Z ever. Who cares what language, spelling, grammer, ebonics, whatever, is used, the reason for all of us to communicate here is to share the trial/errors, ideas, dreams, knowledge, etc. of the fabulous Z car. There sre more things we al should be worried about. Take care fellow Z car fans. I'm done.......

Is this Gramer/Enrish 101? Uh, YES and NO...

It is paramount that we all communicate in the most effective means possible when getting questions answered, or relaying practicle information to others. This information STAYS on this site for years. It will come up again. It will be used again by others who will find it of great value later on.

I'm not a great speller, and Some times I make GW Bush look like an English Major. :lmao: That said, I think we can spot those who are just being lazy little children (Most being less than 20 years of age) and those who are not being lazy little children.

This is and has grown to be an international site for technical info. We will get people who are smart, but use broken english to make posts. We should help them as best we can. They aren't being lazy or silly... They are learning and we should help them, so long as they take no offense when we make the statement that their broken "enrish" is making our ability to help more difficult.

The rest, Yea I'll throw their arses out on their ears for being silly little children, and I'll take great pleasure in doing so. We had a LONG discussion a while back about gang/slang/wrap/ regional jibberash. It was decided and put into our rules to enforce. I DARE you to try and type that jibberash on a daily basis. We won't tolerate that nonsense.

I agree, we should gage it, be reasonable, and HELP first. We should also get rid of those who get offended when we comment that their grammar makes it near impossible to gain info for helping... Get rude and you get the door. Simple as that.

Mike

The free Google tool bar has a spell checker that works awesome.

It checks every form field on a web page. It highlights misspelled words and when you click them provides options that fill in automatically when you choose them. It identified four errors in this post, which I have corrected.

Is this english grammer 101? I thought it was the most awesome hybrid z car site. Who the hell cares if someone does not use the proper punctuation, or spelling.

Who cares if someone is TRYING to use ENOUGH punctuation that it looks like they are TRYING to get their point across? The moderators do, and I bet a huge portion of those that read this site.

HybridZ really isn't a class in English Grammar or Spelling. But it is a place where we will bust the chops of people who want to be cute with slang, text messaging, etc. or just string all of their post into a string of all lower (or upper case) text, with no beginning capitals, no sentences, no periods.

Love it or leave it, I say.

Here here!

A technical site deserves technically based and constructed dialogue.

Whats cool about this site is the diverse areas with which to share information. Even a tool shed!

The Moderators and administrators do a fantastic job of sweeping the floor when required.

This site sets an example that I wish others would follow.

Im very proud to be a member and recomend the site to any Z owner that I encounter.

Keep up the good work!

Dang me hopes me dent mis ba-spell anyting!:cheers: