HybridZ

Aircraft Engined 240z

Chewievette

How many other people are running around in overboosted engines or huge power big blocks that really should stick to the strip? I wont be the only one, trust me. Sure these engines can let go in a very bad kinda way but have you seen what some car engines can do? I'm not trying to say that its not an issue but what are the acctual odds that this engine will come apart? I'm not an idiot, I realize there are issues, all of which have answers. I dont even know if this will become a reality or not, I just wanted to get your opinions and I did so, thank you. In the mean time I'll keep planning my other engine swap and leave you to resume flaming.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 73Turbo240z
How many other people are running around in overboosted engines or huge power big blocks that really should stick to the strip? I wont be the only one, trust me. Sure these engines can let go in a very bad kinda way but have you seen what some car engines can do? I'm not trying to say that its not an issue but what are the acctual odds that this engine will come apart? I'm not an idiot, I realize there are issues, all of which have answers. I dont even know if this will become a reality or not, I just wanted to get your opinions and I did so, thank you. In the mean time I'll keep planning my other engine swap and leave you to resume flaming.

I've never seen a car motor blow it's entire cylinder assembly through the roof of a building...

Given the frequency that they are saying these motors seem to let go in, i felt it was relevant to mention that your playing with fire, if not for others safety, what of your own? lets say cylinders 2 or 4 let go... if there loaded with the power that others are saying, that could rip your whole strut assembly out of your car as your driving... needless to say, that could be bad...

No ones flaming, just pointing out the various sides of the puzzle.

Remember when the R/C car craze erupted?

First it was all electric. And of course people started to turn to gas engines for obvious reasons. At the time there were no small gas engines available for cars but there was a near unlimited supply of R/C aircraft engines on the market. Hobbyist began using these engines as a swap into the cars that were manufactured for electric motors. Big fun yes?

Well it became apparent real quick that the gas engines were designed for thrust loading and lacked the sack for the torque loads that were being thrown at it. Of course the gas cars were still popular which drove the market to produce car specific engines.

There is a significant difference in the internals due to the task that each engine is required to perform.

Dont want to repeat history in a more expensive fashion, yes?

No flames, just love. You asked!:mrgreen:

I see where you guys are coming from and while all very valid points I must point out that this most likely wont happen for two reasons, one when was the last time you saw someone give away two engines? I cant buy them so free is the only other option. Second, I like to make waves in a much more subtle way so I think I might just stick with my twin turbo L28. Thanks for all the ideas guys, I really do appreciate it. I think I'm back on the rocker again ...mostly.

lets say cylinders 2 or 4 let go... if there loaded with the power that others are saying, that could rip your whole strut assembly out of your car as your driving... needless to say, that could be bad...

Bad would be a nice way of putting it. If I ever see you on the road, I'm staying WAY behind you. Otherwise, DUDE, that would be soo cool. I love seeing unusual powerplants in ANY car. More power to ya if you can find a way to do it safely.

I know this not the same situation but, I immeadiately thought of Preston Tucker.

grabbed from a Google search

"...Tucker had promised 150 hp (112 kW), and his innovative 589 was not working out, so another engine was sourced. The company first tried the Lycoming aircraft engine but it would not fit in the car's rear engine compartment. The Franklin air-cooled helicopter flat-6 did fit, however, so Tucker purchased four samples for $5,000 each. The company's engineers converted it to a water-cooled design, and its 166 hp (124 kW) pleased Tucker. He quickly bought the Franklin company to secure the engine source..."

The safety factor here is that the Tucker was rear engine...

Just my $0.02

Jay

• 1 month later...
Guest Fulcrum
when I was on the flightline we used to see how high the -60's would shoot our gloves up in the air. yeah' date=' it was a big FOD hazard but fun nonetheless.

sorry, I dont think this idea of putting a very unpredictable airplane motor in a Z a smart idea either. However you would get some serious "cool" points if you did do it and would probly enjoy the heck out of it until it grenaded. peace.[/quote']

In Korea, I had a guy that was always late showing up to relieve me during one exercise. I had a -60 for doing a power on check in my HAS. I decide to leave him a little present in the -60 exhaust. I just wish I had been there when he fired up the -60 and poo flew everywhere. Needless to say, he wasn't late ever again.

I think that the point is that whereas the engine itself might be free, solving the various system integration issues (cooling, gearing, reliability, and so forth) would be very un-free - to the extent that it would be cheaper in the long run to avoid the free engine entirely.

I'm surprised knowone mentioned the maximum RPM limit on there engines! Even if all the other issues were resolved, you'd be pretty limited speed wise don't you think? Grand idea for sure....but sometimes they are best left as just an idea!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest vtailer

I am looking for two GSO 460 Lycomings. Does your instructor still have them? Can you give me a contact for him?'

Thanks,

Guest vtailer

If your school is an A&P school, I may be able to "trade" an aircraft panel instrument trainer to your instructor. I manufacture them for A&P schools. They are used to demonstrate gyroscopic principals, vacuum system R&R, as well as instrument R&R in the laboratory environment.

I have recently purchased a twin bonanza just like the one in the background of your engine picture and I would at least like to talk with your instructor regarding the characteristics of the carburetors as well as other systems on the GSO480 engines.

Could you allow me to contact your instructor?

Regards,

Scott

Dude!

Air cooled:nono:

Designed primarilly for thrust loading and not for direct torque loads:eek:

Did you know that if a prop so much as even strikes an object that the bearings have to be replaced! Bolted to a tranny will cause the main bearing to go in a hurry:confused2

Way too wide!!

Shaft miss-match:shock:

And the 480 is not a "derated" engine. In fact' date=' thoes engines are on the brink of their capabilities at full power. They are very particular about going out of there design parameters. Ever heard the term "woofed a jug"?

"Thermal shock"?

They even have a limit on how long they can be run at full power with out flying apart!!:cool:

From a pressure carb set up to fuel injection!!

Yep I would say that you have lost your mind:mrgreen: :ugg:

I do like the air boat Idea!

But dont let me stop you, I only hold a Airframe and Powerplant certificate and an Aviation Science Degree.

I may be looking at it the wrong way:2thumbs:[/quote']

:iagree:

As a fellow A&P I'd have to agree. I don't think this would turn out like you hoped....if it were possible to fit it in there and cool it, I think that would be just the start of your problems. They're designed for completely different applications than what a car is going to put it through.

Sorry to be discouraging..... prove us wrong, I'd love to see it work.

P.S. Have you priced out Aircraft parts !!?:shock: