HybridZ

New Project eventually, Opinions.

alsil

So when my wife is done with school, I get some free time on my hands as soon as she gets her high-paying well-deserved killer job. So I want to do a low-key fun car.

There are a few cars I'm considering, all pre-smog (well, for WA) cars, RWD, and easy to modify. My choices at the moment are:

- Early (71-74) Celica (RA21)

- Early Z (70-72)

- Mustang (65-68) or (95-98)

- Falcon (61-63)

- 300ZX (90-96)

I know, this is a Z forum, but there's a couple of reasons I'm thinking of other cars also instead of a Z:

1. Early (S30) Z's all have fumes. Drove me CRAZY. Every Z I ever had would make me smell like a gas station.

2. I've had 10 Z's.

3. I've only had 1 early Celica, 1 early Mustang, always liked Falcons.

So here's my question: what's the best way to get rid of the fume issue? I realize it's a design thing, and the fumes get sucked back in through bad hatch, taillight, gas, and window seals. I've also seen people use turndowns on their exhaust. Do you have to overkill on the seals on all of the above to make it work? I had a similar issue in my old '66 Mustang, but I put in the cardboard spacer between the trunk and back seat and it totally went away.

Ever since I first saw the Z32 I've wanted one, so I might just buy one and enjoy it. Not sure if I'd even mess with it (yea right), but it would be fun. So that might be the way I go. Dunno yet.

Opinions? :mrgreen:

On the fume issue, not sure if I'm just lucky or what, but my '73 has zero fumes. Silicone sealer around the tail lights, MSA hatch seal, and that was it. Still has original (rotted) quarter window and hatch glass seals.

I had no fumes problems in my 77 or 78. The rear hatch gasket in my 76 is missing and still I only occasionally get fumes. I'm sure you can get a Z without leaks...Z all the way!

Z32's are nice, but I've heard they are a nightmare to work on. Do you have a lift in your garage?

I had no fumes problems in my 77 or 78. The rear hatch gasket in my 76 is missing and still I only occasionally get fumes. I'm sure you can get a Z without leaks...Z all the way!

Z32's are nice' date=' but I've heard they are a nightmare to work on. Do you have a lift in your garage?[/quote']

Nah, wish I did. I have enough room, just not the $$ to get one.

Every Z I've owned had the fumes issue. I even made my own taillight gaskets, and the fumes still came in the hatch.

I know that where the exhaust tip sits has a lot to do with it too, anybosy have any ideas about that?

try a 3 foot pipe sticking way out of the car.

I fixed my fumes by doing the tail light gaskets and making sure the hatch was well sealed with the gasket. Also, the holes in the hatch were sealed, and the bumper bracket holes, from when I removed my bumper. LOTS of little holes back there, you just gotta track 'em all down.

What about the 69-70 Mustang? I've always thought that the fastbacks from those years were the best looking mustangs ever. Kinda hard to find for a low price though, and the coupes from those years take some work to look as good as the 68 and earlier ones IMO. If you can lower yourself to driving a Chevy product ( :) ) the old Camaro and Firebird are pretty cool too.

Mike

What about the 69-70 Mustang? I've always thought that the fastbacks from those years were the best looking mustangs ever. Kinda hard to find for a low price though' date=' and the coupes from those years take some work to look as good as the 68 and earlier ones IMO. If you can lower yourself to driving a Chevy product ( :) ) the old Camaro and Firebird are pretty cool too.

Mike[/quote']

Yea, I like the 69-70 Mustangs from the outside, but inside the dash sits a bit high and feels BIG. I had a '66 for 5 years, and it sat just right inside, dash was in a great place (not too high) and the seats for simple buckets were great.

I like early Camaros and Firebirds but they've been done to death (not that Mustangs haven't). Although a '70 with an LS2, T56, some 18's, and big discs would be killer :mrgreen:

Honestly - whatever I get has to be LOW BUDGET. I went WAY over budget with my last car (oh, alright, all of 'em) and need to keep this reasonable.

What do you need this car to do? The '69-'70 Boss gets my vote, but it's not like any of these cars you have chosen are interchangeable. In terms of size, price, or sophistication, all these cars are miles apart. Z32 ideally would need the least resto, and the Falcon and Mustang would put you in a whole other circle of friends for the most part (although I'd still think either car were cool, and not be embarrassed to ride out with one). You could always get a 64 1/2 mustang and swap in an L28et F&F3 style, then you could still hold your head high around here, right?

I side with Olie...Falcon...If you are not dead set on another z....Want something cool, low price and easy to drive...Thats a falcon...My younger brother got a 61 2 dr for under $1000. Pretty good shape. Alot of the mustang drivetrain still works as well. Some Aussie members might be able to help with the better head from down there. Triple carb setup. Pretty pricey here if you can find one.

I vote for the 65-66 Mustang. Even a I-6.

A while back I wanted to do a '63 Falcon 2-door wagon "surfer" style, but the replacement parts (cosmetic/interior pieces) prices scared me off. 65-68 Mustang are a lot less than 60-65 Falcon. Must be a supply/demand thing since the mechanical platforms are so similar.

How about a z31 '84-'89 300ZX? too bland? boxy? Mr. K's Fatlady comment?

When I first got my 1977 280Z it had fume issues. I drove it about 10-11 years with the fumes and then I went after it. I replaced all the seals in the car - hatch, windows, doors, etc and then I sealed the back deck area where the access to the fuel level sender and the fuel injection hoses pass through. I no longer have fumes. For them to get inside there must be passage somewhere. If you smell exhaust fumes there is a leak somewhere. Find the leak - stop the fumes.

Z32 - I've had a 1993 convertible automatic for nearly two years now. If you want something that is easy to drive and a lot of fun to tool around in it is your car. It has decent accelleration, handles very well, excellent brakes, a fantastic AC system, and an ok stereo. The convertible top is easy to operate and pretty weather tight - but not car wash tight.

Downside - forget working on even an NA version unless your lifes dream is to work in hot, small places knowing you'll have to disassemble several items to get to the one you need to work on. Also - there are no new spare parts for a convertible top mechanism. You break a part and you'll need to try to track one down in a slvage yard - if you can even find one in a salvage yard. There were less than 3,800 Z32 'verts made.

Celica - nice car but not as nice as the Z32. It will, however, be esier to work on.

Ford Falcon - Classic - parts are available and they take well to V8 install - but it's still 60's technology.

Ford Mustang - what can I say - they are everywhere.