HybridZ

Post your photography!!

tfreer85

• Administrators

Oldest daughter talked me into going on a nice hike up around the back side of Multnomah falls in the Columbia River Gorge this AM. Made the 30 minute drive from the house up to Multnomah falls, left the parking lot on foot at 9am, returned back to the rig at 1:30. Wonderful gorgeous day, hiked several miles climbing over 1600 feet in elevation, many gorgeous water falls, a few natural springs, etc.

Here are a few shots I took on todays hike;

DSC_4762.jpg

DSC_4785.jpg

DSC_4805.jpg

DSC_4838.jpg

DSC_4853.jpg

DSC_4897.jpg

DSC_4899.jpg

• Replies 713
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice shots, Paul, P-factor, and tx1021!!

Were the shots from the Yak taken with the canopy open, or through very clean glass?

Tx, great exposure on that first one.  Almost looks like HDR.  I suppose it was a very overcast condition.

Perfect weather yesterday for a fly-in.

Dark green aircraft is a Nanchang CJ-6, yellow and gray is a North American AT-6, the blue and white is a Yak 52, and I was shooting from another Yak 52.

4449648248_d99f1af521_b.jpg

So how come the Commies aren't shooting at that Murrican plane he he, nice pics.

Nice shots, Paul, P-factor, and tx1021!!

Were the shots from the Yak taken with the canopy open, or through very clean glass?

They were all shot through the closed canopy. I had it open at the stop (which is like 3 or 4 inches open) but it wasn't any easier to get the shots because I had to be able to move around and shoot rapid-fire. It was pretty bumpy yesterday so the formation was a little sloppier than we like, so I had to wait for just the right moments when they were all lined up and then fire. Opening it up all the way wouldn't work either because the wind kept blowing my sunglasses off my face and making my eyes water! I took a bunch of videos with the smaller camera during some of the more interesting maneuvers like breaks and re-groups and during our follow-the-leader aerobatic session. I held the second camera out into the slipstream during the takeoff and landing and shot video too.

• 3 weeks later...

Braap I love your daughter and I don't even know her.

The picture of that house reminds me so much of this one train set that was in the same tent as my dads booth at the Texas State Fair. It was a Bavarian Gardens train set, but it was huge, like 27 feet tall. It rotated with the train going around and it was like a 360º Bavarian mountainous landscape with cottages. I had to help Dad with the booth which was essentially me just sitting there doing nothing. Accidentally wore long sleeves and this was in the middle of Texas summer so I was dying, however, I stared at that train set spinning around for like 2 hours straight and zoned off. It was so peaceful. My favorite part of the set was the big 2 story house that was built into the cliff side with big pine trees I guess they are, all around. Your picture looks almost like it, the major difference is that its not built into the cliff wall and it doesn't have that rustic look, only because the windows look newish and stuff.

Its amazing! I'll try and find a picture of the train set. Ever since I saw it, I've always wanted a house like that.

Edited by josh817

Hey guys,

I've been watching this thread for a long time, and have been really impressed with the stuff posted up! I'm still learning a lot of the post-production stuff, so I don't have a ton to share, but I was hoping for an opinion here.

I'm looking at picking up a relatively inexpensive telephoto for my D60 and have been looking at these two.

This Sigma 70-300mm

and this Tamron 70-300mm.

Any input on either of them, or a suggestion of something else?

I've read a few reviews on them, and they both seem like a good buy for the price, but I was wondering what you guys would pick given the option :)

Hey guys,

I've been watching this thread for a long time, and have been really impressed with the stuff posted up! I'm still learning a lot of the post-production stuff, so I don't have a ton to share, but I was hoping for an opinion here.

I'm looking at picking up a relatively inexpensive telephoto for my D60 and have been looking at these two.

This Sigma 70-300mm

and this Tamron 70-300mm.

Any input on either of them, or a suggestion of something else?

I've read a few reviews on them, and they both seem like a good buy for the price, but I was wondering what you guys would pick given the option :)

I have the Sigma 80-400 lens and it's pretty nice.  I also have a Sigma 18-50 which is really sharp.  The telephoto lens is no Nikor or Canon L series, but for the price, you get a decent lens.  Just beware that there are a lot of variations, so if you don't like the photo quality of the lens you get, exchange it for the same model until you get a good one.  These bargain lenses do vary from piece to piece.  Good lens review here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/  I find them very accurate.  You can also go to http://www.airliners.net/ and sort through the photos by lens used.  This way you can see the quality differences between the big dollar stuff and the OK stuff.  I only had one really cheap Tamron so I can't comment on those.  I like the Sigmas overall.

Edited by cygnusx1

Thanks for the input Dave :)

I checked out some of the reviews on fredmiranda and it looks like a lot of good info!

Another option is this Nikkor 55-200mm, which is in the same price range. I've shot it before, and was fine with the image quality, but the lens felt a bit on the cheap side with it's lightweight plastic construction. I shot a buddy's 70-300mm (although I can't remember any details on it) and remember liking the available zoom range, but as of now I'm open to any telephoto in the $150-$175 ballpark.

My wide angle is in need of a repair so it seems like a great time to pick something else to fill it's spot in the camera bag in its absence.

Lol you guys are discussing these nice fancy camera's. I feel stupid taking pictures with my shady $100 Walmart cam. Here are some pictures from around home. I became intrigued with the sun. The pictures with snow are from when I went to Rhode Island. The mansions believe it or not are actually the dorms for college students at Salve Regina in New Port! I couldn't believe it when my mom told me she stayed in the brown mansion. That would just blow my mind.

konfc.jpg

2q00xzq.jpg

w8n9sl.jpg

65d9v7.jpg

fn722h.jpg

fnbuaa.jpg

10ru2vk.jpg

a1sm51.jpg

ztc11k.jpg

2qduyw8.jpg

4tab7q.jpg

akzsxv.jpg

24nr9mo.jpg

atukk5.jpg

4sjslu.jpg

These are some old old pictures of previous trips.

France:

2vxg3lh.jpg

2aht742.jpg

wlco9.jpg

Mexico:

ndvs06.jpg

eu0yf6.jpg

And finally my dad looking like Hitler at my baptismal:

mv2phc.jpg

Edited by josh817

Hooray for free entry to National Parks week!

Here are a few pictures from a bit of hiking I did today.

Southern Utah may have a near complete dearth of Datsun parts, but having this less than an hour from your house makes up for it a bit I guess.

angelslandingpanohc1000.jpg

hiddencanyonsandstoneswirlies1000.jpg

hiddencanyontrailpic1000.jpg

The chains are there for support while hiking near 1000+ foot falls. This one has apparently been in place for a while.

hiddencanyonchain1000.jpg

Edited by blue72

@Blue72: I love the southwest. My wife and I lived in Utah for a little while and we loved to hike all around the whole area. Zion, Canyonlands, Arches, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, etc..

It looks like you hiked the Angels Landing Trail in Zion. Been there, it's amazing!

Here's a shot showing the rest of the guys why the chains are there. It gets even more precarious as we climbed and I didn't want to lose the camera over the side!

2482802999_53e3d8dd8e.jpg

Edited by p-factor

• 4 months later...

I took these today while going for a ride in a friend's' car. Thought some of you guys might like some shots I ended up with. No real post processing, no time for it lately. Just mild crops and resizing to get to the ratio I've been using, and a size good for internet usage. I've been gravitating towards the 5x7 ratio lately. It's very close to most print sizes, and I like the look of it too.

Icon of insanity:

STILogo.jpg

Taste of whats to come:

STIDyno.jpg

2nd gear rowing:

STIRedline.jpg

MORE BOOST!:

STIBoost.jpg

Camera was a D40 w kit lens (18 to 55 non VR) set in Aperture manual mode, set wide open. ISO 800

Edited by Gollum