HybridZ

Last Of A Classic..So SexxxXXY...Pics!

slownrusty

I have always had a weakness for these cars, to me it represented a time when Toyota were pioneering Technology and interested in building great cars, unlike today where their focus is Camrys, Avalons...hopefully that will change with the new Supra.

Anyway, my closest friend Shawn, has this '91 MR2 Turbo that has lived a beautifully charmed life, it has less than 50K miles on the 3SGTE motor! Still has the original timing belt! The car has lived a charmed and garaged life and at the same time tastefully upgraded in the 8years or so he has owned it. This car has been driven probably twice in the last 8months.

Some upgrades:

1) Spearco Air To Water Intercooler

2) T3T4 Turbo

3) Custom 3" Downpipe

4) 38mm TiAL wastegate

5) Full 3" Stainless Authentic GarageFuki Exhaust

6) Running 15-16psi of boost

7) Autometer Gages, HKS Elec. Boost Controller

8) Beautiful $$ Bride seats (sorry forgot to photograph)

9) Some nice suspension work

10) Rota 17" Wheels

The car is putting down a conservative 300hp (probably more actually), it boogies.

These cars are pain in the a$$ to work on and after wrenching on them, I feel like I need to go see the chiropractor..LOL! With it being mid-engined, you are always stretched over trying to get to things and my lower back makes sure and lets me know. Still a beautiful and stunning car. A clutch job is pending, that I will more than likely being participating-in, should be interesting.

Here are the pics, what do you guys think....?

234905090.jpg

234905088.jpg

234905085.jpg

234905080.jpg

234902817.jpg

Happy weekend to all!

Yasin

Guest TeamNissan

You know my friend actualy made a like 2.5 foot high dolly to lay on while he worked on his mr2 because his back bothered him so much lol. Like with a 6 inch lip so it would have him laying right next to the bay.

I love those mr2's I had a n/a beater for a while but I'm way to tall for them, with the seat all the way back my knees still hit the steering wheel.

I had to sell it......

Yours is looking good, hope to see more.

One of my friends have one and he worked on it so much, that he now knows it by heart. Whenever he needs big work done, he "simply" drop the whole subframe/drivetrain and work on a bench, he told me he's so used to doing this that it takes him no more than an hour to drop the thing down.

He probably took the drivetrain out at least 15 time in the last year LOL.

I can actually drop the whole subframe including wiring harness, engine, drivetrain and wheels in less than 35 minutes. on a fiero that is :).

Unfortunately I have lots of experience with fiero's. They are absolutely horrible to work on. Everything is rusted in place and very hard to get to. And also the enginering is pretty bad.

But I do love the looks of a nice fiero GT fastback. maybe swap a sr20det in there?

oh, I'am sorry if this turns into a fiero thread. THe MR2 is a lot better car for shure. I just can't resist it if a fiero is mentioned.

IMO the Fiero was gm's atempt at a copy cat of sorts to the MR2.. Small lightweight mid engine 2 seater. The design philosophy was similar, take bits and pieces from the existing parts bins, and throw them into a little sport chasis... The V6 fieros were at least peppy I guess... :roll: Crappy 4 cyl, terrible brakes, and quite heavy too for a 'sports car' ..... Even if the Toyota is a little pricy and a pita to work on, I still think the mr2 is the better car in the end. Decent motors, suspension, a TRULY light weight/well designed chasiss. Me ana a friend almost bought 3 of them a few years back (2 86's and one 87) and were going to build two out of them... deal fell through though.. shady seller and questionable ownership issues.. too bad, but then I bought the Z so I'm not too bothered now. :D I really love the 2nd gen's though they're still out of my price range for now.. :? That one is very nice btw!

The second gen MR2 was the first car my youngest stepson ever drove... Lasted 32 days, before he crashed and totalled it. They are noisy as all getout inside, and I wasn't a fan of the seats, but otherwise it was a capable, nice ride with a very unique look to it.

Working on them? I'll pass thanks! :lmao:

Mike

I knew a guy once (he introduced himself as: "Xenos"...yeah, I just let it ride and played along) that had one of those MR-2s. He decided it would be a good idea to put some Lucas Oil additive in it. Which probably WOULD have been a good idea, but what he ACTUALLY ran throught the crankcase was Lucas TRANSMISSION oil additive. Stripped every bearing and destroyed the turbo...It was a nice car too. I remember thinking the turbo looked awfully large for a factory piece. speaking of turbos, what the heck is a twin-entry turbo?

Dude - the Fiero and MR2's came out at the same time - the Fiero may have been first....

That may very well be true, but Toyota does not do a very good job at concealing new cars, the exception to the this may be the new (if ever produced) Supra. GM could've easily seen the car and/or specs well before production. I am not saying that did in fact happen; just pointing out that coming out in the same year doesn't mean it wasn't influenced or copied from another car in the same production year.

Well truth be known, I had a Fiero at one time and liked it:roll:

First of all you were alone in the bathroom with a new wheel,doing who knows what, and now you like Fiero's? Geez, you need to place a call to Dr. Phil. Just kidding man, LOL!