HybridZ

what spark plugs are you running?

big-phil

some of those gaps seem big? I'm running NGK bpr7es-11 gapped at .025 and running 17lbs trying to run 20lbs but she keeps sputtering out? my gap was .028 but now .025 its running a little better but I still get a little sputter at high boost, if I lower the boost the sputter goes away. I'm going to get a new cap and rotor mine is kind of old, and that might also have a part in it.

Here's the recommended plug for 1981 L28E and L28ET: NGK BPR6ES-11 gap .039-.042 in. BPR5 for hot and BPR7 for cold. This is per the Factory Service Manual.

I'm sure once the boost goes up you gotta close that gap but that's the factory specs.

Just for the hell of it here's the gap for the 1978 L28E.

NGK B6ES for normal, B5ES for hot, B7ES for cold, gap is .025-.029 unless it's a ES-11 where it's .039-.043 also.

(I have FSM for 77, 78, and 81 z cars)

Mightymax,

Even if they had iridium plugs in the 70's (i doubt it) there is no way an economy minded company like Datsun (thier slogan was "datsun saves") would have recommended such expensive plugs.

I don't either, NGK copper core plugs are fine, it's not like it's hard to change 'em out on an L28..if it takes you 10 minutes on an L28 you're taking your time, so why bother with plugs that last 60-100K miles, when with a turbo you're gonna be changing them often anyway. Iridium sure seems like a waste of money to me.

To answer phil's Q I'm running the BPR6ES-11's with a .039 gap.

So far I've only been running 7psi of boost.

some of those gaps seem big? I'm running NGK bpr7es-11 gapped at .025 and running 17lbs trying to run 20lbs but she keeps sputtering out? my gap was .028 but now .025 its running a little better but I still get a little sputter at high boost, if I lower the boost the sputter goes away. I'm going to get a new cap and rotor mine is kind of old, and that might also have a part in it.

I just re-read your post and you need to get non-11's so bpr7es. The -11 means more extended gap. .040" or bigger. If you plan to run less than .040" then run the non-11.

The difference is the electrode arm is shorter so it is perpendicular at .025" vs being angled down.

I just bought a new coil because the car started sputtering. It a Mallory promaster E coil 51,000 volts. I had a blaster 2 on there that was a loner until I could get one, and it still sputterd. My wires are almost new. Accel 8mm. Where is my igniter?

I just re-read your post and you need to get non-11's so bpr7es. The -11 means more extended gap. .040" or bigger. If you plan to run less than .040" then run the non-11.

The difference is the electrode arm is shorter so it is perpendicular at .025" vs being angled down.

Good info from Thumper.

I have also filed the electrode to almost point and it seeemed to help. Try it on a old set of plugs and see if makes any difference for you. If it helps then try it on a new set.