Hood Vents

260Mopar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks great Chino! Nice installation. Thanks for the info. I too have a fiberglass hood, a Subtle Z from Reaction Research. Ebay is where I spotted them too but it's an old auction and I can't run down the manufacturer or vendor.

Keep up the good work!

DirtyRat.jpg

I have a set of those as well, I haven't installed them yet. They were about 100 dollars give or take...I like the look a lot IMO, just a little different than the standard vent covers.

Tyson

Did you get them off ebay too?

DirtyRat.jpg

I'll see if I can dig up the receipt in the huge pile of receipts....:cry2:

I picked them up from a guy that had only a couple left last year but he said he was getting ready to order up some more, or run another batch through the molds or something like that. Over the weekend I'll look for the contact. I don't think it was much over about $100 or so. You can prep them to be painted too, I just left them in the raw rubber/plastic state. I think they can directly drop into a 280 hood vent and couple screws into the bottom, trim the metal screen and done.

Did you get them off ebay too?

Yes I had gotten them off ebay about 4 months ago or so, no longer in my ebay log. As Chino has already said they do drop directly in on the 280Z vented hood, I had test fitted mine briefly putting things in storage.

Tyson

No, I went Ol' Skool. 82 louvers cut in my hood by a hot rodder. He charged $1 each. Not bad, a $20 junkyard hood with $82 of mods. I think this hood was an option on original Z's and costs $800 plus shipping from MSA.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=5859&cat=500&ppuser=8105

Here is the MSA hood. It is the same, just a different angle.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/7BSA03/50-1440

Here is what I have on the SS louvers

zz_005.jpg

What side markers are those? I like the side fender vent, was that custom fabed, or one grafted in? Looks good, I'm just not a huge fan of SS louvers. It does look good though.

edit: Since I have a 280 hood already on without vents, those don't look like they would be wide enough and the right shape. Also the hood raises up slightly by the vent holes. If I can't find those black ones posted above, I guess I will have to find some stockers.

The side markers are from a new VW Bug. I got the recesses from a junk yard and welded them in. The side vents are from a camaro. I set them on the inside and molded them in. Had a heck of a time with cracking at first. I finally used glass reinforced filler on the back side and flexable filler on the outside. No more cracking problems. I would rather went with cut in hood louvers but couldn't find anyone who did them.

Hey the car is a driver and at 60 mph going by it looks ok.