HybridZ

2007 Altima engine START/STOP button in my '06 350Z

Guest gregz33

Guest gregz33

I like the looks of the 2007 Altima engine START/STOP button so I decided to retrofit one into my '06 350Z 6MT. I purchased the start button assembly from Nissan and had to modify it a bit due to the way the function LED's were originally wired (common anode instead of common cathode like I needed). I then built a relay control circuit to control two Bosch 30A SPDT automotive relays, one for the "START" function and the other for the "STOP" function. I fabricated a harness to tie the control board box and relays into the factory harness at the ignition switch. I placed the button on the center console just above and to the left of the 6-speed shifter. Looks like it could be OEM.

Video URL:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1715882777329947104

Original development thread with pics:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268183

Wow..a 2006...talk to us about 70-78 when Z's were Z's....lol..not even close, say all you want about HP and this and that..but we who own 240's-280's have sports cars..the rest..call them what you want but 78 was the end of Datsun/Nissan and the true sports cars..( prior to the 78 1/2 when Datsun/Nissan started to add power this and power that..cruise control..etc)..it ended with the last ones manufactured prior to Dec of 77

Wow..a 2006...talk to us about 70-78 when Z's were Z's....lol..not even close, say all you want about HP and this and that..but we who own 240's-280's have sports cars..the rest..call them what you want but 78 was the end of Datsun/Nissan and the true sports cars..( prior to the 78 1/2 when Datsun/Nissan started to add power this and power that..cruise control..etc)..it ended with the last ones manufactured prior to Dec of 77

Reason for this? You do realize you ruled out just about EVERY major SPORTS CAR produced by any major car company right? Maybe you should go back and read the Rules/Guidelines and step down from the S30 only soap box. http://forums.hybridz.org/announcement.php?f=93&a=2

6. Remember, this is a Hybrid site. Do not ever get on the purist Datsun/Nissan soapbox or promote Datsun/Nissan only swaps. The Admins/moderators will not tolerate this. The mere mention of keeping your Z "all Datsun" will be frowned upon. Several other sites exist for this mindset.

You completely misunderstood the post as well as the reasoning behind it..realizing this is a hybird forum and having some mods on my own Z which does not keep it stock..my point was that Nissan got away from the Sports Car beginnning with the 79 model..until 79 Z cars were more like the original idea of a sports car..road like one , handled like one , looked like one and on and on , in 79 with the changes made the Z left the realm of a historically true sports car i.e Triumph , MG, Austin, Porsche, sports cars that didnt have power windows, power seats, cruise control , flip up headlights etc..performance and a sports car ride ( due to the suspensions being geared for driving, racing etc and not the smooth ride of a sedan or other style coupe..

The post had nothing to do with the fact the guy has an 06 but all to do with the fact that those of us who are 50 or older and have been around for the days of "sports cars" know the difference in sports cars pre 79 and those going forward..the ride changed , the ideas changed , the amenities changed and on and on..

As said , my Z is not stock , if my idea was to keep it totally stock then I wouldnt post here..

I think you totally misunderstood my post as well as definition of a sports car..sure Porsche made changes..based on their racing , however they maintained the Porsche image..Datsun / Nissan got away from that again beginning in 79..whatever...like I said I think you misunderstood the idea of the post to begin with...

Now on to other things..as in turning off the darned parking brake light without having to remove the dash to disarm the darned thing.. :)

No harm , no foul

I like it.

I just bought an 07 Altima last weekend and it's a really nice car. It comes with a couple of proximity detectors (looks similar to a regular keyless remote with buttons for locking, trunk, etc.) that allow you to just push a button on the door to enter the car, then you put your foot on the brake and hit the start/stop button to start the car. My wife just keeps the fob in her purse and never needs to take it out. When she lets me drive it, I just put the other fob in my pocket.

Guest gregz33
Very cool. Gota like a guy that mods a new Z. Welcome to Hybrid Z. Now about that LS1 swap.............

Thanks for welcome and comments. I'm very conservative about mods in that I like to do them but maintain an OEM feel to them, if that makes any

sense. As an example, I wondered "If Nissan offered the 350Z Turbo from the factory, what would the OEM boost gauge look like?" I fabbed my interpretation using the guts from a cheap vacuum/boost gauge I bought off of ebay. I had a custom gauge face made and placed it where the stock VOLTS gauge went, just like Nissan did on the S130 and Z31 turbos. The accuracy was off in the BOOST range by about 1.5 psi but I think it was because of an error in designing the new scale:

24094a9239.jpg

020424fad9.jpg

1baeaa9947.jpg

7fba4a1c93.jpg

First off let me say that your work is beautiful gregz33! Having built a Turbo 350Z for a buddy, I can really appreciate the work that it took to make those things look stock/so clean!

Second.....

The post had nothing to do with the fact the guy has an 06 but all to do with the fact that those of us who are 50 or older and have been around for the days of "sports cars" know the difference in sports cars pre 79 and those going forward..the ride changed , the ideas changed , the amenities changed and on and on..

So having power windows and a/c makes turns a new Vette/350Z/RX-8/RX-7/Miata/911 Turbo/Viper/etc into what a family coupe? I'm sorry but I think your posts were poor in taste and not right for this site, save it for zcar.com.:icon56:

Guest gregz33

Thanks, 80LT1, for your kind words. Not to hijack my own thread, but one of the things I'd like to do next is put the '81 280ZXT NACA ducts on a 350Z hood. Below is a quick-n-dirty p-shop to give you an idea:

ad96faa250.jpg

Greg

• Administrators

GregZ33,

First off, welcome to Hybrid. You’ll find that 99.9% of the members here are friendly, pleasant, and are very supportive of even some of the most odd ball of projects. Your project is NOT at all oddball, and very much falls into the Hybrid mindset, “mods to our beloved Z cars that satisfies our inner cravings to make it better!”. We make an effort not to discriminate on techniques and parts used, though some of us will question why on some ideas and concepts. bemad.gif At that, the reasons “why” really only needs to satisfy the owner/builder doing the project and we should/will make every effort respect that. In short, welcome. bgiorno.gifcaffeine.gif

In my not so humble opinion, the concept, execution, and craftsmanship, of your projects are clean and have that OE look and function as you inteded. Nice work. Looking forward to seeing more of your work here on Hybrid. :2thumbs:

You completely misunderstood the post as well as the reasoning behind it..realizing this is a hybird forum and having some mods on my own Z which does not keep it stock..my point was that Nissan got away from the Sports Car beginnning with the 79 model..until 79 Z cars were more like the original idea of a sports car..road like one , handled like one , looked like one and on and on , in 79 with the changes made the Z left the realm of a historically true sports car i.e Triumph , MG, Austin, Porsche, sports cars that didnt have power windows, power seats, cruise control , flip up headlights etc..performance and a sports car ride ( due to the suspensions being geared for driving, racing etc and not the smooth ride of a sedan or other style coupe..

As said , my Z is not stock , if my idea was to keep it totally stock then I wouldnt post here..

I think you totally misunderstood my post as well as definition of a sports car..sure Porsche made changes..based on their racing , however they maintained the Porsche image..Datsun / Nissan got away from that again beginning in 79..whatever...like I said I think you misunderstood the idea of the post to begin with...

Now on to other things..as in turning off the darned parking brake light without having to remove the dash to disarm the darned thing.. :)

No harm , no foul

:puke: Spewage

I took some time to read all the posts in your history on the site. Given your technical knowledge, where do you get off welcoming a member with a 350z the way you did. Most of us here on hybrid z are past all that its not a sports car crap. You should step back and not post if you dont have anything constructive to add. :rolleyesg

Greg nice 350z btw. I have a question about that digital speedo in the pod. I know they are stock, but do you know how they work? Where does it get its signal, are there a bunch of relays and stuff to make it work? Im thinking about getting one of those for my '79 after the ford 5.0 swap. Id just like to know how it works.

I think the NACA ducts are cool, but make sure you do something cool with them like stick fake carbon fiber on top. The bare plastic is cheap looking and it doesnt look right on a 350z hood, imo. I have a turbo hood on my 79. Id also think they would look more up to date with the tiny fins cut out of the slots.

Welcome to HybridZ.

I LOVE the idea of the 280ZX ducts into the 350Z hood.. THAT is HybridZ!! I would imagine that you could get the entire hood painted in one coat that would make the ducts look at home in the hood?? I would prefer them in body color if it can be matched; I think fake CF print is a tad tacky.

All in all, though, I think its a great way to give a salute to the past with your "new Z"

Guest gregz33

I agree with David K about the cutting out of the little fins in each of the slots; I hadn't considered that and I think it would probably be a good idea. I would probably consider placing a small mesh screen underneath to finish it out. Here's a pic of someone on one of the Honda S2K roadster forums who placed a mesh in their DIY vented hood:

86f39c9125.jpg

I do not care for the CF look so I would probably not do anything as far as that goes.