HybridZ

Ordered a 10.5lb Fidanza Flywheel

cygnusx1

You are correct, the bolts that I purchased were the metric equivilent that was closest to an ASE grade 8. I do not remember off the top of my head what the metric indication is.

Dragonfly

10.9 :)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are people upgrading with scatter shields as well when they get a lightened flywheel? When ever i see the lightened flywheels i get those images in my head of when they shatter. God Forbid but just wondering how many of the people running these lightened flywheels are running scatter shields as well.

You have to remember that a "lightened flywheel" and an aluminum or lightweight flywheel are not the same thing. I ran a 10 lbs aluminum flywheel (Tilton) in my 510 for a decade and ran that thing to 7000 rpm all the time and never had a problem. Very low risk of an aluminum flywheel coming apart. It's guys who cut a 22 lbs steel flywheel down to 12 lbs in a lathe that are scary. Once again, there are right and wrong ways of doing that. Only a skilled person should lighten a flywheel, know where to take out material and then have it balanced. I've had friends running 12 lbs lightened steel (stock) flywheels and revving their L18s to 8500 rpm without any issues. So, I'm a big fan of aluminum flywheels, but thin stock ones are a bit scary to me, too!

I hacked together a 1/4" plate scattershield for my car. It bolts to the trans tunnel and basically covered the area around the feet, didn't go across the top of the tunnel. I had also considered a drag racing style Kevlar tranny blanket, but never got around to that one...

You can see the passenger's side in this pic:

DSCN0974.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

So i have the flywheel installed now on my 79 s130, combined with the centerforce 2 clutch. The problem i ran into was that hardware stores dont carry teh right sized bolts. so what i did was bought M8x1.25x16 grade 8.8 hex head bolts, and ground them down to 14mm length instead of 16mm, and then re threaded them. On installation i made sure they didnt bottom out this time, then used loctite on the final install. I ran out of time last night working on it, so i havent been able to test everything yet. I need a new slave cylinder before i go anywhere. ill keep yall updated though.

So i have the flywheel installed now on my 79 s130, combined with the centerforce 2 clutch. The problem i ran into was that hardware stores dont carry teh right sized bolts. so what i did was bought M8x1.25x16 grade 8.8 hex head bolts, and ground them down to 14mm length instead of 16mm, and then re threaded them. On installation i made sure they didnt bottom out this time, then used loctite on the final install. I ran out of time last night working on it, so i havent been able to test everything yet. I need a new slave cylinder before i go anywhere. ill keep yall updated though.

Sounds like you should be fine. As a precautionary measure you may want to make a plan to re-check everything after your break in period (500 miles typicaly).

Dragonfly

so what i did was bought M8x1.25x16 grade 8.8 hex head bolts

Take them out and replace them with class 12.9. McMaster-Carr has them as item number 91290A418 at $13.78 for a box of 100.

http://www.mcmaster.com.

FYI... SAE bolts are "Graded". Metric bolts are "Classed". A simple comparison:

Grade 2 - Class 5

Grade 5 - Class 8.8

Grade ? - Class 9.8

Grade 8 - Class 10.9

Grade 10 - Class 12.9

I put one in my 510 cant believe how much the engine buzzed so when I got the flywheel for my Z. Put the flywheel on my plastic cone for balancing the lawn mower blade and sure enough the flywheel was heavy on one side. so for ha ha's took some weights and my gram scale and piled on the weight. It took over 2 ounces to balance it out. Havent installed it yet pending finding a machine shop I can trust in the Jacksonville Fl area. Any suggestions for a machine shop???

Hey JC want to sell any of those bolts from the box of a 100????

Kind of curious what grade these bolts are actually as they only get torqued to around 26ft lbs if I remeber correctly and if you go much over that the head snaps right off ( back from my days as a kid with no torque wrench). Seem like an awfully soft bolt for its size.

do you guys send the flywheel/pressure plate assy. out to balancing? . i was under the impression that all aftermarket flywheels are not balanced from the factory unless its specified ....

In general it is a good idea to have a flywheel balanced no matter who made it or where it came from. My Fidanza required a small amount of balancing, just a few bucks at a machine shop.

Dragonfly

So i took the z out for a spin today, and it drives beautifully. The clutch engages really smoothly, the pedal is softer than the stock clutch's. i was surprised that teh car is easier to drive with the fidanza flywheel, than witht he stock one. well anyway ill keep you updated. and on the grade stuff. My car is almost stock, so will it being 8.8 really make that much of a difference, its only a centerforce 2 clutch too, wouldnt the aluminum strip before the steel?

In general it is a good idea to have a flywheel balanced no matter who made it or where it came from. My Fidanza required a small amount of balancing, just a few bucks at a machine shop.

Dragonfly

His question is the same as the one that i've been pondering.

do you also include the pressure plate assembly, minus the clutch disc as well?

from my understanding , you give them the pressure plate/ flywheel bolted up as it will bolt up to the car , you don't give them the clutch disk because since it always spins when disengaged it doesnt matter ...

i have a fidanza flywheel and stg5 clutch for my z31 , i was just going to toss it in ,but from stuff i have been reading lately ,i now plan spending the extra cash and get it balanced