HybridZ

NEW VIRGINIA SPEEDING LAWS 15 getcha $3550

v80z

All those driving in Virginia can you believe this?

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1818.asp

Here is a copy of the email I sent my State Delegate

Ms. Rapp

I sent this message to David B. Albo.

“Mr. David B. Albo, Leading the introduction of a bill in our state law system to line your own pockets is completely deplorable. I hope your term as a state delegate is not renewed and that you sir are disbarred.â€

I find this new law overbearing and oppressive. Please tell me there is something we can do to repeal this law. The purpose of this law, as listed, is to generate revenue. Hasn’t the Commonwealth of Virginia better ways of generating revenue than placing overbearing taxes on private citizens? This is completely outrageous.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1818.asp

Joe McCaffrey

106 Donovan Court

Yorktown, VA 23693

757 223 5955

Other six-point convictions include "failing to give a proper signal," "passing a school bus" or "driving with an obstructed view." The same $1050 assessment applies, but the conviction remains on the record for eleven years.

Holy crap... I can understand the stopped school bus one... but the other two?? WTH are they smokin' up there ?? :confused:

This is the part that worries me the most.

Michigan' date=' New Jersey, New York and Texas also impose a somewhat more modest driver responsibility tax which they apply to out-of-state residents.

[/quote']

Although, it's not as bad as $103,000 for 15mph over.

http://www.trafficticketsecrets.com/speeding-ticket-news-finnish.html

I like the idea of a sliding scale though. I'm a college student, and a $100 ticket to me would be pretty devistating while it wouldn't phase most people in my area.

Good Job Braap. I not sure what they are thinking. this guy albo specializes in

Serious Traffic Law (such as DUI/DWI) in Virginia and D.C.

http://www.albo-oblon.com/

they slipped it in another bill. Typical Politic BS

Thanks Gov Kaine

lawmakers slipped a driver responsibility tax into a larger transportation funding bill signed by Governor Tim Kaine (D)

Gotta love the commonwealth! Off the record anything over 80 on the bike I wont be stopping. Granted I dont usally speed in the car but, I do think this "Tax" is outragous.

Good luck tom, you can outrun the cops, but the radio they use is much faster. And I believe that if they get your plate they can ticket you anyway without stopping you, can't they?

well, because of all this, I've decided that I now need to register to vote to get these guys out.

Man, I really have sooo much to say on this topic...

But first a warning... Lets NOT FORGET the "rules" of political discussion here on HybridZ...

It's like everything else in life, guys... Now you know the penalities. I strongly encourage anyone who has a lead foot to plan on more track events and less on speeding on the highway. Remember, this comes from a guy who has had to fight over 10 reckless driving tickets in the last 25 years.

The sole purpose of this "Tax" is to aid in road improvements, since the state house of deligates couldn't agree on "HOW" to improve upon them otherwise. I'm also being told that Va. will start confiscating more cars this year and plans to CRUSH THEM, just like they do in California... So if you get caught speeding in excess, or racing, or running from the po po, you'll lose your transortation along with your license...

And Tom, If you get caught running from motorola (And you probably will) then you'll end up in jail, and will spend thousands to get out and stay out... Weigh your options, build a track car, and come play with me at the track!

Way cheaper in the long run.

Mike

Let's see if California can up the ante...

I know Texas, as well as a few other states, also increased financial penalties.

Here's what California is doing... http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1831.asp

As far as the new laws in Virginia it is my personal opinion that there are a lot of people who have a very low price on their own lives and the lives of others, with these new fines that price threshold has probably been breeched for many of them and therefore they will try to evade rather than face the ticket putting there own life and the lives of everyone else at risk. Another personal opinion is that David Albo be investigated for what would be considered completely unethical and probably illegal if done by any other business owner.

Dragonfly

...The sole purpose of this "Tax" is to aid in road improvements...

Here I must strongly disagree. If the speed limit is 50 MPH, and I'm driving at 75 MPH, I'm using any particular point of the roadway for 50% less time than the "legal" drivers, thus saving the state money.

Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it :)

No no, It's not me you're disagreeing with... It's what THEY (the folks in the state house) have put IN THE BILL... I agree with you 110%, but THEY are using the "roadway improvement" language as their justification for this "Tax"...

Mike

Here I must strongly disagree. If the speed limit is 50 MPH, and I'm driving at 75 MPH, I'm using any particular point of the roadway for 50% less time than the "legal" drivers, thus saving the state money.

Thats my story, and I'm sticking to it :)

The sole purpose of this "Tax" is to aid in road improvements, since the state house of deligates couldn't agree on "HOW" to improve upon them otherwise.

Perhaps they should stop spending so much on 1/10th mile markers... I recently drove from Atlanta to Fredericksburg VA and couldn't believe my eyes. The mile markers in that area of VA are in 1/10ths....something to do with "fog" is what I got told when I asked about that. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen in my life. All those poles and signs. Wanna save money? Use reflective PAINT or something, not poles and signs every 10th of a mile.

Just a rant. No need for a full explanation.

HAHAHAH, as I'm typing this, I look up at the google ad right above the Quick Reply box and it has this link saying

"Speeding Ticket Virginia

Ex-Traffic Cop Shows How To Fight And

Beat Your Speeding Ticket.

Fight-The-Speeding-Ticket.com

GO GOOGLE ADS!!!

I went to George Mason Univ. for a year and couldn't stomach how much state and local gov't were in my pocket and on my a$$. I left and went back to Montana where speeding was a $5 energy conservation fine, tuition was less for out of state than it was for in-state in VA and just to be back in "The last best place" again.

I went to George Mason Univ. for a year and couldn't stomach how much state and local gov't were in my pocket and on my a$$. I left and went back to Montana where speeding was a $5 energy conservation fine, tuition was less for out of state than it was for in-state in VA and just to be back in "The last best place" again.

Any good engineering schools out there in Montana? Visited with my grandfather's homestead when I was pretty young, that sky is something to see :o

Here's what California is doing... http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/18/1831.asp

[. . . .]

Dragonfly

"Police in Riverside and San Bernardino counties last week also generated publicity by inviting television news crews to film four customized automobiles, including a 1993 Honda Civic and a 1998 Acura Integra, being crushed after having been seized over accusations that the cars were illegally modified. Officials claimed that some of the parts used, despite purchase receipts, may have been stolen. The crushing took place without any of the accusations being proved in a court of law. "

Wow. If any of those cars had been legaly modified with non-hot parts, I'd love to be a lawyer :fmad:

I guess in the long run it will put more money in my pocket than out. Were the only place in the area that dose speedodmeter checks. So I have a feeling well be getting alot more business soon.

Actually no, there's one in Woodbridge area thereabouts that checked our's. And yeah finding one was a BEAR!

What kills me about this thing is that because of the double jeapordy rules they cannot do this as a fine - instead it is a licensing fee. What does that mean? It means that only VA licensed drivers will be "eligable"! They did this because of revenue, they have finally flat out admitted it. They have really redefined aggressive driving too. Most folks think of the twits who weave as "aggressive" but here it means anyone who is speeding and any number of things that most folks wouldn't call aggressive. when most folks see "aggressive driver imaging in use" they don't realize it means radar cameras - these signs greet you going into Maryland.... I mean really, who isn't for stopping Aggressive driving? These days it's like doing it for the children - no one dares oppose it apparently.

A friend knows both a judge and chief of police out West of me in Winchester. NEITHER of them are happy about this. Why? Judge hates it because he has no say so over it, if someone is disadvantaged too bad. Short of dismissing it the person is hosed. The chief of police hates it because *bingo!* he knows damned well people WILL run once they realize how much this garbage is going to cost. People can and do run fairly often too - especially in the smaller towns - bikes are the worst. As for 80mph, in VA that is reckless no matter what. Anything over 80 and that is what you get nailed for.

My SO just got a ticket awhile back for 91 in a 65 that we thought was 75 (we were out in the sticks). I was IN the car and I know damned well we weren't going that fast because I watch the speedo'. 81 MAYBE but not 91. The car isn't real comfortable at that speed (I tried with a GPS and backed off before hitting 90) and the speedo' reads over 5MPH fast at 55mph going even further off as speed increases - thank you VW. The speedo' would've had to read close to 100MPH, no way would she do that and me not notice (in my car too) plus we had one of the g-kids in the back. We didn't even try to argue this, what's the point? In Kangaroo court the cop can say anything he wants, even lie (I've caught them at it to no avail), and the judge will believe them. The radar gun is a magic thing to most judges, it's sickening. She got lucky and didn't wind up in jail or with a suspended license nor did she fall under these new rules but wow it could've been REALLY ugly. If she makes so much as a single booboo in the next year she's toast. I've been telling her about some of the crap pulled by the police and she's even seen a little of it riding with me but this really opened her eyes to just how badly you can get boned. Some of the folks I work with are real smug and chant the do the crime do the time mantra at every opportunity, I SO hope that one of those twits finds themself in a situation like we did - this could have cost her her career. I'll never forget the silly prosecutor telling her that she'd not gotten a ticket in 16 years, as if the prosecutor would actually get a ticket if pulled over. Then the prosecutor had the gall to tell her to get a slower car - I think a diesel sedan is slow enough thanks, it took all my willpower not to tell her off let me tell you!

Yeah, this new law is a sore spot for me and I will be more than happy to help vote out the twit who helped it along.

Here is Mr. Albo's reply to my email and my response

Thanks for writing. Sounds like you have heard about the “Abuser Fee” bill from the internet. There is an article floating around that is completely misleading. There is no such thing as a $3000 traffic ticket. Like many things on the internet, the information out there is unreliable.

Sorry you don't like the bill. In short, the premise of it was that people with good or even normal driving records should not have to pay the same amount as those who break the laws or amass a large number of tickets. I don't think its fair for you to pay the same as the guy who is driving drunk, reckless or who gets four tickets in one year.

I have a good driving record. I rarely drive the Virginia Interstate System. On the occasions that I do I typically set my cruise at 70 – 75 mph when there is light traffic. I have never been ticketed or warned. Is it correct to assume that the Abuser Free Bill would not apply in this situation?

As for your allegation that I am using my office for my personal benefit, please excuse me if I get mad, but I have never used my House of Delegates position to benefit me personally. In fact, I lose tens of thousands of dollars doing this job. Specifically to address your allegation on this Abuser Fee bill somehow benefiting me, quite simply, this is an utterly false allegation. There is not a rational person in the world who would hire me, or any attorney, for $1,200 for an un-guaranteed possibility that they would get out of a $900 or $1050 ticket. I am offended that you would think that I would use my office to advance myself. My take-home pay from the House of Delegates is $900/mo. I don't do it for the money, I do it because I love the neighborhood in which I grew up and am trying my best to make it a great place to live.

If I were ticketed under the Abuser Free Bill I would be facing 6 points on my license and a total of $3550 over the next few years. I would seriously consider hiring representation and who would best understand the Abuser Free Bill than you?

In my efforts to make our neighborhood a great place to live, I have been listening to my constituents in Springfield and South County. I have been living here since 1970. And everyone has one main complaint - transportation. People have been complaining, asking, begging for years for a solution to the transportation nightmare. One constituent noted that since it takes him 1 1/2 hours to get to work, he can't be an SYC soccer coach for his kids. Long commutes means that none of us can otherwise have a life outside of work. Three hours a day in a car is a waste of a life, and I intend on solving the problem.

I agree whole heartedly. I have chosen not to live in Northern Virginia because the commute times are very long and personal/family time is more important than $30k - $50k extra income each year.

So a number of years ago I started trying to find a way to build some roads. Along with other Delegates from NOVA, we put in bills to pay for NOVA roads with existing revenue. If you look at some of my bills, you will see bills to change the transpo funding formulas, bills to make the rest of VA send us $ for roads, bills to allow NOVA to keep some of the money it sends to Richmond to pay for its own roads. Every year, year after year, the bills were killed. The bottom line is that NOVA has 21 Delegates and the rest of VA has 79. And the 79 refuse to send $10,000,000 of their funds to NOVA.

I was unaware and understand the frustration.

So, what I wanted to do was not possible.

So what was left? The way I look at it, we could do nothing, whine and cry about it and therefore never build a new road in NOVA, or we could we could solve the problem.

I decided to solve the problem.

Solving the problem required raising a lot of money. I rejected general tax increases proposed by the Senate. I rejected their gas tax, income tax and sales tax increases. I wanted to look at user fees. Activities that generate traffic, and raise money off of those activities.

The story goes on much longer, but to get to the point that you wrote: How did the Abuser Fees come about?

Well one idea was to charge every driver $10-$20/yr to raise $ for roads. Instead, I thought, "Why should good drivers, the drivers who don't break the laws, pay the same as those who break the laws?" Thus, the Abuser Fee concept was born. We looked at NJ. They have had such a plan in place for years.

I fail to see your reasoning. All commuters in NOVA, abusers or not, use the roads. They should all pay for the improvements!

Our plan charges about 4.5% of the drivers in VA. That means that 95.5% of the drivers pay zero. It charges large fees for the commission of traffic crimes (any traffic offense which is punishable by jail time e.g. Reckless, DWI, Driving on a Suspended License, Vehicular Manslaughter, etc.) and those with a large amount of DMV demerit points - any person with a -8. (Note that you can have as good as a +5. And any person who hits a -8 just needs to take a safe driving course on line and get another +5. Thus a -8 is really a -13, which is equivalent of getting 4 moving violations in one year).

So there you are. Sorry you don't like the idea, but I had to build some roads. If you had a chance to read the Post on Friday, you would have noted all the roads being built in our area. I-95 widening at Newington, the completion of the Fairfax Co Pkwy, widening of Rolling, Light at Rolling and Barnack, new Metro and VRE cars.

I am sure you have thought of this idea. What if the DMV placed $.25 toll booths at the entrance ramps to the interstate system? How much revenue do you plan to generate with the abuser free bill? I don’t think it will be enough to affect any serious solutions for the commuter issues of Northern VA.