HybridZ

Naked Z.

capt_furious

Going to paint jail like that? I still see about another 8 to 10 hours of prep work that needs done, and that doesn't include glass or trim removal, but maybe I'm just anal about that.

Seriously though, if you were to leave a car in that condition outside overnight around here right now, it'd be orange in the morning (instant rust).

Going to paint jail like that? I still see about another 8 to 10 hours of prep work that needs done, and that doesn't include glass or trim removal, but maybe I'm just anal about that.

It's going under its own power. I've been working on it and driving it at the same time. I'll be removing a number of parts once it arrives. Areas that aren't ground down to metal have bondo and I left them for the shop to figure out. The glass will be staying in.

...and it crossed my mind that a complete sand & buff to metal would be cool, but there's just too much damage to make that look right.

:bling:

A little bit of everything, actually. I started with chemical strippers and had a tough time getting down to the metal due to 3 layers of VERY stubborn paint...the top white layer would come right off, but there was a layer of blue beneath that and over the factory blue that would resist both aircraft coating remover and a scraper. Some of the old primer on there was pretty stubborn, too. So, I picked up a Bosch side grinder, put a 7" 80 grit sanding disc on it and started going bonkers on the thing...and it STILL wouldn't get all the way through in some places. I finally broke down and picked up a wire cup brush with some seriously aggressive bristles and managed to get through the paint and down to the metal.

I've got a bit left to do today, mainly on the right headlight bucket. The left is composite and I don't want to destroy it by grinding on it as the steel 280 bucket I picked up to replace it was a full 1/2" too long(stuck out past the hood) and wouldn't bolt on straight.

If it was in better shape I'd be REALLY tempted to go the Jimmy Shine route. As it is, I picked out the Japanese national racing colors from the '60s. Should look good.

• 2 weeks later...

Gave the green light to the bodywork and the paint today, it's getting the primer and guide coat this week, and should be painted & ready by Tuesday.

I chose BASF Red 511 over Chrysler 'Cool Vanilla'. I'm getting the red as a stripe over the top following the hood bulge and ending halfway down the hatch, just short of the hatch button. Reason for this is that I'm going to be putting on a spoiler and don't want the stripe disappearing under it, or having a bit of red peeking out below it on the back edge of the hatch.

I've got a load of trim pieces to clean up / paint / refresh in the next week. Taillight panels, lenses, markers, etc. I'm tinting the taillights and have already shaved the DOT lettering and wet sanded out all of the factory undulations in the plastic. Tonight I'll be doing final wet sanding and polishing. The chrome surrounds are going gloss black with the trim panels satin black(the chrome on the surrounds is shot and replacements are stupid expensive).

The experience with this shop so far has been positive. They're getting the work done fast and letting me know when they need me to check things before proceeding.

You guys need to catch up with technology! LOL Search for a Soda Blast professional in your area. They will trailer a media blaster with all required equipment to your location and soda blast your car in about 3~4 hours. They use sodium bicarbonate so it's totally safe. The best part is that the soda will strip paint but leave rubber and glass alone. You will want to remove your turn signals and aluminum trim, though. It's still a massive savings of time.

You guys need to catch up with technology! LOL Search for a Soda Blast professional in your area. They will trailer a media blaster with all required equipment to your location and soda blast your car in about 3~4 hours. They use sodium bicarbonate so it's totally safe. The best part is that the soda will strip paint but leave rubber and glass alone. You will want to remove your turn signals and aluminum trim, though. It's still a massive savings of time.

...wow. Wish I'd realized this sooner. There's a soda blasting company in my area that does cars and even blasted one of the planes at the air museum that I work at.

KHAAAAAAN! :banghead:

...I should be getting the car back about the middle of this week.

Here's the color:

u10.jpg