HybridZ

RC Flying Anyone?

cygnusx1

Anyone on here fly RC? I built a foam glider with ailerons as my first plane a few years ago. I basically learned how to fly it 1 minute at a time as it's tough to catch thermals with a hand toss on a flat field where I live. I crashed it a few times but nothing major and then I stripped a servo for the rudder so I hung the plane up for a few years. I recently got the urge to fly again so I decided to stick with gliders but I wanted to take advantage of the new electric motor technology. I bought a 2 meter, 4 channel, Elapor Foam glider with all the servos included, and a folding propeller electric motor. I can just re-use my programmable four channel radio. I can't wait to build it. It's a ARF (almost ready to fly) so it should be ready pretty soon. I have been practice flying on the free RC flight simulator: http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

I can pretty much fly and land anything in the simulator so I am hoping to have good luck with my new plane, Multiplex Easy Glider Electric. I figure even with only ten minutes of battery time, I can at least double or tripple the flying time because of the glide factor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuE-dUr0_xQ

Here is a cool onboard camera shot!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
Nope, the other RC.

Ahh.. The other RC as in Rudder Control while flying? Yeah, I try to keep the plane "coordinated" during turns, takes offs and landings clown.gif Does that count? wink.gif

No, I don’t fly RC, but a local RC club holds two events a year at the lake near our property flying RC float planes. I'll see if I can dig up some pics of those events. Looks like fun for sure.

me and my pop used to when i was a kid. had a 99" wingspan glider that was awsome. we could get it high enough that we had to use binoculars to see it. do a few loops to bring it down and go find another thermal. then we got a trainer that did not last long. both turned into lawn darts. fun while it lasted.

jimbo

• Administrators

Found some of those pics..

In watching those fly, the electric planes appear to be the most fun to fly as they are so much more graceful, smooth, less "darty" etc. The gas monsters are just that, monsters that defy the laws of physics that appear to be a handful to control, though are quite entertaining to watch.

Here are few of those pics... The Biplane and olive green Piper Cub are both electric.

P4270030Medium.jpg

Cub5Medium.jpg

Cub6Medium.jpg

Plane3Medium.jpg

Plane1Medium.jpg

I was thinking about a sea-plane but I didn't feel confident enough in my skills yet to land a few hundred bucks into a lake. I chose the glider because they just seem so graceful and forgiving...and cheap. Nice photos.

There are alot of kits on ebay that will get you flying for under $150 with everything including a radio. I hear they are decent kits if you spend some time reinforcing them.

On the flip side of cheap and quiet are the "rock and roll" versions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmVtUA3414&mode=related&search

i have 2 planes i have a giles 202 with a .62 on it and then i have cub with a .25 but... i dont know how to fly either one of them.. both are flight ready lol. i built one when i had a room mate that was into it and flew and i flew his planes a few times on a trainer cord. so i built my own the giles and then when i finished it he got a job in cali and moved away so i never learned to fly and i dont want to try and learn on a plane that i have like 600 invested into it.... so i need to find a club to teach me but the z has been keeping me busy since i got it so the planes just hang from the ceiling

I fly R/C , everything from electric to 1/4 scale, its a money pit like cars but its a blast, Go over to R/Cgroups forum http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php Great info and help there.

If you do well on the simulator you should do fine, I've trained alot of people, Find a local club they usully have a training night. I suggest a .40

highwing trainer with ailerons to start, The trainer can plug into your transmitter ,and if you loose control he can take over.

Get AMA insurance , if you hit a car or god forbid kill someone it can turn out to be a bad day.

Look that about you have written...

http://x-victory.ru/forum/index.phpI am just getting back into RC. I used to fly gliders almost every weekend with a club when I lived in Las Vegas. I mostly stayed with a "gentle lady", a

"2x4" and my hand launch "skeeter". I stuck with those planes mostly for financial reasons and I never broke them bad enough to have to replace them. I had a lot of fun getting 45 minute flights with the skeeter.

That was 10-15 years ago and now I am getting into the electrics because, to me, it is a lot less hassle than gas power. (not as loud and not as messy) I still like gliders but don't have them any more and I always wanted to fly power planes.

I am working my way up to ailerons - I never flew aileron plans when flying gliders, just elevator and rudder.

I find that the planes are not all that expensive - it is all the other "stuff" that you need that gets expensive.

Flying is a lot of fun and even relaxing with a slow plane.

OMG! I just learned about "Dynamic Soaring". Watch a glider exceed 300mph with NO engine. It's due to a wind phenomenon. It is amazing. Take a look at this video. It’s real, not “sped-up”. The plane has no engine. It’s a glider. 300mph.

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu11mW932aM&mode=related&search=

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=658640

Explanation Here:

http://www.geocities.com/soaringbythebay/dsoar.htm

I built a aerostar .40 with my dad when I was young. I only flew it once for some reasone, but took off and landed safely and it was alot of fun. I had it in the garage here since and was wanting to get it out again to fly it but my sister had a party and somebody knocked it off the shelf pretty much cracking everything along with the carb on the engine. I wanted to use all the servo's and stuff and build a little rock crawler thing, lol.

I used to be really into building and flying r/c airplanes.... that was before cars. I built a quite a few airplanes for myself and I also built them for other people.

My biggest personal plane was a Stinger with a G62 gasoline engine (modified with electronic ignition and timing advance) it met a nasty end with a tree due to radio failure... that was the end of my big plane flying.

I wish I had some digital pictures of all my airplanes but they are all real pictures lol.

My favorite plane of all time is the Clancy Aviation Lazy Bee... you wanna talk about fun!!! They are alittle challenging to build but the supplied as chace and easily cut of of stock... slap a .15 engine on them and they are a hoot.

I also had alot of fun with a blue styrofoam plane. I was built out of a round piece of blue foam with a dowel running down the length of it to mount a .15 engine. Elevons were used for controling it... talk about somethign CRAZY to watch fly!!!!! oh yeah and if you wreck your out 5 dollars. I wrecked it every time I flew it hahahahha.

If i was you I would start with a nice trainer plane that wayyou can focus on leanring how to fly and not having to worry about thermals and all that. The BEST trainer plane IMO is a SIG kadet they are simply wonderful to fly and very very forgiving. A .40 is a nice size.

I use to, I miss it. I even got 22 stitches in my wrist when I was young and stupid. It was cool, like the terminator looking at his arm with the skin off. Last thing I remember before passing out. LOL Now I am old and Stupid... haha

I started building another plane with a 60 in it last year to get my self motivated, but I have been side tracked with so many other things. Like the LS1-Z. When, if, I ever retire, it will be the first thing I do! I have a Goldberg Ultimate 300bi-plane I built in the attic that only got flown a couple of times and I want to get it up again. There isn't too many places near me for flying. When I lived in MD there were lots of places. That was part of how come I stopped. I moved to NC and in my area of NC there isn't much RC involvement or places to fly. I have a couple of RC cars in the garage (daughter put the best one in the creek in the front yard), use to have a boat, but that got boring fast. My son when he was young, loved it though. Now he is at the Naval Academy and thinks of nothing but the Z and Girls. Probably not in that order. I remember lots of fun times flying with him beside me having me do stunts.

I definitly won't be one of those guys that retires and doesn't know what to do with himself.....

RC Stuff...Brings back alot of memories

I never flew planes but i did my share of Cars 1/12 1/10 1/8 1/4

Raced cars for 12 years on a semi-pro level...Got sponsored and ran a bunch of big races such as whipperwill, yatabe arena, etc. I eventually got burnt out though. Racing was alot of fun when i was on my way up but after i got to the top tier locally and regionally i didnt have the same enthusiasm for the sport as i did when i was "up and coming"

Anyone here race cars still ? IF so...Is Brian Kinwald, joel johnson, Masami Hirosaka still around and racing. I wonder if WCM still makes 1/4 cars ?