HybridZ

Painting a turbo?

Spyder Z 15

I'm rebuilding a stock 280ZX turbo right now and I'm cleaning it (carb cleaner is flippin' magical for grease) and I wanted to paint it either a black or a gray color. I know I could get it ceramic coated, but I'm just looking for a spray paint right now. I was wondering if the duplicolor engine paint or the duplicolor high temp paint would be enough to stand the heat. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I cut out a rectangular piece of stainless sheet metal. I riveted on a simple bracket and bolted it to one of the wastegate housing bolts. I lined the inside of the shield with foil backed fiberglass using Super7 spray glue. It blocks alot of heat and looks clean. Paint and red hot cast iron dont mix.

198335351-L.jpg

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess that whenever I upgrade the turbo I'll just get it ceramic coated.

Thanks cygnusx1 for that pic. Since I don't have a heat shield anyway that would be a good idea. Or I have a Z32 turbo shield in my garage that I might be able to modify. Hmmmmmmmmmm

Here's my turbine housing that I just dipped in carb cleaner. 98% done. That last 2% is going to take a little effort with a small screwdriver and cloth.

http://www.forums.empirez.com/forum/gallery_image.php?action=view&iid=2215#pictop

Watch the temp ratings of the coatings, the 2000 degree stuff is in limited colors...black dark blue or such. The white that was on JeffP's setup burned off, but the blue 2K degree stuff on his turbine housing has held up, and if you look at his webpage you can see that thing has been glowing red hot more times than I would care to think on the dyno runs (10 hours worth+!!!) and it's still held up and looks great.

anyone know what the high-temp home powdercoating stuff is rated at? what kind of temperature differences will be seen at the turbine on a tube manifold (SS or mild steel) vs the stock cast unit???

Can't recall the temp for hi-temp powder, but I do know its not high enough. We just had this discussion on a powdercoating forum.

• 2 weeks later...

i used the VHT 2000 flat black on my manifold and downpipe but haven't tested them yet, i did the 3 step baking process though, thats supposed to make a difference. we'll see. if it works i'll probably take the time to try it on the turbine housing as well. i know the last step i cooked it at 550 degrees just to cure it. so i'm very curious as to if it'll go to at least 1500 or so.