HybridZ

Local goverment doesnt like my car?

LLave

The reg is up next month on my 240. I got a letter yesterday from Bay Area Air Quality informing me that my reg is almost up and asking me to consider an alternative other then driving it. They gave me an offer of $650 for it or any car older then 1985 registered in my name.

I guess if I want to see it I know that I have a buyer. Cool huh?

The reg is up next month on my 240. I got a letter yesterday from Bay Area Air Quality informing me that my reg is almost up and asking me to consider an alternative other then driving it. They gave me an offer of $650 for it or any car older then 1985 registered in my name.

I'll give you $700 for it! :-D

Damn they actually offered you money for it? All the county would do for me was send me hate mail and State Whip out to my house every other week until I covered the 240z. Oddly enough when the county car show happened I received an invite to bring a car and at the bottom of the page it said please bring the purple one not the blue one. Some people just don't appreciate the classics.

They will buy the car then crush it. California is trying to get all older cars off the road. Every year they try to pass a law that every car '85 and older can not be driven on the road no matter what. If you are caught they will crush it. But SEMA always finds a way to get enough signatures to turn them down. Do not sell them your car.

tell them to ♥♥♥♥ off. $650? give them one of the wheels for that price.

Guest 280ZForce

yeah, that's a bunch of BS... selling them your car is giving them power and saying, "OK, you win." then they'll think they can just buy us all off eventually. We need to make a stand and say F*ck You, to hell I'm going to sell my car to the government for crushing rights.

That's ridiculous, cuz you know they want to buy it off you just so they can crush it so it gets another classic off the road.

My neighbor in Fremont, CA "sold" his great condition '78 Datsun pickup to them so they could crush it. I had no idea he was even contemplating such a thing--it was stupid and I think he lost money. That body style had the same great lines as the older ones, and I'm sure that some kid with an old truck is missing straight, rust-free parts due to the State's great wisdom.

Funny, but they never bothered me for my 240Z while I lived there.

Davy

The C.A.R.B.(California Air Resources Board) has been trying to kill SB42(the '75 and earlier smog exemption, the 25 year rolling part being killed off in 2000) ever since it was passed. Their ultimate goal is to get rid of anything on the road in California 15 years old or older. That means at this point, if it's a '92 or earlier, regardless of condition or how often it's driven, it's a gross polluter! SEMA is part of the driving force behind keeping SB42 alive, but SEMA is also doing some interesting backdoor deals at the same time. Politics are a nasty business.

If you've got a car that's 15 years old or older, you'll be getting that letter in the mail.

Burn it. Don't toss it, don't recycle it, BURN it. Throw a few extra unburned hydrocarbons into the atmosphere courtesy of the self-important fascists in Sacramento. Better yet, send them a photo of your baby right after a nice wash & wax, and a copy of the KBB value, maybe even a detailed list of the work you've done. Tell them they can shove their $650 where the sun don't shine, they can't AFFORD your car, and it pollutes less than the chauffeured land barge they take to lunch every day.

The only reason I still live in this state is because most of my family is here. Cost of living and fascist government practices are quickly convincing me to pull up roots and go someplace where no bureaucrat sitting on their fat haunches in the capitol is telling me what i can drive, what sort of firearms I can protect myself with, and how much of my property and hard-earned cash they're entitled to.

Damn ! Worst part is that they are trying to get something like this going on in canada too ! But we dont have SEMA to cover our asses ! Imagine having to close Boyd Codington's Shop because he only works on old cars ! that is ridiculous crushing a 1910 car because its old and pollutes . Make a hydrogene engine that works and ill swap it in !

But im pretty sure old cars will always be around. There are to many people who have them. Theres alot of people who restore cars, and alot of TAX PAYING aftermarket parts places and shops too. I really doubt they can go thru with getting rid of old cars. but hey if they do smash all these old cars, theres still plenty of companies that produce so many reproduction panels and frames and we could always reproduce another car. Theres no company for z reproduction that i know of but still....

that was the ONLY good thing about NC

in my county, no emissions testing.

i'm HOPING my poor 280z can pass emissions once i fix everything.

at this point, it's running so rich it would fail in a hearbeat. i suppose i COULD cheat the system out by bypassing the water temp sensor and hooking a couple potentiometer's to crudely tune the engine though......

Realize the latest ploy for smogging all cars EVERY YEAR 8for vehicles older than 15 years old) was simply to RAISE MONEY so they can BUY AND CRUSH older cars! That was the STATED purpose of making people smog their cars EVERY YEAR.

It´s been shot down with heavy SEMA Action this year, but I know it will be back like perennially elected greens who care more about control of the populace´s movements, than really cleaning up the air.

Stricter Emissions Requirements for Personal Conveyances won´t cut it...they need population growth to stay within their charted projections (2.2 million illegals in 10 years skewed the BAR90 Predictions terribly, leading to the newest round of restrictions), and those vehicles that are registered must be kept within compliance. But Stationary Emissions, and large emmitters are more of a problem now...trucks, trash vehicles, trains, ships, and Airports along with Fast Food Fryers (believe it or not!). Till they go after those, there really is no reason to go back to POV´s. Some Fords withthe Englehardt Catalysts on their RADIATORS clean the air simply by driving through it...because until they clean up the air the engine is taking IN, they can´t lower the emissions coming OUT! The engine is actually putting out CLEANER air than what it´s taking in! Such is the state of emissions technology on CA cars these days!

It´s not cars, but it´s an easy, disorganized target that politicians can use to satiate their green constitutients who would rather we all live in the city and ride bikes everywhere...and live - marry - die within a 15 mile radius of the same spot. Not for me, thankyouverymuch.

And don´t think ýou don´t have emissions testing´ it´s coming. New 2008 and 2010 EPA regs will leave only seven or three states without some kind of emmissions testing program. Once they get that to ALL 50 states, they will move for a national emissions program for ´standardization and lower costs for all involved´ mark my words!

It´s coming. Open your eyes, guys...it IS coming!