HybridZ

Fuel Cells

Austin240Z

atl and fuel safe can get you an angled filler neck to run it over to the fuel door. mine is going to run out the back behind the licence plate, o'l skool style. that way i do not have to raise the hatch to gas up. there is lots o thread that deal with this.

jimbo

Unless you're building a track only car, I'd buy another gas tank. They're fairly easy to find, easy to install and don't require hours and hours of tedious work to get in the car. You won't have to build a new floor to cover over the cell to prevent it from spraying fuel inside the car in the event of a crash, and the stock tank is about 25 lbs lighter than the 12 gallon fuel cell I installed in my car. Even if you decide to go FI and are concerned about the fuel pump sucking air in corners, you can add a simple, inexpensive, easy to install and plumb surge tank and use it in conjunction with your stock tank. In my humble opinion there is no reason to go with a fuel cell other than a rules requirement.

Thanks for all the input and the pictures

I'd buy another gas tank. They're fairly easy to find, easy to install and don't require hours and hours of tedious work to get in the car. You won't have to build a new floor to cover over the cell to prevent it from spraying fuel inside the car in the event of a crash, and the stock tank is about 25 lbs lighter than the 12 gallon fuel cell I installed in my car.

I do agree with your opinion, with the exception of the stock gas tank being "easy to find" haha, I cant find one. Everyone in the central Texas area has extra engines, hoods, wheels, you name it, laying around... but no one seems to have a spare gas tank. If I could find one, I would use it. My gas tank was hit in the bottom and damaged it to extensively for me to repair it and I cant find a replacement.

I plan on eventually doing the l28t swap in the next year or two and want to use it as a weekend autocross car, so the fuel cell seemed like a logical choice.

Thanks for all the input and the pictures

I do agree with your opinion, with the exception of the stock gas tank being "easy to find" haha, I cant find one. Everyone in the central Texas area has extra engines, hoods, wheels, you name it, laying around... but no one seems to have a spare gas tank. If I could find one, I would use it. My gas tank was hit in the bottom and damaged it to extensively for me to repair it and I cant find a replacement.

I plan on eventually doing the l28t swap in the next year or two and want to use it as a weekend autocross car, so the fuel cell seemed like a logical choice.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't find one between here, classiczcars.com, zcar.com, and ebay. If not you might ASK after one in each of those places. When you do the turbo swap, just add a small surge tank (search, there are a couple good threads on how to make one) and you're good to go.

Almost any... you just have to extend the tube.

That will be easier than the install of the fuel cell itself.

I like the idea of shaving the fuel door though, that was a plus in choosing a fuel cell over re-finishing my old tank.

one quick question. would there be any problem mounting the filler behind the license plate? other than modification to the license plate, etc. of course. only problem that might come up that i can think of is the angle of the tube...

oh yea and have you thought about an ls1 gas tank? it uses the stock fill spout.

It does? The Z fill neck is plastic / rubber / something soft and is way bigger than the 1" diameter LS1 tank hose connection. I'm using the LS1 tank and ended up using the Camaro fill neck but had to cut it twice, re orientate it, and add some extra length to make it work. Not that hard and will look factory when you open the fuel door but it's not a drop in.

Cameron

It does? The Z fill neck is plastic / rubber / something soft and is way bigger than the 1" diameter LS1 tank hose connection. I'm using the LS1 tank and ended up using the Camaro fill neck but had to cut it twice, re orientate it, and add some extra length to make it work. Not that hard and will look factory when you open the fuel door but it's not a drop in.

Cameron

i was able to connect a few hoses to make it connect to the datsun plastic rubber neck thing. not pretty but it works and looks factory.