HybridZ

All Dressed Up & Ready To Dance!...Pics...L30ET Finally Complete

slownrusty

Well Gang...Finally complete can't believe. Its amazing how over a year can go by!

I took the car off the road in late September 2006, I was going to spend a weekend and slap on a HKS head gasket, a beautifully ported P90 (non hydraulic) head by Whitehead Performance, some ARP head studs and maybe a turbo upgrade...while doing so I freaking dropped a dowel into the motor and I yanked the entire engine out...and proceeded on the most expensive and comprehensive engine rebuild I have ever undertaken.

The engine was then fully rebuilt with the following specs:

JE 8.0:1 Forged Pistons

240Z 9mm rods shotpeened and individually balanced

LD28 crank

HKS Metal Head Gasket

Ceramic coated the piston domes and skirts

Ceramic coated the combustioon chambers of the head

Ceramic coated the exhaust ports of the head

Diamond Like Coating (DLC) on the wirst pins

Web Turbo Grind Cam

Speed Shop Thagard T3/T4 Turbo

Ceramic Coated SFP exhaust Header

TiAL 35mm Wastegate

JeffP 3in Downpipe

ARP Head Studs, ARP Studded Bottom End & ARP Rod Bolts

Custom Made "1-Off" Intake Manifold

BMW 67mm Throttle Body

Huge Oil Cooler

Custom Made "1-Off" Corky Bell Intercooler

Haltech E6K Engine Management

JSK fuel rail with 550cc RC injectors

Aeromotive FPR

Braided lines and lots and lots of Earls fittings

Autometer gauges - Boost, Oil Temp, Oil Press, Engine Temp, EGT & AEM Wideband

ACT 240mm 4 puck Clutch

Arizona Z car Aluminum radiator

Arizona Z Car 240mm 13lb Flywheel

Some of these parts were sourced from HybridZ members and I thank all who I bought these items from.

The cost of the build (everything listed above) without the fully rebuilt T5 ($750) which I also did during this time was well over $10K - scarry I know! But it added up quickly and I don't buy crap parts and over the coarse of a year it makes it "bearable"...I could have probably RB26'd my car for the same $$. Let's just say the slope was VERY slippery once you embarked!!

I did hit a brick wall in terms of motivation to finish the project during this past summer, and I had no interest to even look at the car much less finishing it. I kept thinking why did I pull the engine out of a perfectly running car to rebuild it!

Anyway people like Greg Whitehead (Whitehead Performance), Jeff Priddy (JeffP), Paul R (Braap), John Kurzhals (jgkurz), TimZ, BigPhil, Helix, Justin (280ZForce), Garett, Ivo, Z-Gad, Austin (240Hoke), 1 Fast Z, Wigen-OutS30, to name a few re-motivated me to keep trucking, the posts, pics and videos were always inspiring (heck even the HybridZ Z on Pinks was motivating!). I also learnt alot during this time from your own experiences - so thanks to all & this website too!

The last few weeks I have been working almost every night, an hour here and an hour there as time permitted and the engine is now completely assembled and ready to drop into the car.

I am going to do my initial break in at low boost with the stock EFI then remove it and install my Haltech, that way there are less bugs to trouble shoot in case there is a hiccup with starting or running (as the car ran flawlessly before the motor was pulled).

My hope is to make an easy 400-425whp on pump gas. I'll keep you all posted.

I will probably drop the engine in the next week or so (its that time thing again!), as then start mocking up my intercooler, piping and oil cooler (more pics on that when done).

I spent alot of time and money on details little things that are sometimes overlooked such as:

1) All the ceramic coating on the pistons, head, conbustion chambers

2) Making a mount to support the SFP manifold and heavy turbo to prevent avoid cracking and warping

3) Studding the entire manifold

4) Cleanliness and attention to detail - polish, paint, plate or powercoat, I even bought all new hardware including a brand new dipstick from Nissan...LOL!

Well here are the pics gang:

287738096.jpg

287738095.jpg

287738091.jpg

287738087.jpg

287738081.jpg

287738079.jpg

287738076.jpg

287738074.jpg

Regards - Yasin

Guest 280ZForce

Damn...looks good Yasin! We are almost there. I've gotten side tracked with some other "while I'm at it" projects on the Z, but getting back to buttoning up the exterior parts of the engine soon.

I think your HP goal is quite modest depending on what that turbo can output. But I think it's very easily in reach w/ some nice overhead to bump up into.

:cheers: