HybridZ

Turbo Intake Plenum

MONZTER

Yeah, Mazda Bongo Van.

Nissan competes in the same size segment with the "Homer"

I had a Toyota HiAce with a Dual Carbbed 4K under the seat. Used it for storage, mostly! LOL

"I digress" as well as 'Bump' to keep it on top.

Hi Monzter,

I apologize if this was explained already, but how are the offset runners being manufactured? I can see how the charge box can be CNC'ed, but I figured you were going to do a rapid prototypes, then get the pieces investment casted.

Cheers!

The runners are actually TWM ITB's that I merged together with a TWM intake manifolds. Basically, a bunch of cutting and welding to get the shape, angle, and new flanges. I will use staged injectors as well. And yes the Plenum will be CNC machined in two halves and then welded together. No casting right now. Check out my gallery for more pictures

Picture_084.jpg

wiggins.jpg

Looks like you guys are going down the right path in designing the intake. May I suggest a using plastic, fiberglass, wood, for the initial test mule. That way you computer model gets you in the ball park, and you can test and make changes easily. Flow dynamics doesn't always follow the rules of the computer model. Datalogging, pressure and velocity taps, AFR logging on a dyno or on car will get you the finished product you desire. If you made the flow vanes removable with set screws, different ones can be used to tune a specific application.

A wonderful collective effort, I imagine there is a lot to learned. Keep up the great job guys!!

I think making a plastic model and testing it would be a great idea, as I do believe in taking the CFD results for what they are, just first results. For me aluminum is easier, faster, and cheaper than rapid prototyping.

The CNC proto is being cut right now, check it

DSCN0246.JPG

DSCN0245.JPG

I think making a plastic model and testing it would be a great idea

I've noticed that most OEM's and even some of the aftermarket are selling plastic manifolds as a finished product. It seems plastic would be lighter and allow for more complex designs. I haven't looked at production costs, but I would imagine they are comparable.

So, picked up some finished components from the CNC shop today.

Here is what’s new- click on the picture for a bigger view

The cover plates for the integrated vacuum and AIC rails.

As you can see in the model I have designed rails in the back of the plenum. The cover plates will go over the slots and be welded close to form a rail. The top one is for the AIC solenoid and PCV valve. The bottom one will be for the MAP, blow off, fuel pressure, and boost gauge. Since I am using ITB I wanted a signal from each runner to collect into the rails.

plenum_to_cncrunners.jpg

plenum_to_cnc_plates.jpg

Picture_0049.jpg

Picture_00310.jpg

I also got the weld-on connectors for the Wiggins clamps. One side of the adapter will weld onto the plenum, and one side will weld to the ITB. The Wiggins clamp holds them together with no tools, so it will be easy to pull off the plenum to sync the ITB’s (thanks Tim for the idea)

plenum_to_cncgggg.jpg

Picture_0055.jpg

The bad news is the other day my friend at the machine shop called and said “hey your flanges are finished� What I said, and he sent me a picture. By mistake, he ran my old files of the bolt on adapters I was going to use to connect the plenum to the ITB's OOps. So he pulled up the correct files and finished the Wiggins adapters above.

So, anybody need some beautifully machined adapters? They are standard Webber spacing and 45mm ID 6061. PM me and I can send you prints of them. 6pcs total. Since they are 1 off custom parts there not cheap, but I am just looking to help out my friend get some of his cost back.

Picture_0075.jpg

Jeff

I would just like to say how amazingly fast this project has come to be. I just checked the first post on this thread and it was November 27th of last year. so basically 4 months later you are in the milling process and are making the final piece. its just amazes me. Thats all i have to say..amazing work Monzter