HybridZ

Turbo Intake Plenum

MONZTER

Guest maTTz

I think the whole problem begins (ie the problem being unequal distribution of air to the runners) due to the high velocity of air entering the plenum - this causes the air (inertia) to pile up at the opposite end of the plenum (opposite to the entry point). You've all seen this in the simulation pictures that have been posted in this thread.

If you can slow down the air speed entering the plenum, then it will have a greater chance (less inertia) to spread itself out evenly and with a more uniform pressure gradient. The way to slow the air down is to increase the diameter of the piping before the plenum, and possibly to increase the volume of the plenum.

This is what I'm doing in my z32 with vg30dett upper plenum and vh45 throttle bodies (1 on each bank).

prox: I realized when I made the statement that by considering the stabiliziers so similar to vortex generators that it was somewhat ignoring the technical difference between VGs and the fins. My point was to draw a similarity in fact to the structures in question.. basically, fins inserted into the airstream used to divert/alter that flow. When OTM initially mentioned the VGs, I pictured exactly what was integrated into the box and not a fin with a profile like the aero VGs you see on the roof of the Lancers.

The entire point goes to show the importance of vocabulary, not only in communication, but also in how important having the right term is when simply thinking and designing in your own head. I think OTM meant an idea more similar in profile to the finished design than the Lancer VG when he first mentioned it, but it got shot down for the definition of the term used.

Its a semantic issue, and TOTALLY irrelevant to the topic at hand, but I feel its an important semantic issue and deserved attention; thats all.

Regarding taking some sort of mold... I don't think a simple show of support/demand is necessarily hounding the man. No one has been that insistent about it, just enthusiastic :)

I think OTM meant an idea more similar in profile to the finished design than the Lancer VG when he first mentioned it, but it got shot down for the definition of the term used.

Nope...

I'm not that smart. LOL

I was trying to make the point of making a counter rotating vortex to basically reduce the other vortexes to near zero. I am not very knowledgable in aerodynamics so I was just shooting from the hip. It now makes sense that creating turbulance inside the intake would hurt more than help.

Now that I have seen Jeff's finalized design I was very impressed and wished that I had thought of that.

OTM

Nope...

I'm not that smart. LOL

I was trying to make the point of making a counter rotating vortex to basically reduce the other vortexes to near zero.

Now that I have seen Jeff's finalized design I was very impressed and wished that I had thought of that.

OTM

So... in other words, your statement made me visualize the concept that was finally used. Crap, I wish I had drawn up a rough sketch to say "like this?" at the time! Bah, hindsight.

• 3 weeks later...
Jeff,

Are you setting this intake and top end for use on your original L24 or are you building a different shortblock for it?

Looks absolutely stunning!

Dan

I have a new shortblock in the works. 87.5mm JE pistons with 240 rods race preped. The crank 79mm stroke has been lightened about 4 lbs and knife edged. Its at the shop getting the mains line bored. I will use this block for testing, while I work on my other one I plan for the future.

That looks far too close to the strut tower brace. Doesn't the engine rotate towards it on acceleration?

Dave

It’s actually about 1/2 inch away, and I have made urethane engine mounts for the engine and trans, so the movement is next to nothing. (those are moustache bar bushings for the engine mounts) I actually just made new engine mounts to set it back 3/4 inch

Picture_0046.JPG

1-4-06_059.JPG

1-4-06_062.JPG