HybridZ

blu-ray vs hd-dvd

jap tin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TeamNissan
The new format came way to early, I still have VHS tape's lying around i know people that have never heard of dvd's :P

Do they live under a rock? Fragal rock perhaps j/k lol.

I will have to reseach it again, but whole "disk" thing is going away given a few years, they have developed something that will store like a hundred times the capacity of dvd's. Anyhow, hd is poised to increase resolution already. When buying a hd tv, make sure you get one with a Native resolution of 1080! Interlaced and progressive. Ive heard progessive is best, that is what computers are primerily. If you really want to find out how extream tvs will get research "open cable" from cable labs!All tvs are extremly out dated right now. You can still use them, but it will always require a box! If you have any questions feel free to ask! P.S. If the hdmi cables works, you wont get a better pic spending more money!!!!!!!

Guest TeamNissan
I'm trying to boy-cott both until they get rid of the DRM "stuff" and agree to a single format. Sadly I see this going the way of the dvd-+rw. Dual format being the standard.

I'm waiting.

Heh, 1080p, I out grew that w/ my 15" monitor :)

At least I'm not the only one.

Well the HD DVD we bought is doing a great job. Unboxed it last night and watched 300 on it. WOW. :2thumbs:

The main reason I went with HD DVD was I can still play my regular DVDs on it. If I understand what the sales dude told me about Blu-Ray, it won't accept or read regular DVDs... that kills the idea of getting to one player, and I don't want to have 10 different media disc players! This also gave me the excuse to move my Panasonic DVD player to the garage and to "make" a movie of all my trackday footage, timed to music and including graphics! I now have "stuff" I can watch on the TV again! I eventually want to put a cheap flatpanel in the shop on the wall!

Mike

The cheaper HD-DVD's are 1080I, the more expensive at 1080P. All the HD-DVD players are at the lower VC-1 decoding rates. Also all warner brothers movies are of this type. Bluray are at MPEG-4 AVC. Because of the smaller disc size of HD-DVD's they will never be able to run with the higher MPEG-4 AVC settings. Just not enough disk space.

What gets confusing is that Bluray will run either ar VC-1 or MPEG-4 AVC. But since HD-DVD can't run at MPEG-4 AVC, then Warner Bros. just makes everything at VC-1. So then the people watching bluray will look no better than the HD-DVD when watch a Warner Bros. disc.

Here is an article out on Dec 21st:

As this year comes to a close, Hollywood Reporter is making a few predictions about what they expect to see from Hollywood next year. With regards to the format war in 2008, they predict, "Blu-ray blows away HD DVD". Citing the strength of sales as the major reasons for it eventual success, they also suggested that the PlayStation 3 is a major driving force for the format.

More notable about the article is that current Blockbuster trends show Blu-ray being favored 70% to the rival format at stores featuring both products. With those statistics, Blockbuster is sure to maintain their current company policy to support Blu-ray.

The biggest problem with two formats is that some of the Hollywood studios are supporting only one of the formats so the movie you want to see might not be available in the format that plays on your machine.

And yes, Blu-ray has had a slight lead in the number of titles available and sold but that was because of Sony being first and the fact that they own a movie studio. The landscape is shifting since Dreamworks and Paramount recently decided to stop producing Blu-ray disks.

If Sony wasn’t so greedy we would only have one format.

Why should you have to own both a Blu-ray player AND a HD DVD player to see all the movies you want to watch. I’ll say it again, my upconverting player works great so I’m not buying either one unit they straighten it out.

Thats one nice thing about the PS3 it upverts regular DVD's and can play Bluray's.

But you never know. I remember when Beta-max (also Sony) was a lot better than VHS. But VHS lowered its price, stuck it in wal-mart and next thing you know, everyone has a P.O.S. VHS player.

I've had a Toshiba HD DVD player for a few months and love it - loads of HD videos on Netflix. That said, buy a Blue-Ray player as I tend to always go with the wrong format. My HD player may end up in the closet with my Beta video player and 8 track audio set.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I visited the worlds largest disc manufacturer in the world...Cinram. They told me the future is Blu-Ray. There are only two studios supporting HD , Toshiba is starting to lower pricing on HD units...dumping?.....and in their "opinion" the Bluray format is far superior with potential for advancement. I have to assume they know their stuff.

Anyway, FYI, hope this helps.

I'm going to hold off on bluray/hd-dvd for quite a while. 2 formats is excessively stupid, especially when not all distributors will publish titles in both formats.

Dual read units are great, but super expensive. What I do plan on doing, however, is building a media center box (actually, almost done building) to hook up to my new tv. I treated myself this holiday season to a 56" panasonic LCD projection in 1080p :) What I do want is to get the DVD unit for hte PC that's capable of reading both bluray and hd-dvd (i saw them for ~250 or so) and use the PC for everything. It'll function as a DVR, possibly hd tuner, play dvds, youtube, etc.