HybridZ

IMSA rear flares w/pics

Clifton

Just got them from 240zttv8 http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=113300 . I've been wanting to go wider but never wanted to pull off the 3" flares I had put on. I was running 15x10's f/r with FA front tires. Now I can run a 15x14 rear with the FA rear tire. I'll post more pics when I get them on.

ztiresrm3.jpg

cimg3019zr8.jpg

cimg3020mw9.jpg

cimg3032ej6.jpg

cimg3033fv8.jpg

zzkd8.jpg

Would of liked a little more clearance on the rear of the fender but I can trim it.

cimg3029wv9.jpg

cimg3030uf6.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were $450 + shipping. The are an inch wider than YZ flares. From inner body (next to the strut) to fender opening is 16". The YZ's were 15".

Here's a better wheel pic. They are Keizers. Not the best for brake cooling but they are really light and I got a deal on them about 12 years ago.

cimg3024vr5.jpg

It's not flat but I cut it quite a bit before I put the smaller flares on. I'll take more pics when I tear the old ones off.

I should have bought new inner shells too and moved everything in another 1/2". Too late now. I need to shorten the axles and LCA's the 1/2" instead. What a PITA.

Here's a quick rear shot without the big flares.

zrearfu3.jpg

It's not flat but I cut it quite a bit before I put the smaller flares on. I'll take more pics when I tear the old ones off.

I should have bought new inner shells too and moved everything in another 1/2". Too late now. I need to shorten the axles and LCA's the 1/2" instead. What a PITA.

Here's a quick rear shot without the big flares.

zrearfu3.jpg

Cliff can you get me the offset on those rims? Im think CCWs at 13 inch X 17s would be perfect for me and allow the use of a small spacer if needed to get em just right. Next time the wheels are off can you measure the back space. Thanks buddy!

Terry

I don't know the offset but they are a 5" backspace. A 5.5" backspace would work with a 15" wheel and still leave a little room between the strut.

On a 17" you could run more backspace as the wheel is up higher on the strut. On my 73' I am pretty close to the strut ( about 1/16") with what works out to be 43mm offset. i had to trim some off the coil over sleeve. I don't know what the backspace is on those though.

The smaller flares were AZC. Probably the same as MSA's.

Back when I bought the wheels I could get a set of Indy Light front tires for around $100. I can't get any more and didn't want to get new wheels so the FA tires were the next closest in size. You can get good fresh used tires for $75 each, not just FA's. There might be better tires but I was stuck with 15x10's.

Forgive me, I don't know the setup of your car. Are you going to use these rear tyres in conjunction with what size fronts? Are you increasing width primarily to improve traction? If not, do you have a suspension system that won't fold in half with the lateral force 14" slicks can provide?

Dave

Update. I shortened the axles 1.2". Welded in new camber plates as I just had slotted uppers, and shortened a pair of AZC LCA's 1". It was enough to get the clearance I needed. It is really close but doesn't touch. I bonded them, riveted, and laid a small layer of fiber glass on the seam. My old ones were just riveted and they never cracked but I didn't want to chance it again.

flareoffpj8.jpg

This is a two part epoxy that mixes in the nozzle. I found out it is impossible to hand squeeze through the mixing nozzle. It killed my gun just getting it out of the tube. I hand mixed it.

epoxyto5.jpg

flarerivetcm3.jpg

dsc30081ka8.jpg

dsc3011cr4.jpg

dsc3013uz4.jpg

dsc3012oz4.jpg

I didn't have time to paint them. I was still doing bondo on Saturday. I'll paint them by this weekend and post better pics.