HybridZ

ok so its worse than i thought....(56K BEWARE!!)

i got another noob question....is my car a 4 or five speed? i was moving the shifter into the gears and i couldnt find fifth for the life of me....

and this thing needs shifter bushings...badly!

also, i found this kit http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SBC1B10A/30-7316 for the floor. i want it, but it says coupe only.....does that mean it wont fit the 2+2???

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably a fourspeed then; I lucked out with my 75.

Don't be daunted by the passenger floorboard; mine was far worse than that, and the frame rail beneath was less than 100%.. it isnt RUSTED, but it had gotten hit by a few nasty speedbumps (or something, there are a few kinda crush-damaged spots that have rusted some in time) so it is, like I said, less than 100%.. I cut out that floorboard and replaced it with fiberglass mat for the short term, while I was continuing to drive the car. The plan is, ultimately, to fabricate new rails underneath the car as a matter of course, and replace both floorpans at that time. It really isn't TOO major a job, as long as you read what others in similar situations have done, and take it one step at a time.

With the way this thread is going, there will be next to no 2+2 left soon, since everyone seems to want to scrape them, just for being 2+2s. Soon they will be worth very much more than coupes.

I had considered getting a 2+2, but prefer the look with the coupe 1/4 window much more. Yeah I could cut and paste the coupe 1/4 window onto the 2+2, but that's too much like work. :lol:

Who cares if its a 2+2? The damage shown in the pictures is not bad AT ALL, not near enough to junk the car over. In the words of the Governator, quit being girly men.

The floors are gone, the hatch deck area is gone, every bolt on the car is rusted and there is probably more rust in the usual places. In Az that car would be lucky to get $100. No one would even think about fixing it here. A clean rust free 280z can be had for under $2k. A 2+2 if that's really what is wanted, probably less. I guess if someone had more time than money and nothing better to do for the next 6 months than do body work on a rusty car everyday, it would be worth fixing. Mine took three months to do and was mint compared to that.

i got another noob question....is my car a 4 or five speed? i was moving the shifter into the gears and i couldnt find fifth for the life of me....

and this thing needs shifter bushings...badly!

All '78 cars should be 5speed. I am surprised its a 4speed car, what is the date of manufacture of your car? 5th like any Japanese car will be right opposite Reverse.

It's a 2+2. Pull the motor and throw it away, fly out to Az and get a clean Z.

Ouch brother Clifton...that one stung!

I have been around Datsuns longer than I care to admit and personally it warms every chord in my soul that another Z is being saved. These cars are slowly becoming more and more rare, and we can ALL agree on that.

Who cares if its a 2+2?

More Practical Than A Coupe - Yes?

Same Potential As A Coupe (performance, suspension & braking) - Yes

I can go on and on....

Well I hope this car inspries you to keep working on the car RedEvil:

7fb3_12.jpg

6846_12.jpg

My Best - Yasin

I'm with Vintage and slownrusty. who cares if its a 2+2, it's still a Z. While that may be a lot of rust for a Z car from out west, that's not that bad for an east coast Z, IMO. It's in significantly better condition than my '72. I always hate seeing people scrap a Z car just because it has a little more rust than the want to deal with.

Fix it up and make it the Z car you've always wanted. Nows your chance.

The floors are gone, the hatch deck area is gone, every bolt on the car is rusted and there is probably more rust in the usual places. In Az that car would be lucky to get $100.

The world does not revolve around Arizona, like I said, that car is only marginally worse than mine, and I paid 1800 for it, which is really a steal around here. More time than money? Used to be that was the only people who messed with Z's, budget-performance guys. If some of you guys lived on the east cost, you'd probably be building S13s or Hondas.

The cars are 30-38 years old, what do you expect the floors to look like, really? You cant throw a stone around here without hitting a welder, so rust is really no big deal around here.

alright its been decided. ive been hunting for parts, and looking into it.....

.............im gonna try and fix her. im not trying to make her perfect, but she'll be in better shape than before :)

i have a couple questions though, ive found some parts that say coupe only. im assuming thats for non 2+2s? becuase i found the floor kits on theZstore.com and they say coupe only....

alright its been decided. ive been hunting for parts, and looking into it.....

.............im gonna try and fix her. im not trying to make her perfect, but she'll be in better shape than before :)

i have a couple questions though, ive found some parts that say coupe only. im assuming thats for non 2+2s? becuase i found the floor kits on theZstore.com and they say coupe only....

I don't know for sure, but if the S30 2+2 is anything like other cars that had a 2 seater "coupe" or 2+2 option, the only difference in the floor pans when it comes to repair panels was that the coupe panels were shorter than the 2+2 versions.

Those replacement pans cost more than they're work, in my opinion, if I were you I'd pick up some sheetmetal of the right guage (18?) cut to fit, weld it in, seal it, then put some nice coating on it.

I agree 101%...this was my rust-o-rocket...

When I first started working on it:

242441697.jpg

242441893.jpg

242441938.jpg

making my own sheet metal patch panels:

242441823.jpg

242441724.jpg

242441792.jpg

242441853.jpg

Yasin

i picked up my car with a good bit of rust for a price of $1k which i considered a steal. Car came with good motor (supposedly rebuilt, but it's leaking oil somewhere so i guess not) the engine does run fine though.

battery tray area gone

rocker rust on both sides (one side significant)

big dent on rear passenger side fender

frame rails repaired ghetto style but solid

one small hole under driver seat

but as a plus it came with tons of performance handling suspension etc parts.

I'd say that car doesn't look that bad... in the SE for $200 you would be in heaven to get that.. I see cars way worse than mine go for 1k, most Z's on craigslists over here are 6500-10k :weird: