HybridZ

Mike Kelly's Zcar Project

So as promised, I weighed the tire combos...

Each Hoosier R6 in 275-35-18 with CCW 10X18 weighs in at 41 pounds on my scale (two per car)!

Each Hoosier R6 in 295-35-18 with CCW 11.5X18 weighs in at 43 pounds on my scale (two per car)!

Each Kumho VictoRacer in 265-45-18 with TSW Thruxton 9.5X18 weighs 52 pounds on my scale!

That's a pretty decent weight savings on the wheel/tire combos!

Few more teasers...

4169cbe8.jpg

08795a0c.jpg

29a2290a.jpg

403fe333.jpg

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Finally got an overlay of the dyno charts from last time to this time...

8_2011CarbVs3_2012EFI.jpg

Comparison between EFI (better line) and Carb (Lower Line in each overlay). Before people get all hung up on the data, this is NOT a traditional "free spinning" dyno and has a load of 8% applied to the rollers. It's an Eddy Current Superflow Dyno and isn't designed to give impressive numbers... Typically C6Z06 Vettes turn somewhere in the 375HP range on EB3's Dyno, for comparrison... The calculations show close to 500BHP and right at 500#ft. torque on their dyno. Owner of Excessive Motorsports, a dynoshop and competitor who was present during the dyno session in August 2011 swears I'll roll about 420-430 on his Dynojett and way more torque to the wheels, as it's a "Free" roller.

The falloff at 6K was the MSD Digital6 rev limiter interfering. I apparently need to turn it all the way up and let FAST do the control of revs.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Regardless of what numbers you put down on one dyno or another, what's important is the curve. We can deduce raw HP at the wheels with things like weight and trap speed just as accurately, if not more accurately, than a dyno. But plotting a torque curve is a whole nother matter.

What's really standing out to me is that #1, you've gained nearly 500rpm of near-peak-horsepower, which can make ALL the difference in the feeling of power at each shift (as I'm sure you're well aware). The next thing that popped out at me was the AFR curve. Is running a nearly flat AFR curve just a "safety" feature of this tune or is the intake/cam/head/exhaust combo really that well matched through the range? It's also hard to tell if I'm just seeing the fact that the scale is a bit too large to see differences.

Either way, it's all looking really good mike. It must feel nice to at least have progress. :-)

Beautiful thing about the XFi. You can nail down each cell for what AFR you specify based on what the motor likes. we have it pretty much at 12.9 according to the logs. I'll play with it at the track a bit. They noticed a bit of negative pressure on the TpS, which indicated to the operator that the car will really perform better and pick up more power with the airbox in place and the hood on the car. They knew they would have a hard time replicating the efficiencies of my ram-air setup.

I'm very happy overall and hope it performs as well on track as it should.

Mike

Hahaha

Dave, I have to work out the interference issues with the carbon fender to front tire. The issue is these 275-35-18s are 25.5 inches in diameter. The Kumho Victoracers were narrower and 24.8 inches tall. I'm going to have to move the flares, which will likely take a day or two. My weekend is pretty full right now... Maybe next week. Nobody wants to see it outside for beauty pics more than I.

Mike

Very productive couple hours in the shop. I managed to acquire the parts and install the crank ventilation kit in the top of the engine, JB Weld the appropriate fitting into the top of my AllStar crank vent can to turn it into a sealed unit. and dropped the exhaust to install the tubes for the evacutation portion. I am ready to bolt it all back up in place, but will wait until tomorrow to finish that up. Also replumbed my fuel cell vent valve. While I was at it, I removed the front flares to take a peak. I'm absolutely going to have to cut the front fenders and reposition the flares. The fencers only have about 2.5 inches clearance before they contact the top of the tire. So I'll tackle that in the coming couple days. Still need to figure out what I disconnected when I removed the old wiring from the fuel pumps/MSD. In doing so I list all fuction for the electric side of the gauges but not the lights... Go figure. I don't have any power to the fuse in the panel either.

So between re-installing the exhaust system, sorting the gauge wiring and cutting the fenders for more clearance, I'm really closer than I had thought... Two other things I will need to do, wire the two spare toggles on my panel for data logging on/off and traction control on/off! After that, it's on to finishing up the closeout panels for the rear cell area and fixing the rear hatch latch, since I won't be using hatch pins...

Getting there...

Mike

Finished up our crank evacuation system today...

e215d9a9.jpg

e2a00700.jpg

I'll use a 90 degree elbow for the Allstar canister. Pick it up tomorrow at the hardware store!

0b50690c.jpg

I expect the rest of the items on the list to get wrapped up quickly...

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Finished up the fenders on the Datsun this afternoon. I also removed the alternator and clocked it so the connections are up top for it, and I resolved the plumbing for the airbox on the throttle body. I still have a small handful of things left. Probably get some beauty pics in the next 3 days.

Mike