HybridZ

My framerail progress

v8dats

well after mocking up the 2jz i decided that the car was a little too rusty and that the stock rails were junk!

so after some words of encouragement from my friend Derek,i started to take some measurements and hack off the rails and do some rust repairs.

here are some pics. they arent the best quality but you get the idea.

i used 2x3 .083 rectangular tubing.

STA60118.jpg

STA60002.JPG

i also cut the firewall and battery tray areas because they were swiss cheese. still working on the tray area.

STA60157.jpg

STA60173.jpg

STA60004.JPG

STA60009.JPG

i still have some more welding/fabbing to do.

i will then start to fab up the rails from the firewall all the way to the back.

more pics(better quality) to come.

That looks good, just be careful to keep everything square. Don't ask me how I know this.:banghead:

I know how it feels to take that first step and cut out the old rails. After that it gets easier.

I think you probably know how it feels to cut out a wee bit more than just the frame rails.;)

Thanks guys!

hell yeah i was so freaking nervous when i started to hack away!

i measured for like a whole day and took down many notes.

i did use the craftsman welder in the background and it worked awesome. i did use argon and practiced on some scrap first.not sure on the amps of the welder but it is a 115volt.

it also helps that i have my friend Derek's car at my shop for reference..haha

he had the guys over at Mazworx do his rails.

at first i started with the rear rails but i was talked into doing the fronts.

as far as keeping everyting square i did have a support bar tacked in between the rails to keep them square and then removed it after i had them welded in.

the front end was so floppy without the rails and it was a pain to clamp everything in place before welding.

i am happy with the way that its all turning out an cant wait to finish the rears.

thanks for the compliments guys! i have had alot of inspiration from many members here.

as far as DNI Zgad....

no way in hell!!

hahah

i may trailer it up with the engine/tranny bolted in (wishfull thinking).

That's a project! Years ago I decided that I wanted to stiffen my street car so I sort of did the same thing only I didn't have any rust to contend with. I cut the bottom off of the rails and inserted 1/4" wall 2.5" square tubing and brazed it in place. I continued under the car with 1x2" rectangular tubing back to the diff and connected it to the roll cage. I added extra metal to the strut towers and added braces down to the frame rails. Three wheels come up in the air when I jack one up and it handles like a slot car! I couldn't get any more power out of my 3.1 litre stroker so I sold the whole drivetain and am just assembling and mounting a built RB26 with all of the toys. I think that all of the stiffening I added years ago will help tame the motor. Keep up the good work and think about continuing the frame rails all the way to the back.

Guest Z-artist

Wow; I'm encouraged from your post. I'm a novice welder and I'm glad to see some of the comments concerning your fab and welds. Although I haven't cut and reinforced my Z car yet; I did do a leaf spring relocation on my classic Dodge Dart and I really wasn't sure if my welds were up to snuff. (considering all the rear end torque will be transfered to my welds) Fabbing and welding on frames is really scarey stuff! Your welds do look better than mine do by the way. Good job dude!

boxes_thumb.jpg

Dana 2_thumb.jpg

more pics to come!

did some misc tabs for intercooler and rad mount. also tacked up the rear rails!

this is starting to get fun and my confidence is getting better and taking less time to measure and cut.

all i can say is practice,practice,practice!!!!!

• 5 months later...

You know, I'm mulling over replacing my rails and pans. I've been reading a lot of these threads and seen a few slightly different takes on how to combine the front rails to the underside rails, etc. The one thing I don't see is any comments on what everyone has learned about measurements, etc. So, what are the critical points to measure? What "tricks" or "revelations" did you stumble upon that would make it easier next time, etc.? How much weight do you think you gained (if any) by going to the .083" wall tubing?