HybridZ

Interior lighting Upgrade for ALL Z's

HLS30-08077

Interior lighting upgrade for All Z's

Being winter, it's dark sooner and longer than normal. So with that in mind, I really notice how dark the interior is when I drop my keys on the mat in front me. After digging for a minute and finally having to get out of the car and reach down to get the keys, I figure it's time for an upgrade.

Some of you will like it and some of you won't. But the plain and simple truth is "The dome lights in these cars SUCK azz"

So I got online and started looking for your basic 12 volt interior lights. this turned out to be Mission Impossible. So I used Goooogle to look deeper and found this site.... Directron.com and this link will take you directly to the lights in question.

It's a Computer supply site and I found 12" (12 Volt DC) Cold Cathode Tube lights. Used to light up the inside of a computer case with a clear plastic side panel.

The Cold Cathode tube only require 5.0ma which is practically nothing. The picture below will show before and after as well as cutting off the "T" plugs from the inverter that normally plug into the inside of the computer.

They put off a Beautiful white light when placed under the dash. I mounted the first tube at the bootom back corner of the glove box, using the supplied Velcro that came with it. It sits just on the back corner but not on the down facing panel of the glove box. Out of site but able to light everything up.

The blue inverter box sits in the dash area just above the radio. The wires from the inverter to the tubes are only about 12" each so the box has to be placed in the middle of the dash. **DO NOT CUT THE WHITE WIRES THAT GO TO THE TUBES** THEY ARE SPECIALTY HI VOLTAGE WIRES!!

The drivers side was different. The tube sits on the upper side of the steering columnm, with the wired end touching the mid-section of the defrost tube and the other end just barely touching the curved dash support on the left of the steering column. So I Velcro'd the wired end to the plastic defrost tube and doubled up the Velcro on the other end to reach the dash support better.

Best $15 I ever spent on lighting up a very dark interior. They sit low enough to even light the dark seats, just enough to make sure I don't end up with seat belt up my butt, AGAIN!!

Here's the pics..

Dave.

If you have any other lighting upgrades, please post them here, as the title of this forum should pop up when ever someone is looking for lighting options.

DSC04350_thumb.JPG

DSC04351 (Large)_thumb.JPG

DSC04352_thumb.JPG

P-side before CCtube_thumb.JPG

DSC04361_thumb.JPG

DSC04363_thumb.JPG

DSC04364_thumb.JPG

DSC04366_thumb.JPG

DSC04368_thumb.JPG

DSC04367_thumb.JPG

Buy a zx, they have lights on the lower panel under the glove box and steering wheel! heehee. P.S. also in the key lock on the doors, ingnition, inside trunk light and two overhead interior lights:). I even believe on in the glove box as well!

That's great, But you could'nt pay me to buy a ZX. Call me picky or what-ever, I just don't like the ZX. I'll stick with my 70' Z. It's nice that Nissan finally go the lighting correct, and all Z's have lights in the glovebox, I quess they figured we'd wanna be able to find the registration after dark, when being pulled over for having a fast sports car.

Dave.

Buy a zx, they have lights on the lower panel under the glove box and steering wheel! heehee. P.S. also in the key lock on the doors, ingnition, inside trunk light and two overhead interior lights:). I even believe on in the glove box as well!

Don't forget about the cigarette lighter socket! ;)

My lighter shoots out and lands between the seat and tranny tunnel to let you know it is ready.:bonk: I need to fix that.

It probably wouldn't be tough:

Some have a PCI slot blank with a switch on it, which would be really easy to tap into for the dome light input.

Mine is more like a plastic box with a flat slider. You'd have to break into it and solder onto the leads probably. Still not too bad, but a little more involved.