HybridZ

1-Series BMW

cygnusx1

I am absolutely in love with the 135. I was actually thinking about trading in my car for one but I bought a zx instead.

The great thing about them is the fact that not only are they underrated from the factory (not wildly, but just enough to count out the efficient drivetrain theory) and all it takes is a tune to make it close to 400whp. The TT i6 in those are great IMO.. Not to mention the car looks great itself. I think the only thing that I don't like about them is how heavy they are for their size, I think that it would have been fairly easy for bmw to drop it below 3k lbs.

What color did he order? Pleeeeeease say alpine white.

Considering how many 3 series BMW sells in the US, it would make sense to make the 1 and 3 series here. The weakness of the dollar would make them more competitive to say, the G37's, and would help out with the cost to export markets too. Probably won't happen, as that would take to many jobs from the Fatherland though.

Would be nice if the 135i/335i didn't start at 35k/40k . . .

On a side note, Automobile Magazine did a comparison of the 335xi and the STI and EVO X. Considering that it makes do with brake actuated stability control and open diffs, the 3 did really well. Make a 335xi CSL, with real diffs, and things could get interesting :D

Well yesterday I was able to see the new 1 series and the new M3 in person at the local dealership and not a fan of the one series at all. I guess the price is a real turn off to me. The thing is tiny! 40k starting isn't worth it to me at all. I would rather get the 335i like mentioned about for around the same cost. I do like the "idea" of what the 1 series was suppose to be. As for the M3, it looks much better in person and sounds great! The one I saw was red with black int. The guy who was buying it had the biggest grin on his face. I also saw the Evo X yesterday......I think I really like it. Looks 100% better than the concept photos.

All I have to say is....nice sport cars are on the rise $$$ wise....everything is starting at 40K.

Clive

On a side note, Automobile Magazine did a comparison of the 335xi and the STI and EVO X. Considering that it makes do with brake actuated stability control and open diffs, the 3 did really well. Make a 335xi CSL, with real diffs, and things could get interesting :D

Brake actuated stability control is not my favorite. Might work just fine on the street but if you take your car to a track day and the brakes are coming on before and during every corner they tend to burn off really fast. I've heard reports of this happening with the older 3 series when they first introduced traction control.

All I have to say is....nice sport cars are on the rise $$$ wise....everything is starting at 40K.

Clive

We've got to hope that the Hyundai coupe's cost keeps low, especially the sports version with the LSD. A little market pressure to help out on the pricing of the Camaro, from what they are saying the DOHC V6 will be quite the car.

Also might make future Zs more price competitive, with a larger difference in size and cost between the Z and G.

Yup, Im not a big fan. I think they missed the mark with the "one" series... It's going for $38K with the TT motor in it, and weighs in STILL at above 3400#. That's nuts. The whole twist on the car was that is was supposed to get back to the E30 or 2002 style, but you can't get there with a car that's coming in north of 3400#. I'd buy a used M3 first... My buddy did just that... Sold his modified 2006 STi and bought a 2005 M3 in Cobalt blue.

The other issues with the new 335TT and one series TT motor are starting to creep up. Go over to http://www.bobistheoilguy.com and check out the thread on the 335TT oil issues... BMW might well have another major recall on their hands on this motor... Seems the oil is breaking down much to fast...

Mike

Yup, Im not a big fan. I think they missed the mark with the "one" series... It's going for $38K with the TT motor in it, and weighs in STILL at above 3400#. That's nuts. The whole twist on the car was that is was supposed to get back to the E30 or 2002 style, but you can't get there with a car that's coming in north of 3400#. I'd buy a used M3 first...

Mike

Exactly!

When the one series was introduced over a year ago, there was talk about at sub 30k sports car and the TT model coming in a little of 32k. Now a fully loaded TT is 41k and some change. I rather get a used M3, brand new G37 S, Evo X...list goes on.

I'm excited about them too, and Vishnu kit is pretty damn impressive - a friend at work has one on his 335 and it is ridiculously fast for the $1200 on SW he spent. It's not warrantied though, so I'm not sold on it...seems to run hot too, under load. Dinan has a similar, but more expensive package for the 335 (and I'm guessing wil for teh 135) that is warrantied to match factory BMW coverage.

Got to love the E46 M3's 333 HP from a N/A inline 6 though :)

Any word on how the oil in the chipped 335i's has fared? Mike's link to the oil forum has some interesting discussion on the condition of the oil in the stock 335i setup. Chip the engine, generate some more heat . . . wonder how often oil might have to be changed to keep things all good.

Any word on how the oil in the chipped 335i's has fared? Mike's link to the oil forum has some interesting discussion on the condition of the oil in the stock 335i setup. Chip the engine, generate some more heat . . . wonder how often oil might have to be changed to keep things all good.

I had heard the first year models (07) had issues with the oil getting hot but that they fix that in the 08 and forward models with a better oil cooler unit.

I had heard the first year models (07) had issues with the oil getting hot but that they fix that in the 08 and forward models with a better oil cooler unit.

Found a Motor Trend article with a comparison of the G37 and 335i, both autos. This quite is regarding oil coolers.

"BMW installed them only on manual Sport models until March, when automatics with the Sport package started getting them. There is no recall or factory-sponsored retrofit, but enthusiast owners should consider installing an oil cooler."

Is the oil cooler only installed on the Sport Package cars still? I can't imagine what might happen under the hood of one of those cars in brutal 115+ summer heat.

Found a Motor Trend article with a comparison of the G37 and 335i, both autos. This quite is regarding oil coolers.

"BMW installed them only on manual Sport models until March, when automatics with the Sport package started getting them. There is no recall or factory-sponsored retrofit, but enthusiast owners should consider installing an oil cooler."

Is the oil cooler only installed on the Sport Package cars still? I can't imagine what might happen under the hood of one of those cars in brutal 115+ summer heat.

I don't know...but if you get the Dinan SW upgrade for the 335 you need to get the oil cooler upgrade from Dinan as well - else they won't match the BMW warranty :)