HybridZ

The part number thread

Guest Timd

i just cut the flange off my sump and braised it on backwards, cut, rotated and rewelded the pickup and bent the windage fins down to clear the crank journals... seemed much easier and cheaper (about $5 in materials and half an hour's work) also in NZ. surely spending in the neighbourhood of $400 is a little bit drastic for this part of the conversion?

I assume this is an RB26

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

here's 2 pics of the dipstick in the stock front location on the rb25det series 1 and then 3 pics of the rear location (i think?) am i correct that it's that lighter recessed spot just rear/lower than the oil filter?

Picture%20001.jpg

Picture%20002.jpg

Picture%20003.jpg

Picture%20004.jpg

Picture%20005.jpg

sorry about the size, i just uploaded them from the camera.

just to clearify, i was able to pull my dipstick out from the front location. next i need to remove the oil pan, use hammer/punch and knock the plug from the outside in, down into where the pan would be. then knock the plug into the front side from the underside up (or from the outside down since i removed my dipstick casing already?)?

thanks for the help, i'll be working on this later tonight hopefully.

btw i'm ording a new intake plenum asap b/c i'm just never going to reinstall the stock one ever again. it took FOREVER to remove and i had even done it before.

OK I can confirm that the 10% Stony left out there is the correct %. I have a 1995 seriesII Rb25det and it is most certainly drilled for both front and back dipstick locations. I can't speak for the series I but all I had to do was tap out the plug in the rear and pull the tube and install it where the plug came out and then reinstall the plug in the front hole.

Just my .2

Jeff

I Have a series 1 rb25det, and it has both holes drilled. I used the same method as above, however I had to bend the dipstick tube a little to be easily grabbed to check the oil level.

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1939-1.jpg

Just remember that this does not apply to all rb26 blocks. The later blocks are not drilled and plugged but do have the indentation showing where to drill!!!!

This is correct, I have a late '32 rb26 and it is not drilled.

• 2 months later...

There's a great site where the whole swap and installation process is documented including relocating the dipstick location. http://myweb.westnet.com.au/mikeval/MoreInfo.htm

Incidentally, my block wasn't predrilled with a brass plug in the back gallery like most others eeem to be. But it won't be tough to drill and tap.

I'm in the process of building an RB26 to install into my '72 240z. The motor that I got from JDM with only 75k on it is immaculate inside, but I can't leave well enough alone and we're installing aftermarket rods and pistons etc. I'll document the process and put a page together.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest old300zx

i know the australian rb30 oil pan is diffrent to the 200zr oil pan

one is the front bowl one is the rear bowl

i hope this help

The RB30 sump bowl is at the front as said by old300ZX. The RB20 you require is the one with the rear bowl. Even some RB20's have a front bowl as I found out

yeah, i tried to line up my s14 cross member with my engine mounts yesterday, since my engine is upside down

it didnt work out too well. LOL