HybridZ

Damn you Nissan!

auxilary

I own my 04 roadster and love it in spite of the plain grill and front end. I also believe the Roadster looks way better then the hard top.

I dont like the "370" much at all. The grill and headlights are silly. As for the general body lines.... too smooth and not sporty enough for me. Give me a GRID car!

It's better looking that the GT-R...

Mike

Wow. That's really something to brag about.

It's great that Nissan is building cars that are wonderful drivers. But why do they have to be so dang ugly? I understand if you're building a sedan or a wagon or a truck. But a sports car should be as simulating to look at as it is to drive.

It just seems to me that with all the talented designers we have today there is just no excuse for producing an ugly duckling sports car.

I am dead serious when I say I'd buy two new Z's today if they were donned with the beautiful body lines of Grid's design. The first I'd drive and second would go into storage as an investment for the future.

Wow. That's really something to brag about.

It's great that Nissan is building cars that are wonderful drivers. But why do they have to be so dang ugly? I understand if you're building a sedan or a wagon or a truck. But a sports car should be as simulating to look at as it is to drive.

It just seems to me that with all the talented designers we have today there is just no excuse for producing an ugly duckling sports car.

I am dead serious when I say I'd buy two new Z's today if they were donned with the beautiful body lines of Grid's design. The first I'd drive and second would go into storage as an investment for the future.

i agree with you on the fact that you hold your own opinion and so do i, and that they may differ (we do agree on this right?...), then i'm pretty sure you'll agree with me that the taste for design is subjective, and some people will like one, or hate one, or be in between.

Some would call that car a masterpiece. And that's why they sold other cars that were "ugly". no?

... i'm pretty sure you'll agree with me that the taste for design is subjective, and some people will like one, or hate one, or be in between.

Absolutely. If someone thinks the 350Z, 370Z, and GTR are beautiful cars, more power to them. I also think it's the cute when some guy believes his homely wife is the most gorgeous woman in the world. I'm not going to tell him otherwise.

Some would call that car a masterpiece. And that's why they sold other cars that were "ugly". no?

Cars sell for other reasons besides looks. When I ordered my new Chevy truck I knew I would have to shield my eyes when I walked up to it. Many sports car guys believe the only view of their car that matters it the view over the dashboard. I respect that.

When I'm shelling out tens of thousands of dollars on a "sports car" I want it to look like more than I paid for it, not less.

Thats because its moving in that pic. The only way I can imagine a parked 370 to look like its moving is if Im dizzy.

Oh ya...those fangs...GRAND FROMAGE!

I think its HOT! It has a sense of moving while sitting still, where as the current 350z looks like its still all the time (stock). I just hope they get rid of that annoying exhaust note.

The body and headlights in my opinion don't look that great.. but I Love tha fang bumper, you could call it gay and "rice", But you are forgetting that fact that all our Z's came with Fangs on their stock bumpers. ( fangs/jutouts, whateeeeva )

The idea of a retro 240Z carbon copy makes me want to puke.

Leave the retro B.S. to companies like Chrysler who need gimmicks like that to move their crap off of the lots.

Though I agree the whole retro trend has gotten out of hand, you've got to see where they're comming from as designers.

Most humans with a pulse will agree that the best looking cars have come and gone, and have been gone for a long time. There are countless classic cars that are just gorgeous. Very few cars of the 70's 80's and 90's will ever reach the status of those cars. I mean, just about any car from the 50's is just plain sexy, and don't even get me started on 50's and 60's europian cars.

The push to make aerodynamic cars at a cheap price point forced the style into very confined boxes and finally today companies are actually trying to make GOOD looking cars again that are STILL aerodynamic.

One of the big problems though is the whole tuner culture and how it's affected people's tastes. Kids were given hondas from their parents, so what are they going to modify? Thier honda. They don't want it to look stock, so they find the most outrageous body parts they can find for it and eventually we have this whole culture that's addopted that outrageous look. And then companies follow the culture and BAM:

You have a nissan GTR....

Though other companies actuall got a CLUE! Look at all the Ford GT40 concepts over the years. Which one looks best? The new one they actualy made looks far better than any of the concepts imo. What's scary is that with how similar it looks it still achieves VERY amazing aerodynamics while the old one was terrible and very freaky to drive (obviously I've never driven one, but there are plenty of interviews and comments by people who raced them in their day). That's the beauty of modern engineering, making a car look as gorgeous as those old cars and still performing just as good as a new car should.

I applaud companies like TVR taking classic lines and making them look new again. I sure wish someone was selling cars like that stateside.

I never once thought the retro move was a gimmick. Make some companies make it that way, but as a whole I don't think it is. I think it's smart engineering and smart marketing working as one.