HybridZ

R I P Scott Kalitta, 1962-2008

Warren

s_kalitta.jpg

The NHRA sadly suffered another loss today. Professional Funny Car driver Scott Kalitta, 46, was killed in a fiery crash at the end of the strip at Englishtown, NJ today, when his car exploded near the finish line and burst into flames. The car continued to the end of the track, parachutes in a tangled mess. When it hit the sand trap, it ran completely through the sand, and the fence then exploded yet again when it hit the concrete barrier. He was transported to the hosiptal where he was pronounced dead from mutiple injuries incurred during the crash.

Godspeed Scott, you will be sorely missed.

NHRA Raceday will air at 11:00am ET tomorrow morning and the finals eliminations will be broadcast at 8:00pm ET, both on ESPN2.

I just saw the video of the crash, and wow, that's bad.....

'Chutes came out but look like they were shredded by the initial explosion, nothing you can do after that, especially since it looks like there was no attempt to slow down, like he may have been knocked out.

I was at the track in Englishtown today. He crossed the line at something like 322 MPH. It looked like a first explosion, followed by the big one at the end into the sand and net barrier. There was no official announcement by the NHRA while we were there. People stayed in the stands for a while, until slowly the cars started to leave the staging area and go back to the pits.

You could tell he had died by the emergency response... no helicopters, no updates from the announcer, etc. The DHL pits were surrounded by well-wishers and people looking for an update. The place was pretty quiet as the teams packed up for tomorrow.

Yea, a bad ending to an otherwise great day. :(

What a loss for the race community.......why don't they have a longer run out distance without a cement wall??

This has been debated over and over again, since this happened yesterday on yellowbullet.com......

E-town has about a 1/2 mile shut down, one of the longest on the NHRA circuit.

The "wall" at the end of the shut down, is not perpedicular to the track, in fact it's curved, the angle of the camera makes it look like it's perpendicular to the track.

The curved wall is there, to deflect cars from going into the trees and worse yet, the public road that is just beyond the trees.

Here are a couple aerial pictures:

etown2.JPG

1z6vd3n.jpg

Most people seem to feel the sand trap is too short, which could be the case, but I'm not sure how much effect there would have been if the sand trap was extended by even double. There seems to have been no attempt to stop the car, after the initial explosion, indicating that Scott was likely knocked unconcious or possibly killed at that point, the 'chutes were out when the body came off the chassis, like they are supposed to be, but worn shredded by the initial explosion.

Yes, the runout is actually quite long. From the stands we couldn't see very much action at the end of the track with (admittedly cheap) binoculars. At those speeds any distance comes up quick though.

I'll be watching the finals tonight on TV, and I'm glad to see the NHRA finish the event. Something good will come out of something this bad, be it a reminder to us all that life is special to improved safety regulations or equipment in motorsports venues.

My guess is the whole "ban 1/4 tracks in NHRA" cry will kick up again... Some pushed to force them to 1/8th mile tracks several years back, and it wouldn't surprise me if it gets debated again...

Mike

My guess is the whole "ban 1/4 tracks in NHRA" cry will kick up again... Some pushed to force them to 1/8th mile tracks several years back, and it wouldn't surprise me if it gets debated again...

Mike

That cry was made within the hour of the crash.

There are several threads on yellowbullet.com, discussing this incedent, and many related issues, along with ideas on how to try to keep this from happening again.

In the very thread that announced his crash, probably within minutes of the thread being posted someone cryed foul on the 1/4 mile format.

Just an FYI, yellowbullet has many top name racers in many drag racing formats and classes, including the Gliddens, and a few other top names in drag racing, though I haven't seen Bob Glidden post too much, mostly Billy Glidden.

I don't see shortening to the 1/8 mile format doing what people think it will. All I see happening is that instead of the fuel cars blowing up at 1000', they will start to blow up at 600', since the crew cheifs will just start to run them MORE on the edge than they are now. The speeds will only be limited for a short period of time, I'd say maybe a year, before we see 300 MPH 1/8 mile speeds, the fuel cars are already running 270 MPH in the 1/8 mile as it is. If NHRA shorten the program to 1/8, it's only a temporary solution, that will make a new learning curve, that will eventurally again be called "too fast", then what? shorten to 1/16 mile, might as well go right to 60' dash, and be done with it.

Racing is competitive, and because of this, the tuners and chassis builders and crew cheifs, will only find a way to be faster is a shorter distance.

In the same scenario, Kalitta would have died even if the race was 1/8th mile and the shutdown was 3/4 mile. 250mph will kill you just as dead as 320mph, it's just physics and what the body can withstand. It's not the speed, it's the sudden stop at the end that will get you. Barring a fire or explosion of course. The navy has successfully used safety nets to stop jets at 200 knots+ on carriers for years. I wouldn't doubt that the same technology is adopted by the sanctioning bodies and paid for by increased ticket fees to watch.

At speeds somewhere above 100 mph sand traps are ineffective; the vehicle just skips across the surface. The FIA has been eliminating sand traps at all F1 certified race tracks and replacing them with asphalt or concrete. This gives the driver more runoff area and the ability to regain control or get the car slowed down a lot more before impact. Unfortunately, if the driver is incapacitated, the accidents can be much worse.

A friend and I had this very discussion the day after the incident, and I see a lot of points in this thread that were actually the topic of conversation with us as well. First off, i dont believe in reducing the speed. If you limit the speeds, then its going to become just like NASCAR. This sport is based on how fast you get down that track. NASCAR is a much longer race (obviously), and you have a lot more time to try to get to the front of the pack. Drag racing only gives you seconds to do this all in, and everything has to be PERFECT. One small issue with tires, suspension, timing, clutch engagement, etc could spell a loss for the team, or even worse. I also agree with the comment about the sand traps, and how when a vehicle is going that fast, it will just skip across the surface...just like skipping a rock on water. I think instead of limiting or reducing the speeds, there needs to be more innovative safety solutions...The nets area good idea, but obviously they have their faults as well. What about some kind of tire barrier, water barrier, foam, etc? Something that can slow the car down enough that the sand trap will be effective?

The bad thing about this crash was that he, like people have been saying, was probably knocked unconscious from the concussion of the motor grenading. That means he 1. Couldnt hit the brakes and 2. Couldnt cut the fuel supply so the motor would stop running. Even if the ignition is cut, the cars are still going to run, simply because of the fact that they end up deiseling. The only way to kill the motor is to starve it of fuel.

Its really unfortunate to see such amazing talent succumb to this kind of tragedy, but in reality, they know what their doing, and the dangers of such. They probably could think of no better way to leave this earth...

And to them, I tip my hat...Lets just hope that things can change for the better...instead of removing the one thing that drives this sport...all out speed.

Its really unfortunate to see such amazing talent succumb to this kind of tragedy, but in reality, they know what their doing, and the dangers of such. They probably could think of no better way to leave this earth...

As bad as that may sound, I completely agree. He went out with a bang doing what he loved. Life cut short, but I couldn't think of a better way to go myself. Yet again, godspeed.

• 2 weeks later...