HybridZ

Rallycross beater - What car would you use and why?

Lukaniuk

My brother and I are looking at getting into some rallycross later this fall and we're looking for something (under or around $500) that we can strip down and beat the crap out of. + We'd like something that would be fairly competitive.

List of vehicles we've found in our price range that we're considering.

78 280Z $400 runs but there's lots of rust

89 Suzuki Swift GTi - needs head gasket - $500

86 Subaru XT AWD Turbo - no spark - $200

86 Audi GT Coupe $500 body damage

83 VW Rabbit GTi $1400 high comp pistons + Head work - newly rebuilt

90 Toyota Celica GTS $500 needs some engine work

84 Toyota Celica GTS $500 doesn't run - owner says it needs a fuel pump

86 Mazda RX7 $750 I'm not too knowledgeable on rotarys.

What would you choose?

Or,

What would you use if you were going to build a rallycross beater?

My friend works for grassroots motorsports and he has been doing alot of autocross. In all kinds of crappy cars like you have suggested. If your trying to go for fast go with AWD. If your wanting sheer fun factor go with a RWD. He hates driving the neon they have. Is the audi you mentioned AWD? and the subie would always be a good choice

My friend works for grassroots motorsports and he has been doing alot of autocross. In all kinds of crappy cars like you have suggested. If your trying to go for fast go with AWD. If your wanting sheer fun factor go with a RWD. He hates driving the neon they have. Is the audi you mentioned AWD? and the subie would always be a good choice

The Audi is FWD. My brother seems pretty keen on this one.

I agree that RWD would be the most exciting. I'm kinda leaning towards the suzuki though. Super light and you can rev the piss out of it.

What's most important to you?

Working on the car, or the racing.

If it's the racing experience I'd go with AWD or RWD for obvious reason.

If it's more about working on the car to take the abuse then just pick which ever you think won't break in half first. Or if it does can be most easily welded back into 1 piece:grin:

Whatever you get be sure to post pictures. And some video's if you get to race it.

I bought a turbo car because boost is sweet, but also cause I don't have a turbo car and wanted to get to learn about them. If i were just going to beat it to pieces I don't think I'd have spend the money I did for a turbo one.

AWD,FWD or RWD is purely a preference for you. None has any advantage over the other because whatever you choose,you will be competing against like cars.Thats one of the ways they divide the classes in rallycross. My personal preference would be a RWD Z done up like the baja Z's of the seventies.

If you can afford it, the VW GTI, if it's been done properly.

If you can fix it cheap, 90 Celica...

It will be dependable, and you'll be able to get setup-parts for it to make it fun and competitive.

I'd think the Audi would be very expensive to replace parts on.

You said "cheap", so I'm assuming maintenance is also impacted by Budget.

Mike

Suzuki gti's do weird things on gravel and rough stuff. Snap lift of oversteer. Wicked on power understear. Really hard to drive fast off pavement. My wife had one when we first meet. Spun the thing time and time again!

Douglas

if you can, try getting your hands on a 1st gen rx-7. If you took some time to research and watch a few rotary videos you should be able to port the engine okay if you know how to use a dye grinder. The 12a in the 1st gen is capable of a fairly good amount of power and the chassis are used in all forms of racing today. Parts are easily attainable and cheap.

On the list i think my vote goes to the subie. Replacement parts aren't too expensive, and are more availible than say... audi.

I've always been impressed with the history the celica cars have had in rally. In the celica's long history it's almost ALWAYS had a place in rally, even if it wasn't top dog. They'd be worth looking into and researching.

I'd go second gen Rx7 GXL, GTU, or T2. Having owned a GXL, I can verify they are pretty nimble. Light car, decent power, (more to be had with a good port, intake and exhaust. Later on RX8 Eccentric shaft, stationary gears and rotors for higher compression.) LSD stock pretty big brakes 4 piston calipers. The list goes on and on for these cars. They are amazing. Just my .02.