HybridZ

Interesting moveable wing...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is cool stuff. I would love to see what that would do on a high powered Z car. Say mine. I wonder what it would do for the steer it with the throttle type of driving? I'm looking forward to seeing some data from their tests. There doesn't seem to be any up on the site now.

well they ran the wing in SCCA Street Modified 3 and Street Modified 2 (they tossed it on a miata just to do it hah)

seems like a really interesting idea, being able to maximize downforce for low speed tight turn's, to high speed turns. (and is the reason why F1 doesn't want them I bet)

I believe, that to get a reasonable effect from this wing, or any wing for that matter, you would need to be going at a pretty good clip......so for most autoxing, I would think the only effect the wing would provide would be mostly visual! What do you guys think?

Tom

Large multi-element winds or single element wings at high angles of attack do help at Solo2 speeds.

But none of this is new:

http://www.nsxfiles.com/otc0_2003_day0.htm

11:30 a.m.

We finally arrive at Buttonwillow, about 3 hours later than our planned time. John Coffey is there, and has been waiting since 8:00 a.m. for us to show up. I pull the S2000 out of the trailer with Jason's Active Aero Big Ass Ugly Wing (AABAUW), and Coffey starts ragging on it immediately. He says it looks like something Jethro Clamplet would put on his car. I told him wait until you see the lap times I am gonna throw down with the AABAUW. I show him how we can change the rake of the wing in the cockpit. 20 minutes later, right before we take the car on the track, the 30 amp fuse blows on the AABAUW. We have no more 30 amp fuses. DAMN. Coffey shakes his head, viewing me as being the Owner of Moron Racing. The wing is stuck in the "level" position. Can't test the wing today, so we swap on the stock trunk lid without the wing.

Large multi-element winds or single element wings at high angles of attack do help at Solo2 speeds.

But none of this is new:

http://www.nsxfiles.com/otc0_2003_day0.htm

Did you watch the video? This is different. It pops up on one side or the other depending on which way you turn, and both sides lower under accel and raise under decel. I have to wonder if having more downforce albeit at the cost of more drag wouldn't be a better way to go, especially when the speeds stay under 80 mph.

My post was tongue in cheek. I've seen the movable wing video and its a good idea. They have a lot of work to do to get it past the sanctioning bodies, but I think the time has come for the ban on movable aero devices to go away.

I don't think this thing would be legal pretty much anywhere, but it is an interesting idea. The website has vids of Vic Sias's BMW autoxing with this wing on it.

That's pretty cool but I'm skeptical it works any better than when set at max downforce for autox. I'd like to see a back to back test showing speed and g traces. I could definitely see this working on road courses.

Cary

I believe, that to get a reasonable effect from this wing, or any wing for that matter, you would need to be going at a pretty good clip......so for most autoxing, I would think the only effect the wing would provide would be mostly visual! What do you guys think?

Please keep this myth going. We've found that 35 MPH is about the point where you can start to see some aero advantage. At 45 MPH it's clear as day.

Cary

Does anyone think that wing (those wings?) could land you in trouble? I don't like the idea of some independant 'mind' deciding how much downforce on which side to apply at any given moment, it may not be 'thinking' what I am.

No, there are better performance enhancement things to claim my paltry budget, will give that one a miss.

I dont think that it creates more down force but it puts the down force on the corner of the car that needs it. As you go around a corner your weight shifts to the outside corner. If your going around a left hand corner, your weight shifts to the right side of the car so it flattens out the right spoiler and lifts up the left one to help put the down force on the inside of the car to help keep the car flat.

I still don't see this as beneficial. I could be wrong though. Why not let the ARB do the ARB's job and then just go for max down force? Why throw away down force that otherwise would cause the outside tire to generate more traction?

That's what I'm thinking too. If you're running really stiff springs, and you should if you're going to make a lot of downforce, then there won't be that much roll, so you can have the whole wing working and get twice the downforce that you would from this thing.

So just slap the jumbo whale tale on it and be done with it? Sounds good to me.

I don't think the whale tail is legal for any class of autoxing. Maybe if you ran A Mod, but that'd be a joke. If I recall the Prepared rules say the wing must be within the body lines when viewed from above. Aside from the legality issue, I suspect that there are much more efficient wing shapes for producing downforce, even though the whale tail faired fairly well in the wind tunnel testing.

ya, laying down on the outside when in a corner is pretty counterproductive, not to mention the major efficiency loss by splitting the wing in half with no center endplate. they would have better results with a single wing that acts as a function of speed and acceleration, and would have to be darn sure that it wasn't going to lay down in the middle of a corner

"Nothing new under the sun.........."

April 1968. Nissan R381 sports car. Split-element, hydraulically-actuated rear 'stabiliser' wing, reactive to speed, cornering forces and braking.

Raced. Won. Banned.........

R381 active stabiliser-1_thumb.jpg

R381 active stabiliser-2_thumb.jpg