HybridZ

Hit a Snag in my Tokico Install

Challenger

IMG_1969.JPG

Did get one out, but now I cant get the rest off. :(

IMG_1966.JPG

12 stitches and almost a tendon..

Lesson learned, dont have a foot on the top of the drum and a hand under the fender lip. The spindle/shock assembly acts like a large pivot. Luckily my hand shielded the fender lip from any damage. :)

Now I cant finish the rest of the shocks and bushings before school starts. (3 weeks) :(

when i replaced my shocks i did the same thing minus the finger part. OUCH!

Its a whole lot easier to take out the whole assembly, swing arm and all trust me. you will have to unhook alot of stuff like the half shafts and the brake lines but you wont have to sacrifice fingers in the process. lol

MMMM, what's for dinner???

What part are you trying to get apart?

If you're attempting to get the spindle pin out you don't have to in order to replace the strut inserts.

If you're trying to take the spring hat off be sure to get a spring compressor before you loosen the nut on top otherwise the spring hat becomes a nice projectile.

If the nut is rusted to the top of the strut an impact wrench works pretty well.

Wheelman

Well I have a set of new struts and springs, and a full bushing kit. All I was trying to do was drop the shock down where I can switch in the new shock/springs.

Im not sure If I need to disassemble the rear suspension any more to put in all the new bushings, I havent really looked through the parts list thoroughly to see what all it replaces.

Dude, that sux. Hope it heals quickly so you can get back to the Z.

If you do try and work on your car anytime soon (I still do after finger injuruies) youl realize that you really need all 10 fingers to work properly.

don't take them for granted, be carefull!

Yeah I wont be using it for awhile. I guess its time my dad helps me on my car. Ill get a stool and a long pointing stick. "that bolt, loosen!!" :)

Its tons easier to just remove the control arms with the strut assembly instead of swinging it out like you did. Its a tight fit inbetween the fender lip and the spring hat as you found out.

I have to disagree. I think that assuming you can keep your finger out of the way, pulling the strut down like that is really the way to go. After the spring is pulled it's really easy to put the top hat back on and put the strut back in place and put one nut on to hold the top hat. Now everything is held nicely and you can take your big ass pliers and loosen the gland nut very easily. Once it is loose, pull the whole thing back down and you can swap the strut insert, put the spring and top hat back on and reassemble.

I had a Nissan master tech as a roommate for a couple years, and that's the way he did it. He would only pull the control arm if he needed to replace bushings.

YIKES!! At least you saved the car, LOL.

I usually start with "Stupid, stupid, stupid" when I do something like that. Fortunately so far I've had no major injuries, just a few smashed fingernails and minor wounds. My buddy thinks I'm insane for working on my car without wearing gloves. I just find them too cumbersome.

Did you get that split second feeling of, this could not be the smartest thing? I get them before injury sometimes I stop, sometimes not fast enough to react.

Sorry about that, now you will have to wait to see how great the car handles with that upgrade! Bummer won't be able to show kids at school all the hard work you have put into the car.

Get you mom involded and make it a family affair, just tell them you need some bonding time:)