HybridZ

Real ball bearing chinese turbo! $255.00 Would You buy it?

RB26powered74zcar

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320315576849

The seller is giving me a "second chance" offer since the orig buyer flaked out on him.

Question is, this can't be that bad a deal for $255 huh? I have a nice T3 single manifold I was thinking on trying out, and was going to buy a real GT35r, but this may work long enough for me to make up my mind to go single permanently, then I will spend the $1,300 on a GT35r...

I would get it and run it till it dies. Hell it may not die on you and may make the power your looking for. Doesnt look like horrible turbo.

What he said. I don't know if I'd put a no name turbo on an engine that I spent alot of time and $$$$$$ on, but if it was going onto a junkyard L28et for giggles, then why not.

Guest 280ZForce

i guess just for testing purposes... ok fine. but I agree, why skimp on the build now?

I suppose the worst that could happen is the turbo breaking, but it shouldnt affect anything besides the turbo itself if it did break and won't destroy anything else in the process, so that's a low risk factor. What the heck... go for it!

It LOOKS like it was taken apart and re assembled on a bench by the seller.

That alone, even knowing NOTHING about the seller, is a confidence-enhancer in my book. Remember the OTC quaife knockoff someone reconned and turned into a viable unit????

I say it can't hurt to get one if you take it apart, inspect tolerances and craftsmanship, and then put it in your car. In other words, treat it like a junkyard/NOS/mystery replacement unit rather than a $1200 brand new part from garrett....

seriously, why risk it? Its cheap for a reason.

ok, lets say that the impeller comes apart, because its manufactured out of cheap materials, and the balance of it is shot (and lets face it, it is IMPOSSIBLE to balance a turbine that rotates at +140,000rpm without very expensive equipment)

So, the impeller comes apart, and shatters inside the housing. the remnants head up your inlet track, from there, two things will happen, they will either embed themselves firmly in your intercooler, trashing it internally (written off cooler)

Or if you dont have a cooler, they will end up IN the engine, where they have the potential to jam between the valves that are opening and closing, or the piston that is heading up and down rapidly.

remember, if that thing is going to let go, its going to do it at full power/rpm's where it WILL maximise the damage.

IMO, not worth it at all, unless its a cheap junker that you dont mind if it blows up spectacularly)

Personally, i reckon using one of these turbos is up there with using JB weld to hold a BOV on.

I wouldn't, every time I have shortcutted like that I have regretted it in the long run. How do you know it will perform like a real 35r anyway?

If you do though, I agree with everyone as far as checking tolerances. However, you certainly can't judge material quality. Makes me wonder if the housings are good, why not just put known garrett wheels on it and hope for the best? Bearings seizing isn't the end of the world.

Evan

Edit, beat me to it.

I have a buddy that was selling repacment turbos for a certain car (nothing anyone hear probably cares about). They were OE units but he tried out one of the "China" turbos. He sent it out to be remanufactured with quality parts. Has sold several hundred with not one failure and is saving himself some change.