HybridZ

400+ hp build questions

bianski

Im shooting for over 400 wherever it lands i don't mind.As long as its over that amount.i was wondering if anyone could project if my build would make that much.

my parts list:

turbo motor

Ross Forged piston Kit

ARP Head studs

Turbonetics T04 (hoping to run around 20psi)

Methanol injection

550cc injectors

unspecified cam (not sure yet)

MS V3.0

pallnet fuel rail

walbro 255 lph fuel pump

thats all i have right now and i was also wondering if i should do just a refresh on the head or go with peformance springs and such.

thanks everyone

I'm going to take a stab at this and say you'll probably make plenty of power, but I don't know about 400+. You're REALLY going to have to list specifics. Piston dish, head, LD28 crank? boring?

edit to clarify: Not saying it's iffy, I'm just saying that more information would be helpful.

Im shooting for over 400 wherever it lands i don't mind.As long as its over that amount.i was wondering if anyone could project if my build would make that much.

The answer is that it could. No one can tell you if it would, but with the right details filling in the gaps you are on the right pathway. In other words, the total receipts will have far more itemized bits than you have on your list, and there are no guarantees.

let me look into my crystal ball...

No, you will detonate on your sixth dyno pull, and fail the engine spectacularly with rod ventilation at #5.

There will be fire.

Please plan the video camera positioning and future you-tube post accordingly for our entertainment.

• Administrators
thanks for the sarcasm (lol)

Making 400HP, with "x" parts, is rarely black & white.

The difference in a valve job, at that level, can be quite substantial. That is not a 'part'. That is talent, tooling, and care. Some shops are better at it than others. That's only one aspect of head work. There are countless others. Who's doing the head work, and what are they doing?

Are you using a stock exhaust manifold? Ported? By whom? I assure you, some people know how to do this better than others.

A properly tuned motor can make great power for a long time. A poorly tuned motor will do neither. Who's tuning the motor?

This is a never ending story. It goes on and on and on. Making good power, reliably, is not an X Y Z proposition.

Further, defining a peak number, alone, is nearly as disastrous as listing a bushel of parts.

If it was easy, we'd all be doing it.

You can EASILY do it with a stock long block, fuel rail and ex mani. It will be reliable as long as you don't get crazy with the timing and don't push it to far on the octane you are running. Regardless of pistons, rods, and whatever else you want to use you will need atleast 20 psi to do it.

Well its the P90 head F54 block thats what i plan on using. but I also have a stock N42 sitting in the car. which would be better? I was gonna use stock crank and rods with ross forged pistons. The tuner when i get it all done will hopefully be a guy named Steve Khan that is quite reputable for tuning Drag and Time Attack Rx-7's throughout the U.S., As for the head work im not to sure about what would be the most efficient and and cost effective for my set up considering i plan on using meth and high boost. I plan on doing the porting on the manifolds because is not a hard task and also saves money.

You can EASILY do it with a stock long block, fuel rail and ex mani. It will be reliable as long as you don't get cray with the timing and don't push it to far on the octane you are running. Regardless of pistons, rods, and whatever else you want to use you will need atleast 20 psi to do it.

I agree. I'm still running the stock cast pistons, block...etc. This is my 3rd motor. The first 2 I got crazy with timing and such. If you tune it right you can run this dog piss out of it. I made 342 at 25 lbs. but went rich at 4500 rpm so the car would not pull good past 5K rpm. I made 390 TQ. I believe I would have broken, or have gotton very close to 400 whp if it would have pulled past 6k rpm. But there again, my tune is VERY conservative. Not to mention the Holset hy35 is not the turbo to do it. This is my 2nd one, And I rebuilt this one already because the rear seal got cooked. I now run 16ish lbs, the "OL hy35 can't handle 25lbs for long I guess?