HybridZ

What was your first ride???????

jasper

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine would be the 1991 Jeep YJ Renegade that I bought at 17.

Kept amazing care of it, off-roaded it a lot but always took care to grease and fix it myself.

A cab driver ran a red light at a blind intersection. I ran into him and bent/cracked the frame and shoved the driveshaft through the t-case. Insurance wrote it off, I bought it back and i'm using it for parts to build my 95YJ Project years later... (60,000km frame and drivetrain with a fiberglass tub etc. will be on 33's)

I bought the Z in the middle of doing the YJ project. The garage can be an unruly place at times now.

First car I drove on a regular basis was an '81 F100. First car I "owned" was a '92 Corolla sedan. First car I had my name on the title of is my '83 280ZX.

Truck's gone, but the Corolla is still sitting in the driveway in front of the ZX, waiting for me to pull the transaxle out of the parts car. Somehow I keep ending up with more important things to do instead. >_>

My first car was a hunk of crap Honda CRX. The guy I bought it from was planning on turning it into an electric car (lol) and had taken the engine and transmission out. He said you can have it for free if you want to put it back together. So I did and got it running. I was all proud of myself and I took it to get it smogged and it failed. I could have gotten it to pass if I dropped a few hundred dollars into it but I had gotten bitten by the Z bug and decided to sh*t can it.

1964 International scout that had been rolled. Got it for $300. Had a rebuilt 4 banger, stick, posi in both ends. Spent more money in rear ends in that thing than it was worth.

Then got a '73 Chevy 1/2 ton P/U, built a 350, 12.5:1's, ported heads, crower solid lifter .510 lift 244 duration 110 LSA, torquer intake, 650 DP, headers, turbo 350. Beat all my buddies camaro's and all fords in town. couldn't outrun the '23 T bucket or my bosses v8 powered 280z which was the fastest thing in town. Got hooked on the z's, helped him build 3 scarab conversions in the shop.

my first car was a 2000 mustang gt automatic (boring) special ordered atlantic blue from the ford ranger so it was one of a kind but that car was my parents and i got it passed on to me when i got my license then i bought my very first real car a 1981 Datsun 280zx Non-Turbo 5 speed got it from a real small dealer i had seen it everytime i'd go to work and finally got the chance to go look at it and then the next few days on a weekend i bought it for $1,600 the dealer wanted 2,499 so it wasnt bad had a few bumps in the rear next to the taillights on both sides and the speedometer mph needle broke and stopped my milage at 159,+ so i dont know where to get a brand new mph gauge, the paint was still good and up to this day is still good even though it had been sittin for like almost a year but i love it, its back alive lol i hate when i write a dam novel

Nearly 30 years ago I found a 68 Dodge Dart GTS with a 383 automatic that was painted "arrest me" orange with a black stripe running up one rear quarter, over the trunk, and back down the other rear quarter. (I don't believe this was actually one of thr 5000 original GTSs).

It had the same 5 slot mags as the early 240Zs with an all black interior.

My next was a green Pinto wagon with boards on the sides and a roof rack....YEEHAW.

First car was a Forest green 72 Plymouth Fury III. What a piece of crap. Got out of it and bought a sky blue 79 Datsun King Cab. Put a four inch boy lift on it, large BFG All -Ternain tires, header and Weber 32/36 DGV carb. Wish I could find another one. Since then I have had at least 15 240-260-280's. Current have a 74 260z convertible with an RB25 waiting to be droped in it.

First vehicle was a 1980s Mazda B2000 pickup. My father gave it to me when I got my license. I beat the hell out of it and ended up trading it for a 1985 Mustang lx with a 6 cylinder. Rear ended a pickup with that and it caught on fire because of the battery placement. Next was the 86 Toyota Corolla that got flooded. Rained for a week and I tried driving through what looked like a small puddle going across the road. Never ran right again. Next was the 88 Chevy Celebrity aka hoopty. Got from point a to point b with 5 friends no problem. The throttle had a tendency to stick and it finally stuck wide open one time and blew the engine. Next was the 65 chevy C10 with a 350 four bolt main, holly contender intake and 650 holly carb, vette 2.02 heads and a 4.11 rear. Great truck. 12 second quarter mile at the track. Rolled at 90mph on a back road. Kid backed out in front of me with no light on. he was trying to sneak his Dad's truck out with his buddy's but couldn't drive a manual and stalled it in the road. I swerved into the ditch, went end over end and bounced off the drivers side three times. The passengers side looked prestine, but I had to pry the drivers door open with a crow bar. Last but definetely not least, my first Z. 1981 280zx NA, black, t-tops, auto (hated that). Loved that car so much. I sold it in Texas after someone pried the drivers t-top out and pealed it back to get my wallet out of the console. I was an E-2 in the Army. No money, but easily financed for a newer vehicle. I won't go into the other cars I had after that unless someone really wants to hear the list.

My first car was a 1966 Chev Malibu/Chevelle. It was hugger orange with a black interior and bench seat. I built a .030 small journal 327 for it with turbo 350 transmission. The car and engine had a bunch of great speed parts that could of made for a fast car. Unfortunately I went cheap on the build and machining which ultimately caused the engine to have bearing problems. I tore it all down and left for the military only to have all the parts stolen while I was in boot camp. Oh well, it was a good time in my life and a great learning experience. I will always wonder how fast the car would of been if the engine was put together by a professional.

I'm just sorry I never got to take advantage of that big bench seat. :mrgreen:

My dad bought me a $50, non-running '55 Ford out of the junkyard in 1965 when I turned 16. He got it running and the rest was up to me. It probably would've run the quarter mile in about 21 seconds and would've used a quart of oil to do so. It almost dragged the massive chrome bumpers when going around a corner hard. I put a glasspack on it and thought I was cool. Little did I know...

John

1965 Corvair Corsa with four 1 barrel carbs. I rebuilt the motor in high school auto shop. It's moment of glory was beating my friend in his brand new TR-6 in a street race.

Worn tires plus wet roads, rear engine and a very large California oak tree combined to make this photo in 1974.

Oops.jpg

'60 Falcon, no a/c, no radio, torn headliner. $500 cash in '65. It was POS but it got me thru high school and part of college. I had a wreck in it too, bad tires, rain and a freeway concrete divider.

Boy, there are some old guys on this thread. :-D

A 71 Cutlass Supreme Convertible. Red, white top and white interior with a 350/350.. Bought it for $1200. Drove it one summer until I spoted a black 71 240Z sitting on a used car lot. Drove the cutlass to the fellow I bought it from (a buddy), sold it back for $1400 (new Carb) and picked up the 240Z that afternoon.

Should have kept the Cutlass. The 240Z was a bag of S_rust_t! But I loved it!

I was 17.....Even then I worked my ass off to afford my toys!