HybridZ

Nissan Announces New GT-R SpecV Model

Kman Art

If you look at what is involved with the V-spec then its easy to see where the extra money goes to, its not like they just stuck a couple of badges and GT stripes on it.

Rather than look at it as a Nissan it should be looked at as a performance car and judged on that basis. That seems to be a bit difficult for the badge snobs but I don't think they are the target market anyway.

Whatever, the new 370Z is my kind of car, hope they do a twin turbo in that soon.

If you look at what is involved with the V-spec then its easy to see where the extra money goes to, its not like they just stuck a couple of badges and GT stripes on it.

Rather than look at it as a Nissan it should be looked at as a performance car and judged on that basis. That seems to be a bit difficult for the badge snobs but I don't think they are the target market anyway.

Whatever, the new 370Z is my kind of car, hope they do a twin turbo in that soon.

Below, I've made it easier to pick out the actual upgrades as detailed in the Jalopnik article. Seems to me that they pulled out the back seats and replaced the fronts with carbon fiber and put carbon fiber in various places (not extensive, really), put a $8k set of wheels and tires on (versus probably a $6k set on the GT-Regular), squirted some titanium on the regular exhaust, put some slightly fancier brakes on, and stuck in a boost controller. That's probably only $30k in parts (on the high end), but imagine getting a GT-Regular and selling your wheels, seats, brakes, and carbon fiber bits and getting that stuff - probably only cost you $10k after all is said and done. It's the badge.

The GT-R SpecV's new exterior features include a carbon fiber rear spoiler, a carbon fiber grille, and carbon fiber brake ducts. The SpecV is available exclusively in Ultimate Black Opal (RP) body color. Inside, the SpecV's unique two-seat interior (non-SpecV GT-R models also include a two-place rear seat) offers special Recaro carbon fiber bucket seats, while carbon fiber insets embellish the rear center storage box, instrument panel and other trim areas.

Performance is enhanced with a new high gear boost control device, which momentarily increases boost of the engine's twin turbochargers for greater torque in the intermediate-to-high speed ranges to provide a more powerful feeling of acceleration, while also allowing the engine to operate at a lower speed for improved fuel economy. Other modifications include a titanium-coated exhaust system and carbon-ceramic brakes that provide powerful stopping performance.

The GT-R SpecV is also equipped with lightweight, racing-style forged aluminum wheels that were developed for this model and have been sold by Nissan Motorsports International (NISMO) since September 2008. The lighter unsprung weight provided by the new wheels, together with the enhanced braking capability, an exclusive suspension and high-grip tires, combine to deliver the SpecV's exceptional performance.

And I agree that the 370Z looks great. More like a Z than the 350Z.

Beautiful car indeed but i agree it's too much money for the V spec i wonder how much the V Spec II and The V Spec III would cost if they ever come out with those, all they really were was a lighter version of a GT-R with much better handling.

I'd rather buy the R34 from Kaizo Unibodies with that money and put the parts in the RB from the Z2 motor from the Z-tune now that car is something else it had been named as the fastest production car in the world. Z-Tune the only car that i'm sure car out take the Bugatti Veyron if they ever gave it a chance but that car is like underground or something i hardly even hear about it even the damn ZZII the mid engine Tommy Kaira with the RB26.

260DET- They did some nice work but where is the 80k in mods? You are buying double the price of the GT-R and getting what 5% increase in performance? I like the GT-R but I would not pay 160k for a spec V....rather buy a P-car! lol

I wonder also about the times this car will lay down without the launch control. Hmmm

The 'problem' is not that the V spec is too expensive, the problem is the standard one is too cheap. So maybe Nissan could narrow the price gap that way :D

Anyway, bring on a TT 370Z.

you cant really say that the gt-r is too cheap theyre making it so its "attainable" but if you look at it this way you want them to raise the price on the gt-r.. if they did everyone would flame it and all but realistcally the gap problem is fixed with the price of the 370z.. :-D i think they are charging a bit too much for what it has. especially with the auto-market where its going we could probably say that all new production pride cars are priced a bit too much.

dont get me wrong i love the new 370z and i hope no chache-bag 350z owners [not every 350 owner is one] get their hands on one. but im with you guys.... BRING ON TT!! :mrgreen:

LMAO! Yeah no kidding! And they really fixed the problem for 2010....NO LAUNCH CONTROL MODE!

Guy

Wow, it's a shame that a few people who decided to drive around all the time with the safety features for the transmission turned off have caused Nissan to have to remove functionality.

I guess I wouldn't care that much, since I would never drive a GTR in mud or snow to begin with.

Wow, it's a shame that a few people who decided to drive around all the time with the safety features for the transmission turned off have caused Nissan to have to remove functionality.

I guess I wouldn't care that much, since I would never drive a GTR in mud or snow to begin with.

That isn't exactly what happened... Using launch control voids the warranty inherently... Using launch control destroys the transmission. So, it comes as no surprise a 'self destruct button' built into the car isn't really that well received.

That isn't exactly what happened... Using launch control voids the warranty inherently... Using launch control destroys the transmission. So, it comes as no surprise a 'self destruct button' built into the car isn't really that well received.

It is exactly what happened in the case of the guy who got all the attention and spawned 400 car forum threads claiming the GTR transmission had problems, and that Nissan was "screwing" him.

Used as indicated in the user manual, it will not hurt the transmission or void the warranty.

But did anyone who launched their car at the track, (and kept that setting enabled while they were driving) have transmission problems and have their warranty claim denied? I never read anything like that except vague rumors.

Those test cars the magazines were using saw hundreds of launches and not one magazine (that I know of, I haven't read them all) reported any transmission problems. So I'm not convinced that just using the button to launch a few times is enough to cause serious problems.

Even if it is, I still don't have much sympathy for anyone who ignores warnings that say "this action will void your warranty." If they can't afford the maintenance on it, then they are idiots for abusing it.

If anybody commenting on the 'too cheap' pricing of the GT-R had any clue on actualy landed cost of vehicles and actual cost of production you would realize that the profits these vehicles generate would be lusted for by any other business model.

If that car has $10-15,000 in costs of materials/production/marketing and distribution into it...I'd be suprised. That would be a 'high end' estimate.

Back in the 80's the 'new mustang' was selling for 10-12K on a new model platform that cost $5K first year of production. After tooling amortization, the internal cost for a mustang before the (?)SN95 models (er...the body style they were selling in 94...) were retolled and produced was less than $2500. They were selling for a tad more than $14K at that time as well (annual price increases dontcha know?). There was a reason those LX's were so cheap---none of the specialty manufacturer content was in them, but the price never dipped much below 2X production cost the first year. nobody wondered how they could sell an LX for $10K in the first year of production, but the last year of production of the chassis, the car could be had for $8K?

A Hyundai Excel in 1985 on the docks with all landed costs involved was under $2000, and was selling for $6000+.

Automotive pricing is not based on cost of production. They get a 20-Group together, have them spend time with the preproduction prototype car well in advance of release, and part of their exit questionarie is 'How much do you think this car should sell for?'

Seeing the results of those polls, and the eventual selling price...it's erie how they are so close.

No GT-R is 'worth' what they are selling it for...it's ALL exorbitant markup. And the slavering Fan-Boys who dote on anything GT-R will keep it that way for a while. They know what the target market is, and that they will pay through the nose because they think they HAVE to in order to get it. Put the wrong 20 Group out there---say midwestern farmers, and you might get a GT-R pricing in the $20 to 25K range. Put in a Ferrari Club or PCA Member random sampling and you get a totally different result with an extra zero on the end.

If the base car was HALF the cost and the upgraded version priced according to the actual cost escalators involved (say $10K increase over Base, if that!)....maybe, MAYBE I'd consider it. Till then it's a lot of poofta poofery, IMO!

Those wheels don't cost $6000. If you knew what original 1999-2002 GT-R wheels cost coming out of the factory at Hayes Lemmerz in La Mirada you would shudder at the markup even used-wheel places were making on the take-offs!

All good points, Tony. I don't KNOW that they're true, but I'm inclined to believe it.

For what it's worth, my $6k guesstimate on the wheels applied to "if you buy these wheels from Nissan to put on your 350Z or GT-Regular." I don't believe for a second that they actually cost that much to produce (even including tooling and design).