HybridZ

Plymouth Cuda with BMW M5 3.8 turbo motor

maser

As someone who grew up in the muscle car era of the late 60s -70s my first reaction was "why would they do that to a classic car". But then I thought that is pretty much what some Datsun purists probably think of my 280Z with a Chevy LT1 engine. I love the 'Cuda body and this will probably make a real nice ride. Keep us posted on the updates.

I love it!!! Now Id do something like that just to go to a muscle car show and hear people bitch about how i ruined a classic American muscle car. Still I love it. Reminds me of fast and the furious tokyo drift where they put the RB26?? into the classic mustang. The classic car guys where in an uproar over it.

wow, a dodge that wont brake down as much..

Think about how much easier it is for him to find parts now too.

I'd sport that car. I think it's neat. Maybe not as much of a monster as a dodge engine can be, but who cares? There's a reason why RB swaps and the likes aren't done too much in the USA. It's just a huge pita when you need something you don't have.

I'd loved to see a BMW V8 in it though.

wow, a dodge that wont brake down as much..

Somebody's got to say it. It's not a Dodge. Would you call a Pontiac a Chevy?

And none of the breakdowns either of my Plymouths experienced had anything to do with the powerplant.

In fact, I'd say the vaunted German engineering would have more teething problems than a simple Plymouth V8.

Flame away.

Dodge, Plymouth, and Chrysler all share engine series though. Pontiac, Chevy, and Buick don't for example.

Dodge engines themselves seem to be decently reliable, but they've made some pretty shotty stuff in the past.

actually almost when it comes to GM they almost all share the same motors, the saturn sky and the pontiac soltices are pretty much the same car, not to mention the ltx and lsx motors that come in a crap load of cars.

Dodge, Plymouth, and Chrysler all share engine series though. Pontiac, Chevy, and Buick don't for example.

Dodge engines themselves seem to be decently reliable, but they've made some pretty shotty stuff in the past.

Yes and no. There are distinctions, depending on the year and engine.

Chrysler Corporation engines(Dodge is a marketing brand, not a manufacturer), specifically of the relevant vintage (1970s) had no issues with quality or reliability. They were extremely well-made and engineered, if a bit simplistic by comparison to a M5 engine of recent manufacture.

I like the ingenuity of this swap, I just think there's a lot of misinformation being passed around.

What Chrysler engines do you refer to as being 'shoddy'?