HybridZ

How do you guys pronounce Datsun?

Adam393

lol...its a 240ZED and a ZEECar....

I travel the US a lot and frequently hear Dot-sun. Never could figure it out....

dat-sun or dat-sin here....depends on my mood! LOL sometimes I call it the Dat-soon too. LOL Everyone that asks me about it says "dot-sun"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course you know how Datsun got it's name don't you?

The Japanese were coming out with an exciting two seat sports car and needed a good name for it right away, so they called the Germans for some help. They tell them they need a name in just a couple of days and the German guy say's, "Daht Soon?"

• Administrators
It seems to be DAT-SUN up here in Canada....I never could understand all those american commercials that pronouce it DOT-SUN....mind you, its a two-forty-ZED up here too....theres no such thing as the letter Zee.

That's funny. Not once in any Datsun/Nissan ad or on any Z car emblem/badge, have I ever seen/heard the letters "ed" after the letter Z... darn furriners, eh... or is it "aye"? :lmao:

What about NISSAN?

I have heard it pronounced Nihss-sann, though mostly in the Pacific northwest we hear it pronounced neice-sahn...

My old boss (from canada to cali to nc) used to pronouce it "nihss-sann" (rhyming with "this than"), used to bug the crap out of me lol. I pronounce it "neice-sahn".

Well, they wanted a car fast. The automaker said "When", they said tomorrow and he said Dat Sooon?!! hence the name "Dat suuun". When it was delivered on time they had to change the name to "Nissan" which literally translates to "Miracle". In that they actually produced a car Dat sun. :lmao:

Well, they wanted a car fast. The automaker said "When", they said tomorrow and he said Dat Sooon?!!

My dad told me that MANY years ago... but you beat me to the punch!

The organization now known as Nissan Motor Company began its life as DAT Automobile Manufacturing and until the name was changed relatively recently all cars which came from the factory were known as Datsuns. The name is derived from the first initials of the three original founders, Den, Aoyama and Takeuchi. The company produced its first experimental car in 1912 and began full production of light sedans in 1915.

DOT SON

KNEE SAWN (rhymes with dawn)

'Dot-sun' sounds almost so called upper class English eg "I say old chap, lets go for a spin in the Dotsun" :D

Lets not get started on 'Nissan' you crazy Murricans he he, once again, how its spelt. 'Niss' as in piss, kiss 'an' as in can, ban, ran......... :)

The organization now known as Nissan Motor Company began its life as DAT Automobile Manufacturing and until the name was changed relatively recently all cars which came from the factory were known as Datsuns.

No, the 'Datsun' name was mainly applied to exports ( and a few select domestics ), and Nissan Motor Co's history is now several times longer than that of its ancestor D.A.T. Jidosha Seizo.

I have a 1970 Fairlady Z-L, two 1971 Fairlady 240ZGs and a 1971 Skyline GT-R, and none of them came from the factory with the word 'Datsun' anywhere on them. They are all Nissans.

In fact, all of the 'Datsuns' that we discuss on this forum are actually Nissans. Most of them just had 'Datsun' emblems attached to them due to some rather obscure and out of date reasoning that was rooted in the war years.......

No, the 'Datsun' name was mainly applied to exports ( and a few select domestics ), and Nissan Motor Co's history is now several times longer than that of its ancestor D.A.T. Jidosha Seizo.

I have a 1970 Fairlady Z-L, two 1971 Fairlady 240ZGs and a 1971 Skyline GT-R, and none of them came from the factory with the word 'Datsun' anywhere on them. They are all Nissans.

In fact, all of the 'Datsuns' that we discuss on this forum are actually Nissans. Most of them just had 'Datsun' emblems attached to them due to some rather obscure and out of date reasoning that was rooted in the war years.......

This is what I love about you Alan. Always have an abundance of information including the obscure facts and chime in at the right time!!!

Edited by dr_hunt

Well i took japanese as a language at my college, i asked the teacher when i was in class how to pronounce Datsun and Nissan correctly as it was in japan. Its Da-tsu-n, which makes sense when you look at their alphabet. And Nissan is Ni-pause-san, the double ss mean a pause in the hirigana lettering.

Ever since i took that class ive been proudly saying it correctly!