HybridZ

Do you wear gloves when working on the Z?

280Z Turbo

Do you wear gloves when working on the Z?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you wear gloves when working on the Z?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wear a pair of Irwin gloves. I always wore Mechanixwear gloves when I was working in Research and Development for a heavy equipment company building prototypes of large gravel pit machinery. I just found they tore apart way too fast and were almost too thin. (I realise they made them thin on purpose for feel but they didn't last.)

I was later a motorcycle/snowmobile/atv mechanic and continued the trend. When you're working on stuff everyday and you rap the back of your hand off a heavy gauge steel machine when the wrench slips, you learn to appreciate just how much sting a good glove can prevent.

I still get my hands dirty though, I can't stand trying to handle smaller bolts and nuts with gloves on. That's where those nitrile or latex gloves come into play. I guess ideally I should wear a pair of nitrile gloves inside the others just to keep some protection there. The amount of fluids and chemicals that are easily absorbed through the thin skin of the back of your hands is another reason to wear gloves.

For the record, I only got any of the mechanixwear gloves as a gift and only bought the Irwin ones because we sell Irwin at my work. I'm not one to blow money on fancy gloves. Lol!

IRW10503822.jpg

mechanics wear gloves or nitril. Its all you need. I do alot of side mechanic work on motorcycles like i go to there house and fix there bike and i dont always have a place to wash my hands so wearing nitril gloves is where its at for me so i dont have to get in my z and get my steering wheel and shifter all dirty!!!

I guess it depends on the job. I had gotten some really nice gloves from work that allow you to not loose sensitivy in your fingers. If i'm doing a dirty job I will use them.

I hate when i'm working on my Z and my hands are all dirty and greasy and I want to start my car real quick to test whatever i'm working on and I realize that my keys are in my pocket!!

I've been a gloves man for the past several months because I was having to interview for jobs and needed unstained hands and clean fingernails. Now I'm hooked. While you do loose tactile sense and a bit of dexterity, I now have the same philosophy for working on the car as I do riding my motorcycle - soon enough, I won't know how I did without them. Plus, now my hands are softer and cleaner and my wife loves it when I caress her large.... nevermind.

I have a pair of Mechanix gloves that I wear when it's cold (like really cold) out. Otherwise, I just go bare handed. To be honest, I like having grease stained hands after working on my car, but I'm silly like that I guess. :)

I wear:

Nitrile gloves

Mechanixwear gloves

TIG Calfskin gloves

MIG leather gloves

Nomex lined forging gloves

Kevlar gloves

...at various times while working on cars, welding, and being pit crew.

Some tips:

Keep you fingernails cut short.

Keep a small stiff bristle brush for washing the tough stuff off your hands.

Dawn dish soap works amazingly well cleaning grease off your hands.

100% Aloe Vera gel keeps the hands from cracking.

Powdered nitrile gloves are easier to put on when you hands are wet.

Punching a tiny hole in the web between each finger lets you squeeze the sweat out of nitrile gloves.

Always stop when you cut your hand and clean the wound.

New Skin is better for cuts then band-aids.

Drill a tiny hole in your fingernail after you smash it to drain the blood out.

Edited by johnc

i began wearing latex a few years ago then discovered nitrile-like them even better. inexpensive at harbor freight and always have my size. with my desk job, the stained nails, fingertips and generally cut & not kept looking hands were not consistent with the image i guess i'm supposed to project.

plus, cleanup is way easier when i'm not at home and can simply peel the glove and get on my way.

Wish I could get into the habit, but I just can't. I used to wear latex underneath mechanix style gloves, and that worked well. Take off the mechanix for small jobs and still have protection. I ruined two socket wrenches by turning them with my palm and somehow getting the latex wrapped inside the directional mechanism...thing.

I really need to try nitrile, but I never have enough money when I'm at the parts store to get some.