HybridZ

3.2L twin turbo L28 stroker

HOTWYR

Ok so I'm building a 3.2L L28 custom twin turbo for my 240z, for my own reasons its got to be a l28ett so don't try and say about how itd b cheaper to v8 it ok :wink:

so far my research has come up with very little but as a mechanic i have a rough idea on what i need, but i still have some questions about the little things so i don't get caught out and be put 6k out of pocket for something that i don't end up needing.

My overall plan for the motor is:

-P90A head ported and polished

-F54 block stroked

-Megasquirt standalone system

-Greddy turbo's

-LD28 Crank

-Custom forged rods and pistons

I know theres a fair it missing in stuff i need but these are my only prerequisites. I'd like to know about a few things yet such as:

-gearbox, has to take 650hp and a sh**load of torque.

-Better option for the head, i've heard that for modding they aren't the p90 head is better for parts.

-Cams, i am aiming for torque more than hp.

-Flywheel

-anything i've missed ie. rod pins, mounts, twin turbo manifolds, bearings etc.

PRICE IS NOT A PROBLEM! i don't want to take shortcuts and i have a decent income and a lot of time for this build, I want this motor to be reliable too.

any info would be great thanks

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok ill check out the n42 block, that's the type of stuff i wanna know

The reason why i want tt is because i prefer the feel of reliable and constant boost over a single turbo. and the fact that you have alot more range for power without lag than with a single

Hell, we'd all be running around with a 650HP engine if it 'only' cost $6k!! :lmao:

Man, I bought some custom forged rods from PAR and a set of JE forged pistons and that's already $2.5K spent. Engine management and a set of pipes for that twin turbo setup will cost you....well lots! My P90 owes me heaps (lost count) and that's not including all the new valvetrain gear along the way. Then, there's the flywheel/clutch arrangement and the trans, like you've mentioned...maybe a tricked up 3 speed Jatco would be interesting instead of a manual....strip weapon?? I'm using a modified R32 turbo 5 speeder and that was over $1K. Even my Ross harmonic balancer was nearly $500.00, modified for crankfire ignition.

I could go on and on but basically what I'm saying is that I've spent over $10K on my L28ET and haven't even started screwing it together yet. I'm predicting a reasonable 350-400HP.

Good luck with your project.

Oh, and was it for street, track or strip?

Well i don't have a 6k budget i know it wont be that cheap :D

The car is going to be a track/street weapon.

Sounds like you have a good project there pity this type of thing takes so much out of your wallet:shifty:

I'm aiming for a drive line that wont go off if I hammer the car for a full day, so were talking not only a tough gearbox but tail shaft LSD and axles are all going to have to be bullet proof. but the goal of this thread is to find out any helpful hints from people who have don't this thing, i would like a 5 speed gearbox though :rockon:

Again there's no price range because I have time just don't want to take shortcuts and hurt myself in the long run.

Personally speaking, I don't think you need any of the fancy stuff a lot of dudes run on here. The rods are stout in these motors but the rod bolts are not, pistons should be forged but nothing crazy, and use ARP hardware. You can port the head later if you don't have the money.

^ Scratch all of that though since you're not on a budget.

350hp and up will chew up the BW 5 speed so thats a no no. r200, yes, its strong enough. Axles are worth looking into.

Big-Phil had a twin turbo manifold in one of his videos so who knows on that.

However, if I'm to be critical, this almost seems like another one of those what if threads from new posters coming to visit and stir up some imagination. Then again, you are from Australia, who knows what you guys will do next with these cars. Australians are habitual Z-car rapists by nature. :-P

Stock rods smoothed and shot peened should hold up fine.

One cam.

CV shafts upgrade with R200, it you don't have.

Automatic for the strip.

Meth injection and or ceramic coated pistons.

Send head to Braap.

M/T street slicks.

3.2 is very ambitious, may consider bores inspected the way 1fastz dose to fine a good block with thickness to overbore, or get it sleeved.

Wideband o2 with gauge.

Ceramic coat for the win! Its like a condom for heat! And only like $12 per piston. Usually dudes who can ceramic coat them can also do Teflon coating so thats worth looking into for bearings and piston skirts.

If you want to get real nutso then you can ceramic coat everything which is subjected to the heat of combustion so your combustion chambers, exhaust ports. turbo housings and downpipe, intake manifold. All sorts of crazy for a theoretically bottomless wallet!

If you aren't able or willing to part with AT LEAST $6k then you need to re-evaluate your project. I'm not being cynical. I'm building a 2.8 stroker (yep, using a LD28 block and crank, P90a mech head, Isky custom cam/springs, L20b rods and JE 85mm custom pistons). The cost so far has been around $4500. That doesn't include the M62 supercharger ($1200), SDS fuel/ignition system ($1200), custom intake/injectors (+$600) , full stainless header/exhaust ($1400), ad nauseam. I'm not done yet so the final numbers aren't in. Looking back, I would seriously consider a LS1. The ONLY two reasons I chose this path was the challenge and I think the sound of a L6 suits a Z better than a V8.

If your looking for a transmission that can handle the power u car find a 240z racing 5 speed witch is a roadster trans with different gears and a conversion to bolt to the l motors. or u can due a z32 trans from a turbo 300zx mckinney motorsports has a convertion for that but its pricey. I have a roadster trans in my 260z with a l28et it will take a alot of abuse.

If your looking for a transmission that can handle the power u car find a 240z racing 5 speed witch is a roadster trans with different gears and a conversion to bolt to the l motors. or u can due a z32 trans from a turbo 300zx mckinney motorsports has a convertion for that but its pricey. I have a roadster trans in my 260z with a l28et it will take a alot of abuse.

I've always wondered that. Our CVAR race club is diehard on authentic cars and the one competitive Z still gets raped by the porsches for various reasons, one being they have a 5 speed. He's stuck using the stock 4 speed because they say you need a Nissan Competition gearbox if you want to run a 5 speed (because thats the "only" thing they ran during that period). So I always thought get a 5 speed from something older, say a 1969 Roadster 2000, this way you aren't running equipment which wasn't around during the Z racing period. I'm curious if that would pass tech. Also, a stock bellhousing should bolt onto a Roadster 5 speed, then bolt onto an L-Engine I THINK. They did that for 510's.

I don't think they're strong enough though but if you say so then I guess I'm wrong.:hs:

nissan does not sell the parts to convert eny more so finding one can be hard but as long as u get the race gears it will hold i have one but i cant sell it till i get my rb25det swap but if u mark me as a friend or pm me i can keep u in mind when i do sell it.

However, if I'm to be critical, this almost seems like another one of those what if threads from new posters coming to visit and stir up some imagination. Then again, you are from Australia, who knows what you guys will do next with these cars. Australians are habitual Z-car rapists by nature. :-P

Haha i'm not sure whether to be happy with that aussie comment or what but it is true we like our Z's.

If you aren't able or willing to part with AT LEAST $6k then you need to re-evaluate your project.
I think i've already said this but i'll say it again, THERE IS NO LIMIT IN BUDGET, as i have a lot of time and a decent income, I just don't want to take any shortcuts and don't want to put myself out of pocket on anything uneccessary. oh well at least some of yous are listening. :icon56:

Oh and this is not a drag car, its a street/track car. That 5 speed sounds interesting, might be unnecessary if i can get another factory Z gearbox that is tough enough to mate with it, maybe that r200? also anyone heard of the Nissan/Borg Warner T5 5-speed, good for the job or still too pricey and unnecessary when i could get a factory z one?

might also go the r200 lsd, but this is about motor and gearbox so i'll figure that out later :twak:

Thanks for the arp hardware info, see thats what i wanna know, and the ceramic coat info sounds good, could be a good investment for keeping this thing reliable and bullet proof :mrgreen:

keep it coming.:burnout:

sorry just saw your post. This time is more for research than actually getting the parts so don't wait on me to buy it ok. but good luck on the rb swap, i rather an L type though, they sound better:mrgreen:

Edited by HOTWYR
someone else posted

I'll have to agree with sound. I love the rumble and then Scream of a good L28 they seem to just go and go. Love mine especially after the Z31 ECU swap. My 280zxt has never sounded better! in the future I'll deffinately go 3.1L L31t =-) I think around 400hp's is good enough, dont wanna get to squirley!! lol I might like it to much LOL:burnout:

Plus I cant affor tires every weekend LOL:mrgreen:

As far as transmissions goes, I'd start looking into 300ZX trans adapter setups if you want to stick with a manual gearbox.

Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/prod_L-MOTOR++300ZX+TRANS+KIT

Like they said, 3.2L is pretty ambitious. I'd start doing some research on the forums here about sonic testing and N42 vs. F54 blocks. You might have to check a few blocks before you find one with cylinder walls thick enough for the kind of bore you want to achieve, or as woldson pointed out, sleeves.

The path to 3.0 or 3.1 liter turbo is a long one filled with lots of research. I've been gathering parts and reading every resource I can get my hands on for a while now and I don't even own the car my turbo stroker motor is one day going to go into yet.

I have some CV half shafts to suit a R200 if you want to buy them :P Head on over to www.auszcar.com, not quite as much information there, but it still helps. In aussie terms, the way your going, I wouldn't expect you'd get much change from 15k for the engine your thinking of. Head, I'd go a N42, there are lots of those around Australia but it's a lot more difficult to find P90's. Cam's, aiming 650hp, but you want torque? You'll have gobs of it later in the rev range, but you'll need some good cams for that hp which probably wont leave a lot down low. You'll be requiring a custom intake manifold, inter-cooler, piping, exhaust, lines, pumps, injectors, tail shaft, etc, etc. And if your going to such extreme's with twin turbo and stroker, forget the zed boxes, they'll bust constantly, I've bought a RB25 turbo box, Z32 bell housing, and adapter and gone that route, which cost me about 4k(with labour and that's without a good clutch, i'm about to spend 2600 on a new twin plate clutch for my setup) SWM will be the best people to talk to about most things, im pretty sure they've seen most of the stuff your talking about(http://www.swmotorsport.com/). Oh and being that megasquirt is mainly over in the states, trying to find a tuner for it would be difficult, but lets be honest, your wanting to spend all this money on the engine and then go for a budget engine management? Find a good tuner and install what ever management he is best at tuning.

Or, you could get an rb26, and still have a Nissan straight 6, stock twin turbo, and already has gobs of power, more then likely work out cheaper.

From you post, I thinks its obvious you need to read more. Search and good luck.

Where abouts in Australia also? :)

Aaron

The path to 3.0 or 3.1 liter turbo is a long one filled with lots of research. I've been gathering parts and reading every resource I can get my hands on for a while now and I don't even own the car my turbo stroker motor is one day going to go into yet.
Yeah I've read that the best thing to do is research your arse of so absolutely nothing catches you off, again I'm not planning on buying anything just yet so sorry guys no point offering stuff I'm more for opinions.

I'll have to agree with sound. I love the rumble and then Scream of a good L28 they seem to just go and go.
:iagree:

Like they said, 3.2L is pretty ambitious.
As for 3.2 being ambiguous, i figure go hard or go home, I'm planning for a 3.1 setup with the crank burling it up to 3.2 :trippen:but who knows, the base setup should be roughly 300hp+ and a monstrous amount of torque, and i know those arent small numbers:mrgreen:.

when i start of then as the whole cars complete gradually working it up too its limits, were talking the whole driveline will be able to take 650 from the start to save me buying 3 gearboxes along the way :mrgreen:

Oh and im from Victoria up in the hills Aaron, should be in melbourne in a year or two though.

keep it coming guys:worthless: