HybridZ

Can't find a head gasket: engine builders?

Drax240z

OK guys, the story is I put the engine together with a felpro and it leaked before I even started it. I need to line up a replacement before I pull it all apart again. The only one I seem to be able to find is another Felpro, looking for ideas.

Tried the local NAPA (Victor Reinz) and it's NLA

Nissan is 14days + and $129

Placed an order with MSA for a 2mm metal - NLA

All the other stores around here seem to carry felpro and that's it.

To top it off, I have a 87mm bore, some gaskets are a little too tight for my tastes.

Ideas? Anyone know a place with 2mm metal ones in stock?

OK guys, the story is I put the engine together with a felpro and it leaked before I even started it. I need to line up a replacement before I pull it all apart again. The only one I seem to be able to find is another Felpro, looking for ideas.

Tried the local NAPA (Victor Reinz) and it's NLA

Nissan is 14days + and $129

Placed an order with MSA for a 2mm metal - NLA

All the other stores around here seem to carry felpro and that's it.

To top it off, I have a 87mm bore, some gaskets are a little too tight for my tastes.

Ideas? Anyone know a place with 2mm metal ones in stock?

I really don't know anything about your motor :redface:

but my original L28 that was cracked from an overtorqued head bolt started to leak coolant as soon as I filled it up after I put a new headgasket on.

Obviously I hope this isn't the case but how old is your block and what are you using for head bolts?

I really don't know anything about your motor :redface:

but my original L28 that was cracked from an overtorqued head bolt started to leak coolant as soon as I filled it up after I put a new headgasket on.

Obviously I hope this isn't the case but how old is your block and what are you using for head bolts?

Ah, good point. 2850cc, 87mm bore L28, turbo, 75 280z block, P90 head. Custom pistons, 140mm crower rods, knife edged crank. All new ARP head and main studs. Motor has 0 miles on it, was not over torqued, and was magnafluxed before assembly/machining.

Groove is an estimated 0.020" deep by 0.040" wide, with 0.040" wire. I didn't spec this stuff, it came complete on the block I bought. The wire was a PITA to put in, I believe my life will be better without it in place, and use the groove to cause some extra mechanical deformation and improved sealing in the gasket.

I suspected at the time that the installed wire height was higher than it should be above the deck, but being my first experience with O-rings I just went with it. Mistake. Lesson learned.

Get a hold of azcarbum he has a line on all different thickness of head gaskets. I have had no problems with mine how ever his prices will scare you. But the parts are quality.

I think he just sells the Kameari gaskets which you can get in different thicknesses and are super expensive but are one of the only good "performance" head gasket options left.

If someone were able to contract out a company to sell some MLS gaskets for these cars for around $100-150 they would make a killing.

Hi Guys, I have also been looking for a gasket supplier. I think I found one, but I will need to send them my gasket to copy. I need to complete some work on the part before I send it to them. I expect to have a part ready for this place early next week.

So the thinking is to have them make the stock bore dia and possibly an 88mm bore dia.

I will keep you posted on this one. I am not sure of the cost, but they will be cheaper then the gaskets from Kamaraly, however you spell their name.

After all these years does Cometic not make a gasket for the L28 yet? They are one of the leaders in MLS gasket sets. www.cometic.com

They can cut any gasket you want, offer many thicknesses, and the R&D is cheap. I had them cut me a set for an Indy based Buick engine and they gave me a set of gaskets if I sent them a sample gasket to copy and let them keep it.