HybridZ

What should I do about rust on new lash pads?

Zmanco

My new lash pads finally came in and there's a lot of surface rust. I really only care about the "channel" where the rocker will slide and am wondering if it's ok to just install as they are? If it was a bolt I'd use the wire wheel to clean it off, but for a machined surface that doesn't seem like a good idea.

Suggestions?

IMG00004-20090827-1349_1_thumb.jpg

Woah, did you buy them like that? I'd definitely have a talk with whoever sold you those, I would NOT use them in my car, that rust is starting to get into the fine machined surface, you would no longer have a constant contact patch between the rocker or the valve and wear on all three would be accelerated. That's just my opinion though.

I'd get your money back.

Any part like that should be covered in oil when you receive it.

I hear you, but here's the real issue: there is no other source for .160" lash pads, plus I've been waiting for these for almost 4 weeks and am behind on the build. So I'd really prefer to find a way to use them if it can be done reliably.

What do you think about soaking with WD40 and then using some really fine steel wool? It looks to be surface rust only.

Sandblast, or use a steel brush grinder and see how they look when the rust is of. But as others mentioned, the surface must be smooth, so If the surface is rough, you must use some fine paper to smooth things out.

On a side note, I ordered pads directly from Nissan motorsports, and they were very quick to ship out some excellent looking pads..

I have lash pads in my tool box that are over 20 years old and have no rust on them.

Could your lash pads be an aftermarket part made with inferior metal???

I would question the supplier.

Were they new, or well used out of an engine?

Thank goodness for that oil flim "slug" on some of my parts crying to be used...

• 2 months later...

They all come like that now. These parts have been sitting on warehouse shelves for eons now. Rust is almost invariably there. I've ordered many sets from Nissan in the past and they're almost always rusty. I just hit them with a wire wheel on my bench grinder and they cleaned up quite nicely. Oiled them down, installed them and have been doing fine for quite some time on several motors.

Make sure you test the wipe pattern after the install because they probably are thinner than they were originally, after you take off the rust.

In my case the rust was really just on the surface. They still measured 0.160" after cleaning with 0000 steel wool.

In hind sight I was probably more concerned when I started this thread than I needed to be. But I had ordered some a year before from Nismo and they were in perfect condition so thought something was wrong this time.