HybridZ

Anyone running 17x9 rear wheels with stock wells on 280z?

I think the short answer is no. The only cars that I know of that have that size have shortened their rear springs to 8" in order to raise the lower perch above the tire and have rolled or cut their fenders. Here's a thread of someone running 17x9 in the rear:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=119352

I think the biggest without modifying the fenders is 17x8.5 - if your lucky and have the backspacing just right.

Ok if I roll my rear fenders would they come closer to fitting?
Yes, but you still may need to change to shorter springs. A big factor will be the tires you ultimately select. Tire widths will vary even though the listed size may be the same.

Hmm, contemplated similar questions myself. I'm looking to run the AZC coilovers, and try and stuff 17x9s up front, and something like 17x10.5-11.5 out back. I'm aware of fender rolling and ZG/IMSA/tack-on flares, but has anyone been able to get decent results with fender pulling/sheetmetal manipulation?

You'll never fit 10.5" let alone 11.5" wheels in the back without flares, the 15x8 205/60/15 I had didn't even clear with as much of a pull as I could get without it looking like a hack job. They were still almost a 1/2 inch too wide.

I "suppose" with a better offset you could maybe fit 8.5" with a quality pull but at what cost? I'd rather flare the car to fit those wheels cleanly than make it look like a tire blew out inside the fender well and have it look like crap.

no idea about 17x9 but my old 240z had 16x9 on stock fenders with just rolled rear lips I was running a 225/45/16. I did post a pic in the Wheel Show?: Thread almost 2 years ago now. And FYI my 240z did not have coilovers or 8" springs just the stock 240z rear setup just with lower aftermarket springs and koni red inserts.

I have 17x8 and its already a VERYT tight fit with stock spring perches and without any quarter panel lip rolling/cutting. Click on the picture in my sig to see more pics of the fitment.(its my build thread but there are tons of pics towards the end)

17x9 might just barely fit with coilovers and a rolled/cut lip though. I probably wouldn't try and fit much larger than a 255 though.

I have a friend with a set of 17x9 wheels in the same style wheel that i have now, I'll try and see if i can get him to drop by over the next weekend and swap them out to snap some pics and really show the clearance issues. I'm kind of curious myself.

I think the post by Challenger shows that 17X9 -13 will not work without fender flares. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that you couldn't get 17x9 to fit with the proper offset and a little bit of work. The 17x9 -13's were meant for people that wanted flares and didn't want coilovers, so there probably quite a bit of room on the inner sides.

So I'm not a big tire guy don't know alot about what all the terms mean i understand most of it though, but 17x9 with -13 offset all the way around would fit on the stock suspension? I would be putting ZG flares anyways but my question is would it clear totally stock suspension.

i want to buy the rota 17x9 -13 i would roll the fenders and buy what ever else i need but i dont want flares i want that stuffed look does any body have a pic of the rota 17x9-13 all around with no flares or any 17x9 pic with out flares

If you really want to force the idea, only option would be running extreme negative camber. Of course this isn't a good option unless it's a VIP car with bags.