HybridZ

I've done a horrible thing.... I've driven a Mercedes. Can I be forgiven?

MAG58

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the 1999 AMG C43 (W202)? It’s a V8 and may be early enough to avoid significant Chrysler influence. Many C43s are selling or below $10K now; some well below.

In fact, I’m surprised that so few folks on HybridZ own AMG’s. Is it the lack of appeal of a “factory†hot rod, when one can build a better/cheaper one by oneself? AMGs are overpriced when new, but depreciate remarkably quickly. They lost half of their value by age 4.

My daily driver is a BMW 325is (E36), but at the risk of being branded a heretic here, I must admit that I’ve never particularly cared for inline-6 engines. They just seem long, ungainly and heavy. But having driven comparable BMWs and Mercedes back to back, my impression is that BMW emphasizes higher-rpm horsepower whereas Mercedes is more about low-end torque… which is my preference too. Thus the interest in the Mercedes.

So how about the C-class AMGs, especially the C43? Reliability issues, in particular?

Now that my Z is running great again... and the exhaust is all fixed up... I think i want to sell it to get a nice E class. I found a 99 e320 for 7k... and only 125k on the odo.

I know its blasphemy. but they are really nice. though my woman would kill me if i bought a benz. She somehow thinks that since I destroyed my back working for Mercedes, that they are inherently evil vehicles.

But the ride is sooo nice. and the seats are great, and the stereos are good... And still rwd... and they are super easy to work on (at least any one i would buy) .

Oh well. Who wants to give me 10k for a decent 355z?

Joe

I had a W126 (1987 420SEL) that was a great highway car. Drove it to race tracks around the country when I was crewing with an ALMS/Grand Am team. 100mph was all day easy and the cops never gave it a second look. I'm still tempted to get a 1991 350SDL, pull the diesel engine and put a 502 Chevy in the car. I saw one in Georgia that had the 502 in front of a 4L80E trans with the stock Mercedes limited slip diff. It hauled ass!

I realize this is an old post, but what ALMS/Grand Am team did you crew for?

How about the 1999 AMG C43 (W202)? It’s a V8 and may be early enough to avoid significant Chrysler influence. Many C43s are selling or below $10K now; some well below.

In fact, I’m surprised that so few folks on HybridZ own AMG’s. Is it the lack of appeal of a “factory” hot rod, when one can build a better/cheaper one by oneself? AMGs are overpriced when new, but depreciate remarkably quickly. They lost half of their value by age 4.

My daily driver is a BMW 325is (E36), but at the risk of being branded a heretic here, I must admit that I’ve never particularly cared for inline-6 engines. They just seem long, ungainly and heavy. But having driven comparable BMWs and Mercedes back to back, my impression is that BMW emphasizes higher-rpm horsepower whereas Mercedes is more about low-end torque… which is my preference too. Thus the interest in the Mercedes.

So how about the C-class AMGs, especially the C43? Reliability issues, in particular?

Nah, the M113 isn't exactly a rocket ship, but it's got some pretty good push behind it and for 4.3L it will pretty much unhinge the earth from its axis down low. You're correct in your assessment that most MB engines are built for more torque down low, it's why all the TT V12's from all the MB tuners may make 'only' 700ish hp give or take but have to be limited as the torque approaches semi-truck diesel levels.

It's a good car though and as long as you find someone that has kept good care of it you should see lots of good miles out of it. The W202 platform is a carryover from the old non-chrysler days so It's still holding on for dear life.

• 4 weeks later...
I realize this is an old post, but what ALMS/Grand Am team did you crew for?

Sorry, I missed this. Champion Motorsports and Sportsfeed/EMI Racing. Champion ran a Viper GTS-R in ALMS and Sportsfeed ran a Viper GTS in Grand Am. 2000 and 2001 seasons.

• 4 months later...

Wow. Well it's nice to be finally done with the MCAT! Maybe I can start tinkering with my Z again. In the meantime, I've come to the realization that I'm going to need something like a DD so I can play...

That said, my 1993 190E Sportline in the oddball color of Signal Red/Cream Interior (not the 90's hideous tan)

DSCN8552.jpg

DSCN8553.jpg

DSCN8554.jpg

DSCN8554.jpg

I've already 86ed the gaudy chrome wheels and the things in the air right now because apparently "since it's a Merc", the only thing done to it in 180k on the clock was change the oil, and that's iffy. After this weekend it'll have all new bushings/ball-joints and I just got all my clutch stuff in so I can toss in my 300E 5 speed. Do I ever hate slush-boxes. It wouldn't be as bad if this one wasn't toast and instead of changing it the cheap PO just tightened the TV cable and ramped up the line pressure.... :blink:

Unfortunately, I have caught myself in a bit of a conundrum. I like where the Z's at, and at about the same physical dimensions (weight included) as a 280ZX 2+2, I kinda want to see what she'll do. Thoughts?

Before you write this car off as an ostentatious fat taxi, you should seriously consider spending some seat time in one. Even for a stock sportline, I was very pleasantly surprised how well it handles.... I'd really like to know how it's going to do without a half inch of slop in the steering links :huh:

Wow. Well it's nice to be finally done with the MCAT! Maybe I can start tinkering with my Z again. In the meantime, I've come to the realization that I'm going to need something like a DD so I can play...

That said, my 1993 190E Sportline in the oddball color of Signal Red/Cream Interior (not the 90's hideous tan)

I've already 86ed the gaudy chrome wheels and the things in the air right now because apparently "since it's a Merc", the only thing done to it in 180k on the clock was change the oil, and that's iffy. After this weekend it'll have all new bushings/ball-joints and I just got all my clutch stuff in so I can toss in my 300E 5 speed. Do I ever hate slush-boxes. It wouldn't be as bad if this one wasn't toast and instead of changing it the cheap PO just tightened the TV cable and ramped up the line pressure.... :blink:

Unfortunately, I have caught myself in a bit of a conundrum. I like where the Z's at, and at about the same physical dimensions (weight included) as a 280ZX 2+2, I kinda want to see what she'll do. Thoughts?

Before you write this car off as an ostentatious fat taxi, you should seriously consider spending some seat time in one. Even for a stock sportline, I was very pleasantly surprised how well it handles.... I'd really like to know how it's going to do without a half inch of slop in the steering links :huh:

Bob..I did not realize the W124s 300E in the US came with a 5 speed? Very coool..does the pedal box and all the hydraulics bolt into the 190E chassis..also does the bell housing simply bolt onto the 190E block? I love your 190E..very cool and love those seats and the color.

I recently got my W211 E55 back from Kleeman...599wheel torque! It is nasty.

I got to ride in this car last weekend, it was actually the parts taxi for when my Z ate a U-Joint :)

Why does this thing not have a HX40 and MegaSkeet3 yet?

Looking forward to the coming changes. I don't really mind those 'chrome' wheels, I think they look okay.

Edited by flatblack280

W124's only came as a 5 speed for the 300E in 1986 and 1988 in the US. In Europe they were very plentiful throughout the 85-96 range of the 300/320E , even with the M104 motors.

I have the 717.432 5 speed box with a 190E pedalbox, which is bolt in. Aside from the box, clutch, and pedals, a manual front drive shaft and x-member has you out of the misery of the slushbox.

I don't have anything too cool for it, but I am modifying the ASD system, which is a hydraulically locking rear diff originally run through the ABS System in ECE cars. With any luck I'll have a cabin adjustable lockup on the fly with the clutch LSD out back.

But for right now it has the most terrifying thing I've ever seen in my life, Bosch Electronic Constant Injection System (CIS-E). Priority 1 is throwing it away for EFI. I may add a camshaft and 600cc's of displacement while I'm at it....

Look at it, it's horrifying! :blink:

DSCN8645.jpg

W124's only came as a 5 speed for the 300E in 1986 and 1988 in the US. In Europe they were very plentiful throughout the 85-96 range of the 300/320E , even with the M104 motors.

I have the 717.432 5 speed box with a 190E pedalbox, which is bolt in. Aside from the box, clutch, and pedals, a manual front drive shaft and x-member has you out of the misery of the slushbox.

Look at it, it's horrifying! :blink:

DSCN8645.jpg

Thanks for the info..yes that CIS is horrifying!