HybridZ

Golf Ball Dimples on MythBusters = Greater MPG

Did anyone watch MythBusters on Discovery last night?!

They covered a car in clay and made dimples on the car like a golf ball.. and there was a 11% increase i believe in fuel economy...

They were joking saying Nascar will now have golf ball shaped cars...

then I started wondering...

Golf balls have been around for how many years?!

Aircraft and Formula One and Nascar teams have all played with vortex generators... but why not shaping the whole body like a golf ball?!

I mean the mythbusters test showed there was a dramatic increase in the reduction of drag?!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sphere shape of a golf ball does not make it aerodynamic. The sphere is a poor aero shape. The dimples decrease the drag by reducing the separation "wake" area behind the ball. Besides, people already have trouble driving. Imagine if they were hooking and slicing all over the road too!! Yikes.

golf_ball_dimples.png

As I understand it:

The dimples cause the boundry air to stagnate "stick to the ball". The moving air slides better over the trapped "air skin" and it also "sticks" to the boundry layer, causing it to follow the contour, leading to a smaller wake zone.

Does this serve the same function as the desired slightly rough finish when porting cylinder heads or am I completely off base?

More or less. It's the same concept, you want to keep the boundary layer adhered to the port which it cannot do as well if the port is smooth as glass.

There is a company that actually makes a vinyl sticker type material that has this dimple effect. I saw it on discovery I think the other day, its a much more subtle effect. Kinda weird looking but same idea. It seems to have small but noticeable gains, most were using it on top speed vehicles.

http://fastskinz.blogspot.com/

...Besides, people already have trouble driving. Imagine if they were hooking and slicing all over the road too!! Yikes.

lol - I saw this and was amazed - i understand the effect of the dimples, but am still having a hard time understanding the why - they said several time in the episode that they had explained that, but man i DVRd it and rewound several times... and no real explanation.

Val