HybridZ

My latest project...a new Z!!

cygnusx1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm how about some rod ends for your linkages. I seemed to have stumbled on a set in my garage..Not sure if they are left AND rights though.

Make your own linkage. I've seen some nice custom setups over the years. I had mine modified with return springs on the bell cranks to reduce the stresses on the linkages.

BTW it also kept them sealed up nicely for an even idle, and gave enough peddle feel to dial in subtle throttle transitions on corner exits.

Congrats on the project!

Hmm how about some rod ends for your linkages. I seemed to have stumbled on a set in my garage..Not sure if they are left AND rights though.

Make your own linkage. I've seen some nice custom setups over the years. I had mine modified with return springs on the bell cranks to reduce the stresses on the linkages.

BTW it also kept them sealed up nicely for an even idle, and gave enough peddle feel to dial in subtle throttle transitions on corner exits.

Congrats on the project!

Sure shoot me some pics of what you can find! That would be very helpful. I intend to make my own billet drop-arms but I still need good links and balls down to the carbs. :)

The ones on the carbs now are all sloppy.

The linkage on that manifold consisted of some drill rod (appropriate diameter, 8 or 10 mm I believe), three heim joints (Same hole diameter, with threads to mactch manifold) and jamb nuts, two stop collars (one with a hole for provisioning a return spring on it), and a few bellcranks for the rods to attach to...

And cable throttle with quadrant is my preferred way of setting up the rod.

Looks like you got a downrod in the 'one of these things is not like the others' catagory. All that stuff is available new TWM or any number of places sells linkage bits.

Thanks Tony. I will check TWM. I tried the usual McMaster but they charge ridiculous prices for these things. My next guess was giant scale RC planes where nice links were available for ridiculous prices again. I may just hack out some aluminium downlinks as well. They don't need to be adjustable if the upper links can be clocked with a set screw clamp arrangement. I can just make a solid link with shoulder bolts on either end.

Of all the car stuff I have done in my life, bodywork is the one thing I never invested any time into. I really don't have the sculptors hands. However I do know how to hold a can of spray paint.

The paint in this car is OK but it is flaking in the engine bay. I posted another thread about it. I was going to strip it off and repaint it. I decided to get the loose stuff off, and spray-can it as a temporary fix. So I got online, researched the color. I was told it was an 80's Ford Red#24. After some research I found out it was 87 Ford Medium Merlot #2H. I found someone to mix me up a rattle can of #2H. So tonight I decided to sand one of the areas that had chipped. Then I primed it with a high build from a rattle-can. An then came my first time ever....painting a car...albeit with a rattle-can.

I was floored. It came out MUCH better than I had expected. My goal was to get a decent coat of paint over the bare metal to keep it from rusting until a real paint job comes along. I think I got much more than that for about $25 worth of supplies.

717843888_ZUq5q-M.jpg

724797757_joStt-M.jpg

I am even more excited about this build, since I discovered I can actually make this car look really nice with only a little bit of touching up. :icon44:

• 3 weeks later...

A few updates. Front end is all done. Rear end is all out and getting washed and painted with new struts springs, bushings and seals just for good measure. I mocked up the interior. I should have the rear end all freshened up and installed within the next week or two. Once the rear is in, I will work on completing the interior and going over all the HVAC stuff. Then I will bleed the brakes and put her on the Panasports. Once on the ground and rolling again, I will begin the refresh of the L28. 2 more months ETA.

The fresh canvas

731154311_p4jaH-XL.jpg

731709184_LgEXR-XL.jpg

731708266_e2kXE-XL.jpg

731709355_5GdYo-XL.jpg

734999204_8MgrN-XL.jpg

• 1 month later...

Did a little more work....

BTW Long handled barbecue brushes from the dollar store, with the scraper blade on the end and the brass bristles, are AWESOME for scrubbing and scraping the dark side.

753265205_UagTK-XL.jpg

759208744_sQQVj-XL.jpg

779598712_SFeSL-XL.jpg

779599510_mW4TH-XL.jpg

23 years of paint oxidation partially removed from a fender with a quick wax/cleaner.

779035643_2wLAw-XL.jpg