HybridZ

Science related fun facts related to common stuff

woldson

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonas Salk made the vaccine but I don't know who the cels came from. I learn a lot in school, I'm in all honors and Advance Placement classes.

Technically the first vaccine wasn't a vaccine, it was called virulation. It basically consisted of taking a bit of pus from a small-pox infected person and putting it in an open wound. It would give you a lesser form of the disease that would hopefully still allow you to survive (survival rate was 98-99%).

Until the ability to culture cells (which came later) was practiced, they practiced a technique called attenuation which involved taking a live disease and passaging it through animals (in the case of rabies, the strain was taken from cow's brain and passaged through rabbits) until the strain became attenuated, or non infected. They then took this attenuated, or avirulent strain, and used it as the vaccination so the immune system could build a defense for it.

Dang I didn't know all of that guess I learn something new everyday. Maybe that will help in class someday. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Tell your teacher that the H and N numbers in flu are the Hemagglutin and Nuramindase variants (16 H variants and 9 N variants iirc) and they have different Red blood cell clumping (the H protien) and viral fusion sights (the N and H proteins form a fusion peptide that binds to different receptors on epithelial cells and attract different antibodies, which is why you have to get a shot every year).

And the most deadly flu isn't H1N1 spanish flu of 1918, it's the H5N1 avian flu. H1N1 had a death rate of something like 4 percent in 1918. In today's medicine, H5N1 has a death rate of over 50%.

He'll either love you or be jealous you know more about flu and vaccines than he/she does ;)

HAHA ok, one question, how do you know all of this????

My major is Microbiology, I work in a virology lab, and I'm a chem minor. I'm going to go to med-school one day god willing.

Lemmie know if you need help with your homework. I'll let you in on the secret that most Chemistry in High School is fudged a bit by the books because they don't want to teach you everything you need to know, just have you memorize everything.

Yep. Just had to derive how much energy can be produced from redox reactions of various electron donors and acceptors in a electron transport chain by deriving half reactions based on electron travel. PM Me and I'll get you straightened out.

Enough chem stuff, how about some mechanics.

There are 2 identical parts, one made from alloy steel, one from titanium. Which is stronger?

On average, most steel alloys are significantly stronger than titanium, of course you can compare annealed mild steel to high grade heat treated Ti, but lets be reasonable here. This might be known around here, but a lot of people think otherwise.

Ahh, but pound for pound, what is stronger, wood or any other man-made material?

Also, what is the most abundant element in the universe?

Mags, I always had a fancy for bio, your reads are waaayyyyy coool!

One thing I learned in bio that stuck really good, penicillin was discovered by accident.

Petri dish/open window and the rest is history. (Please correct if in error)

These are things that have caught my fancy over the years, I'm doing old school and telling what I know without verifying (no internet for most of my life)