HybridZ

18inc rims

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ive seen a few people pull it off (several of them in this thread) but it seems that the magic that makes them work is a body kit that includes a set of side skirts. In my opinion 18's just look wrong on a car without skirts.

Ive seen a few people pull it off (several of them in this thread) but it seems that the magic that makes them work is a body kit that includes a set of side skirts. In my opinion 18's just look wrong on a car without skirts.

That's just because the car sits to high.

You can "slam" a car further to the ground with smaller rims like 16's and no sideskirts. Me personally I like my rims 18" or 19" More room for brakes...

But what ibang was saying... If you have side skirts you dont have to drop the car as far to make it look slammed. The extra couple of inches a side skirt gives you can allow you to fit a bigger rim..

2s82y55.jpg

These are 19's on a z...

You can "slam" a car further to the ground with smaller rims like 16's and no sideskirts. Me personally I like my rims 18" or 19" More room for brakes...

I've got 15" rims that clear the 12.2" Arizona Z style Wilwoods. If you go with 13" brakes like MM offers, I think 16s fit, for sure a 17 would have those covered. "Big" brakes do not require rims that large.

I've got 15" rims that clear the 12.2" Arizona Z style Wilwoods. If you go with 13" brakes like MM offers, I think 16s fit, for sure a 17 would have those covered. "Big" brakes do not require rims that large.

But, the 19" rims still complement the ultra-lightened flywheel on the engine.... Right?? :rolleyes:

... If you have side skirts you dont have to drop the car as far to make it look slammed. The extra couple of inches a side skirt gives you can allow you to fit a bigger rim...

Side skirts don't give you any extra inches at all. The bottom of the side skirt is at the same level as the bottom of the stock sill; although I'll admit it may make the car appear to be lower. For the most part you can make the car just as low with 18s as 16s or 17s, the real issue is the overall diameter with the tire installed. As was stated you don't really need this size for brake clearance either. It just boils down to personal preferences and tire availability. It's getting harder and harder to find good performance tires for smaller rims.

i also think that 18s/19s would look too big/off balance on a car with stock body (ie no air dam, no sideskirts etc). Personally the biggest I would go would be 16s, and just get a wide rim. You can pull it off, you just need other body parts or the car will look skinny with big rims imo.

You are looking at it wrong, lowering the car isn't for looks. Lowering the car is for performance gains. This is hybridz.org Engineered to be feared! not coolguywithaz.com Engineered to look bad ***. Just sayin :D

You are looking at it wrong, lowering the car isn't for looks. Lowering the car is for performance gains. This is hybridz.org Engineered to be feared! not coolguywithaz.com Engineered to look bad ***. Just sayin :D

I think you're looking at it wrong. Lower a Z too far and all sorts of crazy crap starts happening to the suspension. Roll centers underground, bumpsteer off the charts, etc. Take a look at some of the stuff that people here have done to fix those issues. Blueovalz's car comes to mind, with his extended length rear struts that were made to get the rear roll center above ground, because his 17's didn't look right until the car was so low that the roll center was well underground. My car would be another example, with slotted crossmember and TC rod pivots so that I can tune out bumpsteer, raise the roll center and get rid of whatever pro-dive might be incurred by running the TC rods at the stock pivot point with the car really low. There's a LOT more to it than just "Lowering the car is for performance gains."

Edited by JMortensen

Sorry I worded that all wrong. That's what I was trying to say, if you just slam your car your just making it handle like crap. To get a true suspension setup you have to put the car on scales and everything and adjust accordingly. I remember seeing it done at Richard Petty Driving Experience but I was to young to understand it. What I meant was there is no reason to just slam a car to look cool. You should set your height accordingly to what preforms the best for whatever sort of driving you are doing. If that be daily, road racing, drifting, auto cross, or whatever you may do, ice racing for all I care, that's what you lower/raise a car for, and yes there is lots more than just height to change handling but height is one of them.

unless you have a race prepped car or a die hard track car, if all you worry about is your cars performance than you will have a nice car, but in the end there is absolutely no reason why you cant have a nice balance of form and function, and if you slam your car right with the correct set-ups and modifications it will handle great. Dont automatically asume that it will handle crappy. and disregard 90% of the things the NasDumb school taught you.

anyway, In my not so experienced or humble opinion very few z cars can pull off anything larger than 17's.