HybridZ

Added 6 More injectors...

TimZ

Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of one of my winter projects - I've modified my Mikuni Manifold to accomodate another 6 injectors. This was a pretty tight fit, but the end result is looking pretty good. This will allow me to run 32lb primary injects and then use the 150lb-ers as secondaries. I should be able to get much better drivability this way...

12inj-2.jpg

12inj-3.jpg

12inj-6.jpg

12inj-9.jpg

Common Fuel Rail? I would have thought those baby 32's would get you on-boost, and then the honkers would open up and run with the Methanol from a separate cell... ;)

I'm currently using this pump:

http://www.fuelab.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=5&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=3

170gph :blink: , and still has really high flow even at high pressure ...Should be more than I'll ever need :mrgreen:

Tony - come on now, you know I'm running E85 :mrgreen: - no need (or desire) for a secondary fuel supply.

I did debate whether or not to run them in series like that, though. Series was desirable just for the really clean plumbing, and I'm reasoning that it won't make any difference at all when I'm on the 32's, and when the 150's kick in their flow will dominate and any pressure drop to the 32's will result in an insignificant flow reduction overall. Plus the big-assed pump is so over capacity that I'll never get to the point where its not keeping up with demand, so there will always be fuel flowing all the way through the rail.

Very interesting and nicely done. What fuel injection system do you use? What is the third rail for? Coolant? Something else?

Thanks!

I use an Electromotive TEC3r, and the third rail is a vacuum summing log to give the MAP sensor a more stable reference.

• 1 year later...

I'm currently using this pump:

http://www.fuelab.co...uemart&Itemid=3

170gph :blink: , and still has really high flow even at high pressure ...Should be more than I'll ever need :mrgreen:

Tim, I'm thinking about picking up one of those 42401 pumps. Did you get their filter also? Is $571.40 about the going rate on that pump, or can you reveal where (if) you got it cheaper, pleeze.... icon_mrgreen.gif

Tim, I'm thinking about picking up one of those 42401 pumps. Did you get their filter also? Is $571.40 about the going rate on that pump, or can you reveal where (if) you got it cheaper, pleeze.... icon_mrgreen.gif

Hi Joel - That appears to be the list price - I bought mine here for less than that.

Hold off a few days on ordering the 42401 - I've been experiencing what appears to be a flow problem with my pump since I took the car out of storage this spring. The pump is at Fuelab being diagnosed now, so I'd prefer to hold off on a full recommendation until I see how well they take care of me...

Edited by TimZ

I'll do that Tim. Thanks!

Hi Joel - That appears to be the list price - I bought mine here for less than that.

Hold off a few days on ordering the 42401 - I've been experiencing what appears to be a flow problem with my pump since I took the car out of storage this spring. The pump is at Fuelab being diagnosed now, so I'd prefer to hold off on a full recommendation until I see how well they take care of me...

Update - I talked with Fuelab yesteday, and they found the problem - cavitation damage to the pump impeller that reduced its flow/pressure capability. They did in fact fix and re-flow test it free of charge, even though they could have claimed improper install if they had wanted to be jerks about it. I didn't even have to make a stink about it.

Their ratings appear to be conservative, btw - the pump is now flowing over 200gph at 45psi. :blink:

So I do give them my endorsement. :mrgreen:

This does point out an important point though - this is a really high flow pump! I was using a pair of -8 lines y'ed into their 828 Series -10 75-micron screen pre-filter. This was fed from a modified stock tank with a pair of 1/2"NPT rear sump pickups. I was using 3000 series JiffyTite quick release fittings on each of the two -8 lines for serviceability. I did check and both -8 tank ports appear to flow just fine. And this was still too restrictive for this pump. I'm going to be changing to a pair of -10s directly to the pre-filter and hopefully this will be okay.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I probably went a bit too far on the overkill side with this pump. If you are not going to run over ~1000hp, you might want to go down a size (or two) from this pump and not have to worry as much about this stuff. Probably a 41401 (or a 41402 if you plan to run E85) would be plenty. And less money too!

Edited by TimZ

Update - I talked with Fuelab yesteday, and they found the problem - cavitation damage to the pump impeller that reduced its flow/pressure capability. They did in fact fix and re-flow test it free of charge, even though they could have claimed improper install if they had wanted to be jerks about it. I didn't even have to make a stink about it.

Their ratings appear to be conservative, btw - the pump is now flowing over 200gph at 45psi. :blink:

So I do give them my endorsement. :mrgreen:

This does point out an important point though - this is a really high flow pump! I was using a pair of -8 lines y'ed into their 828 Series -10 75-micron screen pre-filter. This was fed from a modified stock tank with a pair of 1/2"NPT rear sump pickups. I was using 3000 series JiffyTite quick release fittings on each of the two -8 lines for serviceability. I did check and both -8 tank ports appear to flow just fine. And this was still too restrictive for this pump. I'm going to be changing to a pair of -10s directly to the pre-filter and hopefully this will be okay.

I'm coming to the conclusion that I probably went a bit too far on the overkill side with this pump. If you are not going to run over ~1000hp, you might want to go down a size (or two) from this pump and not have to worry as much about this stuff. Probably a 41401 (or a 41402 if you plan to run E85) would be plenty. And less money too!

I am currently installing an Aeromotive A1000 in my S30. I knew it was too much pump when I installed it but I figured it was better to have too much than not enough. If I were to do it again I'd go with a smaller pump.

Aeromotive requires a minimum of 1/2 inch ID all the way from pump to injectors and regulator. Knowing this and the fact that the pump fittings are -10, I am installing 5/8" x .035 wall tube.

What I didn't consider were the fitting IDs. I found out the hard way that all Earl's -10 fittings are <.5" ID. I noticed that Aeromotive refers to their fittings as "high flow." At first I thought it was marketing hype but I ordered a few anyway. To my surprise, they all measured slightly greater than .5" and appear to have smoother transitions.

Now I'm in the process of replacing some of my Earl's fitting with Aeromotive. The intake side is of particular concern. The problem is, Aeromotive doesn't make a -10 to 3/4 NPT (don't ask!) that I need to attach to my tank pick-up. I'll probably end up drilling out the fitting to >.5" ID.

So, lesson learned is to consider the fittings when designing your fuel system.

Tim - Theoretically you should have enough flow with two -8 lines (~.375" ID) to one -10 (~.5" ID) on the pump. I suspect that those Jiffy-Tite fittings are a restriction. Might what to check them out.

Edited by rossman

Tim - Theoretically you should have enough flow with two -8 lines (~.375" ID) to one -10 (~.5" ID) on the pump. I suspect that those Jiffy-Tite fittings are a restriction. Might what to check them out.

That's my suspicion too. The -10 lines will go directly from the tank to the Y at the pre filter - no quick disconects this time :( .

"cavitation damage to the pump impeller that reduced its flow/pressure capability"

Remember people poo-poohing my comments about fuel pump flash-cavitation at elevated temperatures?

It won't help you when it's cold out, but a functioning EVAP system (even the 240 with it's diverter valve) will hold a few inches water static pressure in the tank (if all the hoses are sealed)---doing a little toying with that spring would allow a bit more NPSH at the pump inlet without the need for the larger lines. And with Alcohol's vapor pressure, you could probably get a nice boost in inlet pressure to prevent it from happening again Tim.

Or did you "remove all that emissions garbage"... :nono::P

:wink:

"cavitation damage to the pump impeller that reduced its flow/pressure capability"

Remember people poo-poohing my comments about fuel pump flash-cavitation at elevated temperatures?

I didn't do that did I?

I have to admit, I was pretty sure you'd chime in when i posted this. :mrgreen:

It won't help you when it's cold out, but a functioning EVAP system (even the 240 with it's diverter valve) will hold a few inches water static pressure in the tank (if all the hoses are sealed)---doing a little toying with that spring would allow a bit more NPSH at the pump inlet without the need for the larger lines. And with Alcohol's vapor pressure, you could probably get a nice boost in inlet pressure to prevent it from happening again Tim.

Or did you "remove all that emissions garbage"... :nono::P

:wink:

Ahem... I would never do that - that would be wrong! :mrgreen:

I did have a check valve and filter on the vent line intended to prevent a vacuum and encourage positive pressure in the tank and it appeared to be working - at least when I opened the gas cap it would release pressure from the tank. I thought about running a boost line to the vent for about two seconds, but I suspect that would be a bit much...

I saw a post you made a while back that mentioned using a small cooler on the return line to keep the fuel temperatures down which looked like an interesting idea. Just have to find something compatible with e85...

Edited by TimZ