HybridZ

RB26 240Z STOLEN IN LAKEWOOD CA

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Broke the center console in half for some reason, tore out the whole center dash panel (apparently I did a pretty good job securing the stereo deck), both seats seem to be stuck in full recline and I couldn't even get the driver seat to lock in place so it was interesting driving home (lever is broken off like arnold schwarzenegger had been there). It didn't run very well (kept wanting to die and then continued to hunt for idle nonstop), I think they first ripped out some ecu wires thinking it was the alarm. Really hard to shift, couldn't even get into reverse (I guess they aren't too familiar with a stick). This is probably the strangest part, they stole my shifter knob. Didn't take the autometer gauges, but that homemade pool ball shifter knob I got for 2 bucks on ebay and it probably doesn't even fit any other vehicle, that they just had to have. They also ripped out the tail light wiring while getting at the speakers, there's just a mess of wires everywhere. The hazards relay clicks like it is on steroids for some reason. I'm not sure how they got in but the first thing was obviously to pop the hood and yank the wire going to the horn. I really need to get it locked down this time.

Anyway the allstate inspector is coming tomorrow afternoon to asses the damage, my plan covers repairs at a shop of my choosing but I don't know if there's a limit to the amount. If there is, I think a trans rebuild would probably take the cake.

Broke the center console in half for some reason

Really hard to shift, couldn't even get into reverse (I guess they aren't too familiar with a stick). This is probably the strangest part, they stole my shifter knob. Didn't take the autometer gauges, but that homemade pool ball shifter knob I got for 2 bucks on ebay and it probably doesn't even fit any other vehicle, that they just had to have.

Keep in mind you're dealing with thieves here. They're not very bright to begin with ;)

Anyway, glad you got it back pretty intact. How'd you find it? Know what you are doing to secure it better?

That sucks, I saw the console was broke. The wiring is gonna be a pain to get back all good. Hopefully they didn't tear the engine up and it is just ecu stuff. Can't believe they ripped the light harnesses! Where did they get food? Was it at least a decent place?

Yeah I thought the lady meant they stole the tail lights themselves and was like ah, of course they found the one valuable trim piece, but no!

I have several ideas on locking it down, but at this point I think it's best kept a secret.

Perhaps allstate will fund me the whole amount for what a shop estimates and I can fix it myself, using the labor fee to upgrade it a little as I go. I was planning on redoing all the interior wiring some day anyhow. That said, I'm not getting reimbursed for the sub, ipod, or amp--their real gem--I bet they **** bricks when they struck that gold mine.

Wow, they obviously weren't the brightest thieves. Where did they eat, maybe the place they went to has some security tapes you can go check out. Definitely give the car a good look over for anything they might have left behind. I'd love to see those numb nuts get caught. But at least there isn't significant damage to the car. Make sure you before you go back on the road to make it as secure as possible. I'd even go as far as a hidden camera in the front somewhere haha.

Anyone local have a good shop I should take it to? They gave me an inspection checklist and I want to make sure I take it somewhere that is going to be able to fix any engine or transmission problems.

Try Sunrise Z in Glendale.

Man, that is GREAT NEWS!

I've been in transit from OZ, nice to see a decent ending.

I will second that comment about Renter's or Household Insurance.

If you don't have it, you should!

One thing I always used to do was pull my fuel pump relay out when I parked the car. Put it in the compartment behind the seats (glove box would work as well.)

Mine was easily accessible, so easy to unplug and the car is going NOWHERE without it. I park at the airport all the time, so the car isn't going anywhere unless it's towed with a flatbed or tow truck.

They aren't covering your stereo because you didn't tell them about it when you installed it. If you inform your insurance company they will usually write you a rider for high value equipment like that. It pays faster with a lower deductible than homeowners insurance as well. One stop shopping when you are rebuilding makes it easy.

With allstate you have to have an added sound system coverage for anything but what's installed in factory locations, so my amp and sub aren't covered. Homeowner's insurance has a $500 deductible so I wouldn't get very much and would ultimately lose since the rate would just go up.

Yep it needs a new transmission. The syncros were shot, and each set would cost almost as much as what they quoted for a brand new tranny. The trouble hunting was apparently caused by a ruptured gasket which the dealer is having trouble finding at the moment. Either way it's gonna be weeks before I get it back.

• 3 months later...

PS Don't get the Viper 5701 alarm, it sucks! After weeks of trying to troubleshoot the thing (and not being able to get a hold of tech support due to a barrage of website redirects to dealers and faq pages) I find that apparently a lot of people had the same problem I'm having. The problem is either the brain, which was recalled at one point but I can't find out it mine is the fixed version or not, or the fob -- in which case a replacement is around 50 bucks, so it's not even worth trying imo when a whole alarm kit is like 100 on ebay.

Third alarm is the charm?

Hook a kill switch the the fuel pump relay and hook up a starter kill switch and hook up an ignition kill switch. Alarms will do nothing when you can easily just snip the wiring to the horn.

I may or may not have one or more kill switches now. This is why I wanted to upgrade to a 2-way alarm. The siren may be useless but a baseball bat sends a message. I was thinking about getting an electronic hood latch as an aux however to make it basically impossible to pop the hood without the fob, makes silencing the alarm much more challenging.

Off topic, but what kind of problems do you guys have with the alarm? I might be able to help. I install them quite a bit. Feel free to PM me.

No such thing as off topic here. It's just like I described above--after any button is pressed despite the fact that command worked, the fob gives you the out-of-range signal meaning it got no response from the brain. I tried rebooting. Some say that the antenna needs to be replaced but that only works for a select few. Others say some sort of resistor mod does it, but it's either temporary or not a reliable fix. I can't figure out how to get a hold of DEI to ask them if mine is one of those that should have been recalled or not.