HybridZ

Hybrid R230 Armada/300ZXTT Pictorial

231Z

as seen in this picture the flanges on the armada diff are slightly larger with a larger bolt spacing also.My question is, why cant you just re drill the armada output flange to match the 300zxtt/q45 bolt pattern and just bolt in armada diff in place of my q45 diff?

Good job!!

This picture blows me away, as I've never heard anyone state the bolt pattern of the 6 bolt R230 CV's had two different diameters...

post-826-12726364486887.jpg

as seen in this picture the flanges on the armada diff are slightly larger with a larger bolt spacing also.My question is, why cant you just re drill the armada output flange to match the 300zxtt/q45 bolt pattern and just bolt in armada diff in place of my q45 diff?

why cant you just re drill the armada output flange to match the 300zxtt/q45 bolt pattern and just bolt in armada diff in place of my q45 diff?

Because the side mounting ears on the Armada diff are in a different position and need a different front mount.

• 3 years later...

Was there ever any progress on this?

I have a 300zx twinturbo that I plan on using a 370z 6speed.

If I use the 3. 69 tt diff. It will be way too close of a gearing setup.

The armada 2.94 would be a good swap for it.

I was planning on using a 350x 3.36 rear due to the ease of the swap.. Besides welding in supports to bolt into my NA rear subframe.

Or an first few m45 has a 3.13 rear but no lsd.. That would require me to buy a 350z diff with lsd and swap that.

But this swap seems it would be the same amount of work and a stronger/more desired rear ratio.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello,

Just stopping in for this.

I did the 300ZXTT  carrier in to the Armada R230. 

Armada case
300ZX LSD

Ford Ratech shims to make the gears line up.

300ZX output shafts
Armada 2.94 gears
300ZX input flange
Billiit stubs

Did it in 2005. The first of its kind and all is well. Ran it a laguna, drag racing, 6500RPM clutch drops and all is good. If you need any info let me know.

• 3 months later...

Hi Cyrus,

I'm going to do this diff swap on my project (zeta-gt.com), so any info would be appreciated!

What bearings did you use and did you find a solution to the 2/3 engaging bearing? Also

what Ratech shims did you end up using? Any machining required in the end?

Thank you for any info and help you can give and have a nice day!

-OPTaiva

Hello,

Armada case
300ZX LSD

300ZX output shafts
Armada 2.94 gears
300ZX input flange
Billiit stubs

Did it in 2005. The first of its kind and all is well. Ran it a laguna, drag racing, 6500RPM clutch drops and all is good. If you need any info let me know.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/10/2015 at 9:10 PM, cyrus said:

Hello,

Armada case
300ZX LSD

300ZX output shafts
Armada 2.94 gears
300ZX input flange
Billiit stubs

Hello everyone,

This is an awesome write up, love the details so far! Kudos to everyone who shared!

I am currently trying to source the Ratech shims mentioned in the above post. From what I can gather from the Ratech website, the below kit is the only one that will come close to fitting without modifying the shims. They are 3.75mm too small on the O.D. and the listed thickness range is either all wrong or they forgot to put a "0.0" in front of the .440-.564.  Are these shims actual thickness 0.044 to 0.056"?

KIT                                          I.D.                                         O.D.                                          Thickness range

image.png.36de33c9439ede70435adf92945b7594.png

I also found this kit on Ratech's site, it seems like the thicknesses are more what we require for this, however it would also require a reduction in the O.D. size. which I would not want to pursue.

image.png.6c7fcc662bfc487117c2538e1c720b61.png

Curious if anyone has a Ratech kit number I can go off of.

Furthmore, can anyone confirm if the bearings mentioned in @speeder post on feb 14, 2011 help to alleviate the backlash issue? Copied below for reference.

"Don't know if Mike ZGAD passed this on to you, but while doing my diff (the initial one), Donny, the guy at the shop who did both Mike's and mine, had me research a thicker carrier bearing because he ran into this same thing. I came up with Timken # 32211 92KA "TRB-ISO ASSY" - I actually took the old bearing of the desired thickness into my local Miller Bearing store to match up. I think he used two of them - and the diff build was completed.

I think the way Donny knew that a thicker bearing was required was that he measured one of the old bearings removed from the Armada diff ( As best I recall - the desired ones may have been in the Z case), and found that they were thicker than the ones from the Z32. Memory is foggy but at one point He was thinking about making some shims but I believe the thicker bearing solved the problem. Mike's build went a lot smoother as a result"

I would love some feedback on this, I am currently trying to build my 3.36 ratio Armada diff with the Z32TT VLSD to put into my 72 240Z with the TTT R230 kit.

Thanks,

AJ

Edited by supersonicdatsun

• 1 year later...

Hey all,

I have a question for you guys.

I am looking at adding a Quaife Limited Slip that's for the 300ZX (R230) into an R230 Armada for better rear end traction off road. Do you think I can use the 3.69 gears and Quaife Helical LSD in an Armada Case?  Sorry, but I have researched this to death and I am dying to find the answer.

Thank you in advance.

So does that mean the R230 Input Flange is the same gearing/diameter? 

Thought process here:
3.69 Ring

3.69 Pinion

Armada Input Flange mated to the Z23 3.69 Pinion.

Does this make sense? I am in new waters and grasping for a life raft.

I wouldn't assume that the housing type guarantees the internals are the same.

I like to browse Rockauto or Nissan sites and look at part compatibility.  Click the part number in Rockauto and compatibility will show up.  The Nissan site is a little more tedious.

I chose 2008 for an example, a couple of parts.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2008,armada,5.6l+v8,1438226,drivetrain

https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissan_2008_Armada-SE-56L-V8-AT-4WD/Differential-Pinion-Bearing-Rear/89867147/38120-7S000.html

Edited by NewZed
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, NewZed said:

I wouldn't assume that the housing type guarantees the internals are the same.

I like to browse Rockauto or Nissan sites and look at part compatibility.  Click the part number in Rockauto and compatibility will show up.  The Nissan site is a little more tedious.

I chose 2008 for an example, a couple of parts.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,2008,armada,5.6l+v8,1438226,drivetrain

https://parts.nissanusa.com/p/Nissan_2008_Armada-SE-56L-V8-AT-4WD/Differential-Pinion-Bearing-Rear/89867147/38120-7S000.html

The problem with the parts sites that aren’t Nissan is they always assume that the rear sod is the same as the Titan. I checked the Nissan parts site in AU and then the Z32 and couldn’t find the full numbers. 

• 3 weeks later...

12 years later, a (dare I say it?) perennially interesting topic!  As was asked earlier in the thread, a bit of confusion: why exactly merge the Armada and Z32 parts, instead of just going all-Armada?  Oh, and the appeal of doing so: that 2.94 ratio, which is numerically smaller than anything that I've been able to find in the Ford 8.8" series, that being the most obvious competitor today.

Mounting the differential-housing is presumably an exercise in domestic-engineering (or somebody's kit).  And the half-shafts can presumably be shortened or otherwise modified by a competent shop.  The bigger quesion is what to do at the stub axles and companion flanges... that is, how to replace the factory Datsun stuff with components of strength comparable to that of the Armada.